• Aged between 16 and 21
    • Aged between 22 and 30
    • Aged between 31 and 40
    • Aged between 41 and 50
    • Aged between 51 and 60
    • Aged between 61 and 70
    • Aged 71+

gawd, we're a bunch of AARP wannbees.... LOL

Kirk, you should be flattered! Here you've got a bunch of retiree candidates and they all wanna play guitar. And where do they come? GFB!! See what you have done! You have helped motivate a passle load of people who have loved the guitar for years and years but never had the time or money. And now they do.

Kirk, dude! Yer a marketing genius! :)

.....and that folks, was just a light hearted joke to all of us elderly rockers. :)

Besides, we were rockin' before anyone knew what the word meant! Oh wait, ok, that was another jab .... hehehe.

Cripes, guys. Are we that old? ......NAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! We're just broke in! ;) And if you don't believe us, just ask our wives!

Garbage night? Already? ..... ackkkkkk .... brb ......

Les

Well for all us folks in the 41 - 50 age range, here's a great little article.....maybe you'll see yourself in it......

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/pacificnw02192006/coverstory.html

Excellent article, jp. Kinda makes me think I haven't gone off the deep end and begun living my second childhood after all. Looks like I've got plenty of company -- not only on this board but throughout Western civilization as well.

The author mentions something about baby-boomers (what's this crack about us being eligible for AARP membership? :angry: ) walking into a guitar store and being intimidated by the younger Van Halen wannabes with all their hip lingo and impressive fretboard techniques, about being "afraid to touch the neck of the guitar because it's so cherished."

I just so happened to be in my local store the other day browsing the electrics hanging on the wall. The owner was on the other side of the shop showing a customer the acoustics. He looked my way for a sec and merrily chirped, "Feel free to try any one of 'em out. If you have any questions, just ask." A really nice, helpful guy, lemme tell ya. But as much as I wanted to, I didn't dare hoist one from the wall and start fiddling around with it -- and not because I was afraid of damaging it's "cherished neck", or any other part of the instrument for that matter. As new as I am to the guitar, I'm just too damned embarrassed to pick one up in public and have people hear me plunking away at some half-assed intro I've barely got down. Just hearing the snickers of others is enough to keep me from picking up an axe in a store and start flailing away. Once I've got some time into it and a couple tunes under my belt, I just might dig up the confidence to pick up one of these beauties and go for it...but that's liable to be quite a while.

Led

Ledhead V-2:

I know what you mean. The intimidation level goes through the roof as soon as I walk through the doors. It's like they invented ordering on-line for guys like you and me. My wife keeps telling me I am better than I think I am and I have no reason to feel that intimidation. Someday, I might believe her.

Rick

Good for you, Rick...believe her! I'm happy when my wife recognizes a tune without my having to stop and sing it for her. And I seem to get nervous fingers as soon as I think someone is actually listening. Time to let it go!

Scott:

Yeah, that's exactly it, nervous fingers! As soon as there is a possibility that someone is listening all those things that I have been doing so well suddenly turn south. It has only been recently that I have gotten comfortable enough with my guitar teacher that I actually relax some of the time. Amazing how much better one plays with one is relaxed and having fun.

Rick

Ledhead V-2:

I know what you mean. The intimidation level goes through the roof as soon as I walk through the doors. It's like they invented ordering on-line for guys like you and me. My wife keeps telling me I am better than I think I am and I have no reason to feel that intimidation. Someday, I might believe her.

Rick

Hey, I just came up with an idea: I think I'll buy an ace bandage and the next time I visit a guitar store, I'll just slip it on before I walk through the door. :innocent: This way I'll feel comfortable handling/playing around with the merchandise and I'll have a built-in excuse for my lousy playing if I should catch some funny looks.

Led :shifty:

I sat on the deck over the weekend watching the grill and played for the birds...sounded like I might have a chance some day. Went inside and tried again and my fingers tripped all over themselves - and it was just my wife and sons as an audience. (they tolerate me because I made gumbo and chocolate-chip cookies)

Thanks, people, I now realise that it's not just me. I have only had a guitar for two months, I have tried to learn just one song "Love me Tender". I practice by myself (in the kitchen) and it sounds OK but the moment I go into the living room to show off to my wife I miss more notes than I hit and twang and buzz all the time.

For the Age Diversity -- I am 67, Played the trumpet in a part time Royal Air Force band about 45 years ago for a few years but gave up when I was demobbed.

Hey, I just came up with an idea: I think I'll buy an ace bandage and the next time I visit a guitar store

Led :shifty:

:clap: What a great idea!! Thanks for the tip. :sneaky2: I might just try that.

I play as though my hands are bandaged anyway. :D

Hi David

# 2 here .Always wanted to play an instrument and always loved the Guitar but also always assumed that fingers where to small A lot of hog wash that was.just went on to do other creative things in life instead .

The internet was a big factor in enabling me and giving me the confidence to start learning in my mid fourties at my own pace and for my own satisfaction , very fulfilling .I was glad to find out I was'nt alone either .

I'm 53 (soon to be 54).

I started guitar lessons at 15, played a lot until I was about 40 (mostly folk and pop/rock), then slacked off the guitar until last summer when I took it up really seriously again - this time with the Blues as my focus. I lost about 12 years not playing - but with a lot of practice I think I'm back to, and maybe getting ahead of, where I was at 40.

And I won't stop until I can't lift an acoustic!!! :yes:

Jim

62 in January and still a computer whiz kid. Guitar music has carried me for 46 years. And still learning and having fun.

gawd, we're a bunch of AARP wannbees.... LOL

Hey what do you mean AARP wannabee??? My wife ran out and got me a membership as soon as I was eligible. So now I'm paying her back by taking up the guitar. :-)

Well at least I'm in good company.

Oh... I forgot (LOL) 51.

I'm 4. Why isn't there an option for under 10? Neah, kiddin' :P

I'm actually 18 and was born on Christmas Day. Lucky me gets only one present :( . I hope I'll find the time to practice playing the guitar for years to come - timing the musical notes is soooo relaxing. Maybe one day I'll look back on this thread and see that I acheived what I wanted...

I'm getting old :crying: (kidding again :yes: )