Kirk Lorange

PlaneTalk Frequently asked Questions

6string    81
ok, i got some poker winnings in my pocket and a new source of regular income..... i will be oredering PT soon. quick question: $13 s/h from Australia..... what type of shipping? 1st class....?

oh, and any cynics or naysayers about?

Poker, so your a gambler eh?

Let me put it in gambling lingo, It's a sure thing :yes:

pastorbob    0

Kirk, I'm trying to figure out if I am a candidate for Plane Talk.

I have been playing guitar for nearly 10 years, but I started with acoustic, and was only thinking of learning a few cords so that I could play praise music for youth groups. I got better and better at playing cords, but then stagnated. Last year, I bought an electric guitar just to see what electrics were all about, and it ignited a passion to learn more. I am still playing cords, and I saw myself as more of a rhythm player. I do know the concept of scale, but only recently thought that I should really start practicing them. I do play some cords up the neck, but I don't play melody, or scales yet.

Am I ready for Plane Talk, or would it be over my head?

Kirk Lorange    128

Hi, pastorbob. I don't think PlaneTalk would be over anyone's head really. The main gist of it is so simple and straight forward that all but a real beginner would wonder what it's about.

If you're looking up the neck now, wondering how to make sense of it, wondering how to turn it all into usable, friendly fretboard, whether playing chords or making melody, you'll benefit from the lesson it teaches. It truly does 'decode' it all, gives you a reliable constant against which you can measure all that stuff ... it also allows you to pretty much bypass all that scale and mode practice. We players should all know what they are and where they differ, etc., but there really is no need to practice them endlessly unless you want to play scales and modes. Melody is something else, and PT will show you how to create melody from another angle.

I don't think you will regret ordering it you do, in fact I'm confident you will agree with me after tinkering with it for a little while that it's the most powerful guitar lesson you'll ever learn. If not, you can come here and the private PlaneTalkers' Forum and tell us all what a waste of money it was.

pastorbob    0
Hi, pastorbob. I don't think PlaneTalk would be over anyone's head really. The main gist of it is so simple and straight forward that all but a real beginner would wonder what it's about.

If you're looking up the neck now, wondering how to make sense of it, wondering how to turn it all into usable, friendly fretboard, whether playing chords or making melody, you'll benefit from the lesson it teaches. It truly does 'decode' it all, gives you a reliable constant against which you can measure all that stuff ... it also allows you to pretty much bypass all that scale and mode practice. We players should all know what they are and where they differ, etc., but there really is no need to practice them endlessly unless you want to play scales and modes. Melody is something else, and PT will show you how to create melody from another angle.

I don't think you will regret ordering it you do, in fact I'm confident you will agree with me after tinkering with it for a little while that it's the most powerful guitar lesson you'll ever learn. If not, you can come here and the private PlaneTalkers' Forum and tell us all what a waste of money it was.

Thanks Kirk for helping me understand where Plane Talk is in relation to where I am. Your "plain" talk couldn't have been any better! I have no doubt that it would not be a waste of money. I am a big believer in the concept that knowledge gained is never a waste. We may not understand how to apply it at first, but knowledge aquired will be there when the moment to apply it arrives. Give me a few days, and then I will make my order. Kirk, I appreciate your time in answering my question.

solidwalnut    5

Bob--

I know it's already been said here in this thread and a million times elsewhere...

There are so many guitar 'lessons' and 'trick books' and 'methods' out there, it's incredible. Do most of them have valuable info? Absolutely. Are most of them presented in a way that can be easily absorbed and understood? Hardly!

PT is presented in such a brilliantly simple way that I believe most guitarists will immediately see the benefit, whether they soak it all up right away or not. One of the most immediate benefits is that there are several little lightbulbs that go off right up front so that it makes the book a page turner.

Bob, you always see yourself as a rhythm player. Excellent! That's what it takes to be good at this!

Steve

gasbag    54

I have read this entire thread at least 87 times trying to figure out if I am ready for this and I have decided that I am, maybe, sorta, kind of, what the heck what can I lose? I can only learn things. I seem to fit in to pasterbob's skill level and interests.

However I have looked everywhere and the only two payment methods I find are either Paypal or credit card. I do not have a Paypal account and I will not put my credit card number out over the internet. If I needed a heart transplant I wouldn't do it. I am old so I am rather stuck in my ways.

Is there a phone number I can use to complete the transaction? If not, I will have to work with my son in another city to order this through his Paypal account.

Sorry to be a pain. Thanks for any info you can give me.

gasbag    54
Hi Gasbag, scroll down to the bottom of the page and use "contact us" should be able to work something out I'm sure.

