swnut96

Beginner Electric Guitar

:) Hi everyone :)

I am going to get an electric guitar because I do not have one yet but I would love to have one. What is a good beginner electric guitar but is under $200? Or is there no such thing as a good guitar under $200? I dont know. :dunno: I read reviews and some people think that a Jay Turser JT 300 pack with picks, gig bag, and beginner amp would be the one to go with. Any suggestions? :dunno:

Thanks! :smilinguitar:

Getting a guitar and an amp for 200 bucks is going to limit you to starter packs. Your best bet is to go into a guitar shop and look at the starter packs they have. One reason to do this other than over the net is that you can ask the shop to do a rough setup which should be included in the price. Another is that you can do a basic quality check on the guitar for the most common flaws in low end guitars.

Check the edges of the frets. You don't want a guitar that has fret wire sticking out over the sides of the neck.

Make sure the strings are centered over the neck. Sometimes the bridge is off center.

Finish flaws that are just cosmetic can be ignored.

Look at the heel of the neck. You don't want to see any gaps between the neck and the body.

Buy a set of strings and see if they will change them for you for free when you buy the guitar. The strings are usually dead and incredibly cheap on these guitars. Most likely the guitar will be strung with 9 gauge because they are the cheapest to buy in bulk. In a few months when you are more comfortable with your electric, you might want to move up to 10s.

Keep in mind that this is just your first guitar so it doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be playable long enough for you to be ready to move up to a a better quality guitar.

The Turser is an ok choice.

2nd hand might be a good choice, Epiphones for instance lose value very quickly or a decent Squirer. With the depreciation should bring them down to to on near that price.

They may have even been set up well and come with a amp as well.

You might be better off waiting and save some cash to get the choice correct from the start.

See... I don't think beginners need an amp for their electric. You can get a 6' 1/8"(3.5) cable and an adapter. Turn it into a cable to connect your guitar to your pc's line in. Then you get amplitube or any of the free amp simulators for the pc. There you go, a free amp. ;)

Allthumbs and Krissovo both gave you some great suggestions. I own one Turser and it's not a bad guitar at all. Others to look at would be the Agile line linked by eXperiment63, the Rondo SX models, or Squiers. Felixdcat mentioned Yamaha - their "Pacifica" line are said to be decent guitars.

As far as an amp goes, you'd be much happier saving up for a bit longer and spending $125 on a Roland Micro Cube. They're far and away better than any garbage amp that comes in guitar starter packs.

Lots of good advice, from members above

If you can go to the guitar shops and get some hands on, and demos of the guitars and Amps, that will be a big step in finding one you are happy with.

Microcube is highly rated here and on other sites as the ultimate Bedroom practice amp with portability thrown in.

I'm currently saving for a washburn idol WI14 and a microcube or a bigger amp, maybe roland cube 30x if I can raise the money.

I hope you find your ideal beginners setup that you will be happy to learn on.

let us know how you go on with your search

Take care

Tigerkraw

There are many different types of guitars. I've had my phases with many guitars. I went from acoustic to electric. But both have been with the same brand. I don't like to switch idk why lol I don't feel comfort. The first guitar I ever purchased was from Rollin Guitars the ROL-954 acoustic. It was beautiful and sounded equally as beautiful. Now, I have the ROL-971 electric. The truth was that the purchase for the price and color, but it sounds good. Maintains pitch and fret board is very comfortable. Check it out and let me know your opinion

I personally think you should go with Rollins Guitar as your first guitar purchase.

t5iyja.jpg

Like most people here, I'm really new to this but I'm deciding on my first guitar. I'm a lefty so I have a little less to choose from (and DON"T plan to play righty), I plan on playing a lot of alternative/indie/modern rock, and have a super small budget. I'm deciding among: a $100 Legacy copy-of-a-strat (no-name but got great reviews on Amazon)

a $100 used Squier Affinity Strat from Guitar Center

a $130 Jay Turser 300 (also looks like a strat)

a $150 used Ibanez Gio HH from Guitar Center

a $150 used Squier Standard Strat 20th Ann. from Guitar Center

a $180 Squier Affinity Strat

I thought about the Squier Tele because it has a Humbucker but i'm 17 years old and care about the appearance-this one just doesn't cut it.

