Hybrid Picking Demo Video

60 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rockerbob

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,483 posts
  • Joined 01-February 06

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:38 AM

Here is a video I put together as a demonstration of hybrid picking. That is, fingerpicking while holding a flatpick. I'm not much of a teacher, but I was having fun playing with 2 cameras and video editting software, which allowed me to inset a closer view of my right hand. Anyway, this is almost 10MB, so it might be a while if you are on dialup.

Hybrid Picking

#2 OFFLINE   LarryKu

• Active Members
  • 56 posts
  • Joined 29-October 05

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:00 PM

Great video Bob. There is a group of finger style players (Bob Wolford, Wayne Brown, Paul Denton, Jim Deeming and a few others that I can't remember) that have periodic meetings in the Denver area. They play mostly Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed music. If you weren't aware of the meetings, I can get info when the next meeting will be held and pass it on to you.

I have to kick myself in the posterior for moving back to Ohio after living in the Denver area for three years :(

#3 OFFLINE   Rockerbob

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,483 posts
  • Joined 01-February 06

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:21 PM

Thanks Larry! I'm not really a fingerstyle player. I just have a couple tunes. I'm mostly a pop/country/rock player. I don't get out much anyway! :)

#4 OFFLINE   PickNGrin

• Active Members
  • 281 posts
  • Joined 04-December 05

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:35 PM

Whoa, I missed this one, really nice, nice video technique too. twin cameras eh? I've tried that hybrid technique but find it hard to do, I go back to using my thumb.
nice video, nice tune too!

#5 OFFLINE   joehere1

• Active Members
  • 200 posts
  • Joined 18-January 06

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:57 PM

very nice rockerbob :clap: :clap: :clap: is there no end to your talent:thumbup1:
i enjoyed that one very much

#6 OFFLINE   Rockerbob

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,483 posts
  • Joined 01-February 06

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:12 AM

Oh yes there is! I just don't post anything that gets too close to the end of my talent. I play and record much more stuff than anyone ever gets to hear. Like the weird groove thing in 13/8. No one wants to hear that poop.

I really like the hybrid style, so much so that I have used no other style, for all my playing, for more than 25 years. I do lots with a flatpick, but I also do lots with fingerpicking. I used to switch from a thumbpick to a flatpick depending on the song. I got tired of switching and just learned to live without the index finger when fingerpicking. Hey! Whatever works for you.

#7 OFFLINE   737blues

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 26-November 05

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:38 PM

Hey Rockerbob, thanks very much for posting that. I've paid heaps of dollars for big name DVD's on this subject that are not as well produced. Still find that hybrid picking hard but your demo is not only very clear and enjoyable listening, but really inspires me to keep trying. Thanks. :) :thumbup1:

John

#8 OFFLINE   munky

• Active Members
  • 214 posts
  • Joined 12-February 06

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:33 AM

Whoa, that's some impressive stuff there Bob. I'd give my left foot to have that kind of co-ordination with all of my fingers at once. :)

#9 OFFLINE   Rockerbob

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,483 posts
  • Joined 01-February 06

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:38 PM

Thanks! I feel it at least shows the basic technique of using a flatpick and fingers.

#10 OFFLINE   mjwjr

• Active Members

• 262 posts
  • Joined 04-March 05

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:41 PM

Man, that is impressive. Seems like you have two hands on the end of your picking hand. I think you must be hard wired for that. Always enjoy your post. Look forward to hearing more!

mjwjr

#11 OFFLINE   yakbutter

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 24 posts
  • Joined 13-March 06

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:16 AM

Really cool. How is your guitar tuned? DADGAD? Open D?

#12 OFFLINE   Rockerbob

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,483 posts
  • Joined 01-February 06

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:45 AM

It's DADGAD.

#13 OFFLINE   Roadsey

Newcomer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 29-July 07

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:05 PM

New boy to the site but really enjoyed that, something for a new boy to aim at.
Thanks roadsey

#14 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,019 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:13 PM

Nice video demo Rocker.
Glad it came up again or I would have never seen this.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#15 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:32 PM

Good stuff.

#16 OFFLINE   bretto212

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 15-November 05

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:03 AM

Great playing Bob! I do a lot of hybrid picking myself but haven't had much success with it doing alternating bass lines like that on acoustic. I mainly use it for regular soloing. Feel free to check out some the You Tube clips at myspace.com/brettgarsed and see if any of it is of interest. You've inspired me to get working on my acoustic and make it happen!
Cheers,
Brett.

#17 OFFLINE   scorpius

• Active Members
  • 569 posts
  • Joined 28-June 07

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:54 AM

Thanks for the video, Bob. I had a chance to see it today. All I can say is, it's great. I'm trying to learn hybrid picking these days and I have a minor question. In the video you were not using your right hand pinkie. Do you also use it in other songs you play?
w@v

#18 OFFLINE   Rockerbob

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,483 posts
  • Joined 01-February 06

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:49 AM

scorpius said:

Thanks for the video, Bob. I had a chance to see it today. All I can say is, it's great. I'm trying to learn hybrid picking these days and I have a minor question. In the video you were not using your right hand pinkie. Do you also use it in other songs you play?

I don't use the pinky on my right hand. At least not for guitar picking. Nose picking perhaps...

That's just the way I learned to play and it works for me.

#19 OFFLINE   Aunt Doty

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,577 posts
  • Joined 24-January 07

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:41 PM

Excellent video Bob! I enjoyed it, but have no illusions that I will be able to do that anytime soon !
Music is a universal language!

#20 OFFLINE   Ellenback1

• Active Members
  • 500 posts
  • Joined 10-April 07

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:01 PM

That was very very cool, Bob!!! Wow! Nice fingers, shame about the ring..hehehe
I'm starting to do something similar, just didn't know what it was called, but I'm going to watch this a few times and see if anything gels in my old brain.

Thank you for doing this - it really IS excellent!

Elle
I love my computer; all my friends are in it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users