• Blue Steel
    • DR
    • Martin
    • Dean Markley
    • Kerly Kues
    • Rotosound
    • Other

munky    0

I'm pretty much exclusively an Ernie Ball man. I use .10 gauge Slinkys on my Strat, .11's on my Les Paul and .11 gauge Earthwood's on my accoustic.

Donovan    0

D'addario on my electric at the moment, although I used to have Ernie Balls.

Not too sure what strings are on my acoustic and stuff... but, hehe :rolleyes: They kinda need to be replaced now that I think of it... Don't even remember when the last time was that happened... The strings may actually be older than ME! :whistling

WernHalen    0

I have used Plectrum Strings (tomatic infled) , which were by far the best strings i have ever used but they were just too darn expensive. Approximately $20 I have since started using D'Addario's on my accoustic $8 and ernie balls on my electric. I have tried blue steels and various others but have not been very happy with their sound or perfomance... At some point i was replacing strings every month but have since slowed down to about every two to three months...

The Blue steels might have been a dudd thought since i could never get it to tension... 3 and 4 strings just kept on stretching and stretching until it finally broke and never even reaching tension.... :(

Andy S    9

I've been using D'Addario EXL 110s for almost forever. I tried the Elixir brand when they first came out. Didn't care much for them. Recently tried Darco electrics. They're ok. Sound good at first but don't seem to sound as strong as long as the D'Addarios. A lot cheaper for a box of 10 sets. Around $27 U.S. for 10 sets.

I just restrung my Ibanez with some new strings. D'Addario EHR310. Half-rounds. Feel totally different than the regular EXLs. Sound very similar,though. Odd thing is the wound strings are darker, almost old looking, compared to the regular wound strings. I sent D'Addario an e-mail asking about this. Doesn't seem to effect the sound or tone. Wondering if it is due to the grinding down of the wrapped layer? Anyone here know for sure?

After I play with them for a week or so, I'll get back to you all with a final report. The regular EXLs cost around $3 to $4 U.S. when you buy them 10 or 3 sets at a time.

These EHR310s aren't available locally so I had to get them from Musicians Friend at $5 something a pack plus shipping. Came to around $8 a set after shipping charges.

So, They will have to sound as good or better or at least play better than the regulars for the cost difference. So far so good. I'll let you know in a while.

Blind Rat    0
Blind, why so emphatic about pure tone, is there something special about them that I should try them? I like trying different strings.

Anthony

Anthony,I get them for a good price,I have used most other brands and now have used Pure-Tone for about 5 years,also they are a local company and I like to support them.

I am an endorsee of the Pure-Tone company also You can find me on the endorsee page under the name Keith Beattie.

I always say try a new thing them you know!

Blind Rat

Andy S    9

Folks,

A few weeks ago I wrote: "I just restrung my Ibanez with some new strings. D'Addario EHR310. Half-rounds. Feel totally different than the regular EXLs. Sound very similar,though. Odd thing is the wound strings are darker, almost old looking, compared to the regular wound strings. I sent D'Addario an e-mail asking about this. Doesn't seem to effect the sound or tone. Wondering if it is due to the grinding down of the wrapped layer? "

Well I did get a reply from D'Addario, just a few days after I sent the question. The dark color is due to the type of steel as well as the grinding.

They play very well. That "Squeak" one hears sometimes when you don't get your fingers up all the way off the strings and then slide your hand around, well, doesn't happen with these. :thumbup1:

The tone is very much like the normal EXL strings. I am very happy with these things. Only issue I have is it seems like the only place to get them is Musician's Friend or direct from D'Addario. No one local carries them. :( And at Guitar center, one of the sales clerks there looked at me as if I had antennae coming out of my head when I asked if he could order them. Ah well.

Anyhow, I would recommend you try a set if you were interested in a smoother playing feel but a typical D'Addario tone.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

munky    0
Anthony,I get them for a good price,I have used most other brands and now have used Pure-Tone for about 5 years,also they are a local company and I like to support them.

I am an endorsee of the Pure-Tone company also You can find me on the endorsee page under the name Keith Beattie.

I always say try a new thing them you know!

Blind Rat

http://www.pure-tone.com/endorsing_artists/keith_beattie.html

That's cool as hell. I'd love to get the point where I could endorse something seriously like that. Good job. :thumbup1:

Folks,

A few weeks ago I wrote: "I just restrung my Ibanez with some new strings. D'Addario EHR310. Half-rounds. Feel totally different than the regular EXLs. Sound very similar,though. Odd thing is the wound strings are darker, almost old looking, compared to the regular wound strings. I sent D'Addario an e-mail asking about this. Doesn't seem to effect the sound or tone. Wondering if it is due to the grinding down of the wrapped layer? "

Well I did get a reply from D'Addario, just a few days after I sent the question. The dark color is due to the type of steel as well as the grinding.

They play very well. That "Squeak" one hears sometimes when you don't get your fingers up all the way off the strings and then slide your hand around, well, doesn't happen with these. :thumbup1:

The tone is very much like the normal EXL strings. I am very happy with these things. Only issue I have is it seems like the only place to get them is Musician's Friend or direct from D'Addario. No one local carries them. :( And at Guitar center, one of the sales clerks there looked at me as if I had antennae coming out of my head when I asked if he could order them. Ah well.

Anyhow, I would recommend you try a set if you were interested in a smoother playing feel but a typical D'Addario tone.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

How funny...another Guitar Center mystery shop...lol

Ernie Ball all the way on my electric, because I love their heavy bottom strings.

I've tried a lot of other brands of heavy bottoms, but always got back to Ernie Ball.

Dunno why, really. Probably because they are the easiest for me to find. :)

For my acoustic I use Elixir n' sometimes D'addario.

USGold    0

I have tried D'Addario's they are ok-but on My two accoustics I like Martin Marquis--nice tone , good feel right out of the envelope and they stay in tune real well on both My Seagull and My Ibenez AE, I have also found them to stay playable longer than the D'Addarios. For My LP style electric I like either Fender Bullets or Ernie Ball Slinky's

justinthyme    3

Well, this is timely - I wanted to post a question about this tonight - so here it is ...

Is there really a big difference between strings? I don't change mine often enough, but had to change earlier today due to a bust G-string (did I say that??) - which prompted the question.

I guess I'm too inexperienced to know the difference. I have re-strung my electric with D'Addarios today - guess I will see how they turn out for me.

Jim    0

I've been using Gibson Brite Wire lately on my Les Paul and I like them better than the Ernie Ball I had on before that. I'm getting a Strat - and I'll probably try several brands before settling on one.

Jim