Your gonna luv PT :yes::thumbup1:

Thanks. I did not even know that was there. I will give it a try.

Kirk Lorange    128

Hi, gasbag ... I've been traveling the last couple of days so this is the first chance I've had to respond.

I'm afraid I no longer have a merchant account, so phoning me would not work; I think asking your son to use his Paypal account is the best way, but I have to say that I've been buying stuff off the Internet for years now, using both my credit cards and my Paypal account and I've never once had anything bad happen to me. I think it's much safer than using cards in restaurants and gas stations where all kinds of people can look at the paperwork. That's when I worry!

gasbag    54

Kirk,

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. I sent a message via your "contact us" icon yesterday, which I assume is an email. I explained why I don't put out my credit card number on the internet.......my eldest son lost his credit rating buying an item on the net from a very reputable company using his credit card. Someone had a lot of fun with his card number. Two years later he has almost recovered. That is in no way a comment against you. It is just what happened. My youngest son let his Paypal expire. Paypal requires my life's history to let me use them. I ain't going there. So that is out. Soooooo, I guess that means I am up the veritable flowing body of water bordered by banks without a wooden locomotive device. (Figure that out if you can):yes:

I appreciate your response. I will continue to frequent this site. I love it. I have learned a lot already and am enjoying the company of a group of very nice people.

Have a good day,

gasbag

Kirk Lorange    128

Oh boy. What a horror story! I'm sorry to hear about that.

Yes, up the creek without a paddle unless you want to try direct depositing to my account here in Australia. I do it often with my family in Canada, but I know some banks make it more difficult than others. Personal Message me if you'd like the details.

Nick M.    0

Hi Kirk

I have just had my birthday and have a bit of spare cash so I am considering getting PT, how long would it take to ship to the UK as a matter of interest?

Nick

si16    10
Hi Kirk

I have just had my birthday and have a bit of spare cash so I am considering getting PT, how long would it take to ship to the UK as a matter of interest?

Nick

It should take about 7-10 days Nick, usually nearer 7.

BrianSVLee    0

Hi Kirk,

I am from Malaysia, after reading so many positive feedbacks, I finally convinced and placed my order. Wonder how long does it take to ship to Malaysia. :yeahhh:

Thanks

holbrook    0

Hi Kirk, Im interested in buying Plane talk, what I've read so far about it makes alot of sense. Is it left handed friendly though? Ive noticed with alot of software and scale diagrams they only show diagram pictures with the nut is on the left (i.e right handers perspective) and my poor weak mind has to try and reverse it. Although when the nut is shown at the top I have alot less trouble.

What method does plane talk use?

Kirk Lorange    128

Ho, holbrook. The slide rule can be rotated any old way, so it's not much of a problem. The DVD however uses footage and graphics with the nut on the left.

If you tip your TV upside down, put it behind you and work off a mirror in front of you, I think you'll be alright. :winkthumb:

WernHalen    0

:laughingg: Kirk i can just see the scenario...

:laughingg:

It could end up like one of those situations where someone walks in and you just dont know what to say cause you know you look like a fool.

:laughingg:

Holbrook, I dont think the fretboard direction will be too much of a stumbling block. The PT method is supposed to free you from reading tabs to understand the music... hhhmmmm That might not sound right...

In essence i dont think it will be a major problem. I actually think your problem will actually help to cement the PT method better. The fact that you have difficulty looking at the fretboard drawings will force you to use the PT method rather than read what is being played.

Good luck...

Kirk Lorange    128

THanks for adding that, WernHalen, and you're right. If you learn the lesson PT teaches, which in essence is dead simple, then you won't need to refer to any diagrams or grids ever again. Turning the PT mindset from right handed to left handed will be no problem whatsoever.

holbrook    0

cheers guys, i think ill grab a copy next pay. I should be used to mirroring images in my head by now (being a lefty). I dont have much problem following a right handed guitarist while im playing (i actually find it easier than another lefty since most people i play with are right handers) the thing that usually makes me think twice is the way people notate scales/patterns on the fretboard (yes i know you are teaching us to get away form the scale methodology but just to show my point).

So most people would show A minor pentatonic pattern 1 as:

0__1___2___3___4___5___6___7___8___9

e|---|---|---|---|-R-|---|---|-x-|---|---

b|---|---|---|---|-x-|---|---|-x-|---|---

g|---|---|---|---|-x-|---|-x-|---|---|---

d|---|---|---|---|-x-|---|-R-|---|---|---

a|---|---|---|---|-x-|---|-x-|---|---|---

E|---|---|---|---|-R-|---|---|-x-|---|---

which is completely backwards to me if that makes any sense.