One thing I'm worried about with the legacy is that it will have virtually no re-sale value.

I've heard that the Squier standard has the "standard" (seems obvious) measurements, while the affinity has a thinner neck and only 21 frets (instead of 22). As a result it might be harder to find parts for it, which I'd be a little concerned about.

I'm leaning towards the used Squier standard, as iv'e heard that it's ok to buy used, but the pictures online of the used guitars aren't very insightful, and I don't want to get one in bad condition or not set up well, or will it be set up better?

Also, if I plan to play mostly alternative rock would it make more sence to buy a steel stringed acoustic? The genre kinda falls under the category of acoustic AND electric, so i'm not sure. If i do get an acoustic, there's a nice R.W. Jameson Electro-acoustic for $105, which got really good reviews on amazon, but Everyone seems to say not to buy a cheap acoustic. Still, many of the reviews came from long-time guitar players.

http://www.amazon.co...f=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Last question: if I don't plan on actually performing, can I just stick with a mini-amp? I don't need big sound, and I'm not part of a band as of now.

Any other beginner, really low budget guitars for lefties would be great, but I couldn't really find any.

Help with all of this would be greatly appreciated!

Hey slep595,

Welcome to the wonderful world of guitar!

I'll add my $0.02.

One thing I'm worried about with the legacy is that it will have virtually no re-sale value.

I wouldn't worry about that so much as none of the guitars you have listed will likely have any significant resale value. The market is flooded with guitars and demand appears to be slipping. Even really high end guitars are selling at a significant discount from their prices only two years ago.

I'm deciding among:

I would say to just pick the one that you like best, the one that will inspire you to actually pick it up and practice. The likelihood is that any one of these guitars is not likely to be significantly better than any of the others. Yes, we have all heard the tales of the magical $150 Squier that plays and sounds better than a $2500 Fender Custom Shop Strat, but I wouldn't count on any one of these being that guitar.

I've heard that the Squier standard has the "standard" (seems obvious) measurements, while the affinity has a thinner neck and only 21 frets (instead of 22). As a result it might be harder to find parts for it, which I'd be a little concerned about.

Finding parts should not be a concern--they are readily available. The neck radius could mak a difference though. If you have small hands, then the thinner neck might be more comfortable. You will only be able to tell, however, by actually holding the different guitars in your hands.

I'm leaning towards the used Squier standard, as iv'e heard that it's ok to buy used

Absolutely! Used will get you much more bang for your buck. If you have a local guitar shop, it would be worth your while to go down and ask to look at their used stock. You will then have the advantage of being able to feel the guitar in your hands and determine how comfortable it is for you. Personally, just Iike I wouldn't buy a car that I had not test driven, I would not buy a guitar that I had not played, though I understand that for some folks due to location, etc. this is not an option.

Also, if I plan to play mostly alternative rock would it make more sence to buy a steel stringed acoustic?

In general, it's more difficult to learn on an acoustic because the thicker strings and higher action that one finds on an acoustic require more force to fret properly. OTOH, guys like Keith Richards argue that one should learn on an acoustic first before going to electric.

If you are the type of person who is easily frustrated, then I would suggest you start with the electric as it will be easier to get up and running. Once you have acquired some skills, you will be better able to decide precisely which guitar is going to fit your style.

FWIW, I started on an electric, then got an acoustic, then got a couple more electrics, etc. The fact is that if you start playing and get bitten by the bug, GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) is likely to follow.

Last question: if I don't plan on actually performing, can I just stick with a mini-amp? I don't need big sound, and I'm not part of a band as of now.

Technically speaking, one can learn on an electric without an amp. It won't sound great, of course, but the actual mechanics of playing won't change. As was stated above, you could just get a cable and an adapter and plug your guitar into your computer.

Good luck!

Beg, steal or borrow enough money to get a Squier Classic Vibe - These guitars are are rated as exeptional everywhere! These will rise in price once discontinued and have lefty strats and a tele in the range.

I ordered a lefty Tele for myself and was prepared to wait a month due to demand..... The only reason I didn't get one is a used MIJ lefty Fender came along that was too good to miss!