WernHalen

Concentrating

Hey,

I have mentioned this a couple of times before, but I have struggled with a mild case of lysdexia when i was younger... Sepcifically with regards to maths... :dunno:

Anyway I am having problems with putting together full free flowing solo's. I play short licks and then i miss a couple of notes and then I pick it up again. It seems that I cant concentrate on the notes enough to see where I should be going next. I get carried away in the music and then I forget where I was and where I was going... This is sometimes (seldom though) a problem even for music that i know and have played fluently before... :crying2:

Anybody have similar problems? Have you found anyway to get around this?

That's a tough one Wern, maybe someone will come up with an answer. I'm afraid I don't have any suggestion as I have no experience of dyslexia. Glad to see you back at the forum though. How's Christmas in sunny SA? :winkthumb:

Dyslexia only hinders one's ability to compute things they read. At least, as far as I know that is all it does.

I guess my advice would be for you to just slow down. Work at soloing at a slower pace and allow yourself more time to feel what you are doing. If you struggle with something guitar-playing related... Slow down and give yourself a fighting chance!

Dyslexia is not that simple Ex. Some get hit harder than others. It can effect how well you can process linear information as well as spacial relationships like left and right, clockwise- counter clockwise. Pattern recognition etc.

I feel your pain, I have even more trouble than you with my dyslexia. The only thing that saved me was Kirk's Plane Talk material. I would still be held hostage to playing tabs only if I hadn't stumbled over his stuff. It will definitely help you keep track of where you are in a tune.

I would also recommend slowing down to--as one just said--give yourself a fighting chance.

If your situation/condition continues to get in the way you will have to overcome it somehow. Since you cannot eradicate it (my understanding is that is an immutable characteristic) you will have to compensate. A good friend of mine had a substantial case of dyslexia. Through logic tricks, hard work, hard work, and hard work, he was top of his class in my law school. He told me his secret: he had to know the material that much better to compensate.

I can only say that slowing down and mastering your moves would probably put you in position that you would have more gas in your tank than you would ordinarily need. You may have to get to the point where you can work a couple steps ahead of yourself (mentally) and see mistakes or the abrupt stoppage before it even happens.

Whatever you do, do not give up! Just be persistent and do not worry.

Your story is inspiring to me. Keep going.

Dyslexia is not that simple Ex. Some get hit harder than others. It can effect how well you can process linear information as well as spacial relationships like left and right, clockwise- counter clockwise. Pattern recognition etc.

I did not know that! Learn something new everyday. I have dyslexia, to a very small degree though. It never really hindered me at all. I would have to re-read some things at times, but it generally never affected me.

Dyslexia's no fun, my Daughters Fiance has it and he suffered at School because he was also aggressive and impatient, the Teachers had him down as a hopeless case which shouldn't really happen these days; because of his wasted years my Daughter had to teach him to read and write and we have spent the last 2 years boosting his confidence and making him believe in himself, now he is doing well at college all his aggression has gone and he is a much happier person.

I don't know if this will help WernHalen but could you record your sessions, then if you miss a bit out you have a record of where you were and where you went wrong and will allow you to record sections of the piece and move onto the next part, so you are cutting a session into bitesize pieces rather than trying to do the whole thing in one go, I hope I'm making sense and that it might give you an idea.

Good to see you around again:winkthumb:

Best Wishes

Chris

Ok... I wanted to come back in here and apologize to any and all people who have dyslexia, or know someone with dyslexia. I want to apologize for my ignorance on the subject. If I offended you, or made you feel belittled at all, I am sorry.

I just wanted to make sure I apologized just in case anyone was offended and hasn't voiced their opinions.

Happy Holidays!

Naw. I'm good Ex. The details of dyslexia are pretty obscure. Even 10 years ago, kids were still slipping through the cracks. Our neighbour's boy, who was an average friendly kid, turned surly and started heavily drinking when he hit high school. My wife started to tutor him in math and twigged that he was dyslexic and advised the school to test him. She was right. They gave him special help for kids like him and he turned back into his sunny self. He couldn't fake his way through his classes anymore when he hit grade 9. That's what triggered his change.

Thanks for all the good wishes...

Carol, I have been visiting the board sporadically for some time now but i dont really have the time to contribute that much anymore... :(

AT, I did exactly that, I struggled at school with math because of my dyslexia... All my other subjects I did well in but maths was my nemesis... I had to re read every question, until one day when a new lecturer taught me a new way of doing maths... I now look at a math problem and writhe down the answer. It makes the probability of making a mistake with writing down steps so much less. I still got about the same marks, but I was much less frustrated and I did not work nearly as hard... ;)

I have tried recording the stuff I play, although I don't do that nearly enough... I usually learn a new song section by section, but when all else fails I usually play by ear, with PlaneTalk of course, which can or can not be a success, depending on which band I am playing with... Luckily I am never really held to playing a song exactly like the original, except with SIAM, but their songs i know pretty well.

