Rockerbob

Hybrid Picking Demo Video

65 posts in this topic

Here is a video I put together as a demonstration of hybrid picking. That is, fingerpicking while holding a flatpick. I'm not much of a teacher, but I was having fun playing with 2 cameras and video editting software, which allowed me to inset a closer view of my right hand. Anyway, this is almost 10MB, so it might be a while if you are on dialup.

Hybrid Picking

Great video Bob. There is a group of finger style players (Bob Wolford, Wayne Brown, Paul Denton, Jim Deeming and a few others that I can't remember) that have periodic meetings in the Denver area. They play mostly Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed music. If you weren't aware of the meetings, I can get info when the next meeting will be held and pass it on to you.

I have to kick myself in the posterior for moving back to Ohio after living in the Denver area for three years :(

Thanks Larry! I'm not really a fingerstyle player. I just have a couple tunes. I'm mostly a pop/country/rock player. I don't get out much anyway! :)

Whoa, I missed this one, really nice, nice video technique too. twin cameras eh? I've tried that hybrid technique but find it hard to do, I go back to using my thumb.

nice video, nice tune too!

Oh yes there is! I just don't post anything that gets too close to the end of my talent. I play and record much more stuff than anyone ever gets to hear. Like the weird groove thing in 13/8. No one wants to hear that poop.

I really like the hybrid style, so much so that I have used no other style, for all my playing, for more than 25 years. I do lots with a flatpick, but I also do lots with fingerpicking. I used to switch from a thumbpick to a flatpick depending on the song. I got tired of switching and just learned to live without the index finger when fingerpicking. Hey! Whatever works for you.

Hey Rockerbob, thanks very much for posting that. I've paid heaps of dollars for big name DVD's on this subject that are not as well produced. Still find that hybrid picking hard but your demo is not only very clear and enjoyable listening, but really inspires me to keep trying. Thanks. :):thumbup1:

John

Whoa, that's some impressive stuff there Bob. I'd give my left foot to have that kind of co-ordination with all of my fingers at once. :)

Man, that is impressive. Seems like you have two hands on the end of your picking hand. I think you must be hard wired for that. Always enjoy your post. Look forward to hearing more!

mjwjr

Great playing Bob! I do a lot of hybrid picking myself but haven't had much success with it doing alternating bass lines like that on acoustic. I mainly use it for regular soloing. Feel free to check out some the You Tube clips at myspace.com/brettgarsed and see if any of it is of interest. You've inspired me to get working on my acoustic and make it happen!

Cheers,

Brett.

Thanks for the video, Bob. I had a chance to see it today. All I can say is, it's great. I'm trying to learn hybrid picking these days and I have a minor question. In the video you were not using your right hand pinkie. Do you also use it in other songs you play?

Thanks for the video, Bob. I had a chance to see it today. All I can say is, it's great. I'm trying to learn hybrid picking these days and I have a minor question. In the video you were not using your right hand pinkie. Do you also use it in other songs you play?

I don't use the pinky on my right hand. At least not for guitar picking. Nose picking perhaps...

That's just the way I learned to play and it works for me.

That was very very cool, Bob!!! Wow! Nice fingers, shame about the ring..hehehe

I'm starting to do something similar, just didn't know what it was called, but I'm going to watch this a few times and see if anything gels in my old brain.

Thank you for doing this - it really IS excellent!

Elle

Anything gels in my old brain

Ohhh big call there maybe some sticky paste or glue might help , he he he he he he

Nice clip , I would love to do that :)

I don't use the pinky on my right hand. At least not for guitar picking. Nose picking perhaps...

That's just the way I learned to play and it works for me.

Thanks for replying. :yes:

That was cool RB... Don't know how I missed that one. Now the curtain is torn down on the mysterious RB sound! Now, with only 20 years of practice to emulate it I'll be all set!