Ledhead V-2

"First Act" guitars

I was poking around in K-Mart the other day browsing their dvd/cd section and came across an acoustic guitar sporting the brand name "First Act", priced at $100. Having never heard of the maker before and taking into consideration that I was indeed afterall in K-Mart :oops: , I went home and did a search on them. From what I can gather, they're a pretty decent affordable alternative for newbies who aren't quite ready to step up to an Ovation, Martin, Ibanez, etc.

I have a "starter" electric and amp and I'm in the market for a low-priced acoustic to use as mainly as a travel guitar. Anyone here have any experience/knowledge of these guitars? Would I be wasting my money shelling out a c-note for one?

thanks,

Bob

I was poking around in K-Mart the other day browsing their dvd/cd section and came across an acoustic guitar sporting the brand name "First Act", priced at $100. Having never heard of the maker before and taking into consideration that I was indeed afterall in K-Mart :oops: , I went home and did a search on them. From what I can gather, they're a pretty decent affordable alternative for newbies who aren't quite ready to step up to an Ovation, Martin, Ibanez, etc.

I have a "starter" electric and amp and I'm in the market for a low-priced acoustic to use as mainly as a travel guitar. Anyone here have any experience/knowledge of these guitars? Would I be wasting my money shelling out a c-note for one?

thanks,

Bob

They are not well thought of by most experienced players. It is pretty hard to find a reasonable guitar for a 100 bucks. UGB sells Waldens for about 199 U.S. which is a pretty good bang for the buck. You might do better in pawn shops too. If you read reviews for most guitars in the 100 dollar range, they all seem to end the same way. "It was ok for a year til I could buy something better" so these guitars should be considered a short time investment with no resale value.

Thanks, AT, that's settles it -- No "First Act" acoustic for me.

Never entered my head to try a pawn shop though and there's one right around the corner from me...

Maybe I'll give 'em a look-see within the next couple days.

Bob

It's always good to troll the pawn shops on a regular basis. I could have picked up a Normanb20 acoustic electric for 127 canadian if I'd I had been faster. Thats over 75% 0ff retail. I see something good and take a day or two to think about it and it's gone when I go back. Arrrrgh.

There is not much difference to a beginner between an electric and an acoustic. You need to learn the same basics for each. As you get more experienced, then you start the never ending quest for the perfect electric guitar tone. That is pretty subjective so it is a matter of listening to players and finding out what their gear is and how they use it.

Do you have a particular question in mind?

I would like to point you to my website where I have collected some 'wisdom' about first guitars http://www.jcdisciples.org/guitar/howtobuy.html

I have a few friends who think that the Squier or Les Paul starter packages are not a bad first electric guitar. They might need to be setup when you first buy them but they are playable. Acoustic guitars need to be 'right' or they are impossible to play. Plan on spending about $250 for a new beginner acoustic guitar.