I am changing jobs in the new year so I might not be back in here for a while...

Again thank you for all the good wishes, if I don't see you all in here again before then have a great new year... :drinking:

Good luck with the new job. Just don't forget us altogether, and visit us when you can. How is your little boy? I can't remember what name you eventually decided on. Any more yet??

I feel for you wern. I know there was a kid when I was in primary school, that was given a hard time by teachers a classed as dumb, but when he went to secondary school (but not until he was 14) our tech drawing tutor spotted that he had got a lot of talant in most area's until it came to the reading and writing. He was sent to another school for children with special needs, and his mother kicked up a lot of dust. He was sent back to secondary (High school) and given some personal tuition. That very person works for the UK civil service in the treasury in London.

My daughter has dyslexia and has a terrible time in math and in writing classes. However, she is overcompensated in one area in that she is a very good artist and has won numerous art awards. With her math the problem is that the school teaches one way to work a problem. As a mathematician myself, I was able to show her alternative ways of solving problems. We would try different methods until one clicked and she was able to remember the process. For writing, I found a technique called "mind map" which is great for outlining your ideas in an artistic way. Well worth it to learn. Use it myself to write papers for work.

Anyway, the motive in this reply is that you may not learn the way everyone else does, like my daughter, but you can learn given the correct method. You need to find a method that works for you. It may not be the normal way everyone else learns, but there is a method that will work for you. It may be with the Plain Talk. Perseverance will pay off.

Good Luck,

Steve

Gee wizz... It has been a while since i have been on here...

Time sure flies when your havinf fun, but it still does not slow down when you are not having fun either...

Anyway I have since moved to my new job and i have moved house... I have started a new hobby, Archery, and I am still learning the geetar...

I have definatly grown in my playing since I have been on here, but alas not nearly far and fast enough for my liking... Now that I am in the new house I might be playing a bit more since it is closer to work and the traffic is reduced to almost nothing... The nice farm atmosphere also does wonders for ones stress, anxiety, artistic etc. levels.

I think might have broken the code on my dyslexia problem... when i get confused i resort back to the PT method and I just play within the I,V,IV chords of the key. I know this is not really the best way out but it helps me out in a tight fix and it sounds ok as long as there is not any out of key chords. Apart from this i just keep at it and things are getting better.

I have been complemented on my playing very often now and am starting to think i am making progress as well. until about two/three weeks ago. I am having difficulty concentrating again, and my moral about my playing is low again... That is the reason why i made a concerted effort to join the forum again after a long absence.

Hopefully i will be able to make some contributions during my hectic schedule...

• Family
  • Work
  • Band
  • Business
  • Studies

Rant rant rant...

I actually just wanted to add something short to the post about how my problem has reduced, but then... :dunno::isaynothing:

Glad to see you back, WernHalen. Good to hear everything is going well. Keep your chin up and keep playing, you're probably just in one of those temporary "slumps" that we all go through! :yes: It sounds like all the conditions are right and the willpower is there, so I'm sure you'll see a turnaround in no time.

Hi WernHalen,

Good to see you around again and that things are going well for you, I agree with Stratrat about your recent setback, your post says how well you've done and people like hearing you play maybe you just need a bit of time to take stock, my future son in law who as I mentioned has dyslexia recently hit a bad patch, we thought he was going to drop out of college but with some support we managed to turn it around he did get quite depressed though. You have the ability so I'm sure you can get back on track, I wish you the best of luck and once again good to see you back.

Best Wishes

Chris

Hi Wern - we missed you! I'm sure you will hang in there because you always have done in the past. I find your determination to keep going is an inspiration. I know I don't spend enough time practicing in an organised way, and I don't have dyslexia (that I know of).

One thing though......how does dyslexia and Archery go together!!!! Hopefully your spacial skills can keep you aiming in the right general direction, or do your friends and family wear armour? :laughingg:

Thanks for the good wishes everyone,

I am sure it will pick up again... It always does...

it is fun to see all my old compatriots are still very active on the forum and that they still remember me... ;)

Carol,

I am actually fairly good at this archery thing... I grew up shooting guns all my life and even though shooting a bow is completely different I have the muscles trained that help to keep me steady.

I am not brillinat and there are lots of people that are better than me but i am doing well based onthe time I have been doing it. Especially if you consider my level compared to my level of guitar playing vs. the time i have been doing it...

Hopefully the more relaxed lifestyle will help with my concentration on the geetar as well.

I think you can relax. I only recently started to get out of the very place you are in (but it seems you are getting there). It started with the pentatonic scales; my teacher would give me one, I would learn it, then he would give me another and say "Integrate this with what you already know". I would rip along and then hit a wall, totally lost as to where to go next. I can now move through all of the pentatonic scales with ease but guess what, he's throwing modes at me now. :isaynothing:

Wayne

Hi Wern--

Glad to see you back on the boards. I'm not on here as much as I would like, but....

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that your new life changes have been agreeing with you. I know that a change of life's speed as you've done will most likely do you a great service as far as learning the git.

I just wanted to share with you my brief story about learning the guitar. I took some test years ago when I was in grade school that said I had some pretty big disparities and learning disabilities. The bottom line of it was that the test told the experts that I would never be able to do anything very well if it had to include brain-hand coordination.

That was back before they had names for all this stuff, so who knows what they come up with. But I saw this as being inherited: my dad is pretty much this way and his mother would trip over a twig when it got in her way...

So I tried not to take this too much to heart. When I decided to learn to play at the age of 12, I learned what I could because I spent an enormous amount (probably some would say imbalanced) of time learning to find the note or sequence of notes that I just heard. Or to listen to a recording and then tell myself 'what chord was that they just played? Was it a G chord? If it was, was it a barre shape of some kind? What were the sequence of notes I just heard (not names. I'd just hum them back to myself and then find them on the guitar)'.

I just kept telling myself that if they could do it, so could I. Hey, there's only so many ways somebody can play a G chord, and these people playing were most likely playing it the most simple way they could...or they were playing the chord where they were on the neck because of the sequence of notes they wanted.

To me, it's all about the ear. It's all about listening, listening, listening and then learning to play back what you hear. Not to become the fanciest guitar player out there, but just to master the basics.

At the same time, I learned basic rhythm. I learned to listen to what they were playing and then tap back what I heard. Then I'd try to incorporate that into learning to strum. They were separate, but inseparable, issues.

Steve

Steve,

Thank you for the wonderfull inspiration. I have in the last couple of days been practicing more regularly and with a new love of the sound form the guitar.

Even though i understood the principles of Planetalk and I swear by it I was never able to see the whole fretboard in one go, but I seem to be getting this right as well.

Now I just need to sharpen my rhythm playing and I will be happy... I am practicing with a metronome but I find certain fast movements with my hands just does not want to happen :( It is a lot better than it was three years ago but i just dont seem to move my hands fast enough and with the amount of control necessary...

Practice practice practice... :guitarguy:

... For writing, I found a technique called "mind map" which is great for outlining your ideas in an artistic way. Well worth it to learn. Use it myself to write papers for work.

Do you have a link to information on this? My youngest daughter has real problems in school. She is going into grade 8 and still can't right complete sentences. She has serious difficulty putting her thoughts into words. She struggles in math as well. So if you have any tips there, that would be great.

She has been diagnosed with ADD and short term memory problems. I think there is more than that and she is slotted to be retested this year.

Sorry this doesn't relate to guitar, but I thought I could get away with it once LOL.

Thanks.

Nutty

Glad to hear you are hanging in there Wern. Moving the hands and fingers fast enough? Exactly, and remembering what note comes next :eek: It takes me an embarrassingly long time before I get it into my dumb-skull brain. I get distracted by the harmony/sound as I play and instead of knowing/thinking about what comes next, I'm thinking 'mmm, that sounds fastastic'....or 'this is going really well'.....and then stumble, crash, disaster and start over again, and again. and again......

But I love it :guitarguy:

Good to hear from you again Wern :winkthumb:

Carol,

Things are hectic on my side at the moment, but i have decided that i have to make time for all the things that make my life enjoyable.

Like you i also start playing something :leadguitar:, think to myself: "hey this sounds gre..." crash boom bang... :mad: ok lets start over... :leadguitar:

Nutty, sorry to hear about your daughter... I cant really say anything for the mind map thing, but I can definitely say that I benefitted from a program called Audiblox...

I was labled as being a bright young kid at primary school but due to my attention span it was said that i would flunk out of school at a young age... My mother bought audiblox and we did the exercises religeously. My school work inmproved drastically and I actually enjoyed classes more. Today I am an engineer and I can concentrate on things for a more than a couple of minutes.

Maybe i should buy some audiblox again just to sharpen my pencil again... plus it would be great for my kids...

good luck...