starsailor

Do you play guitar Right or Left - Handed

Do you play guitar Right or Left-handed ?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play guitar Right or Left-handed ?

• Left-handed
    • Right-handed
    • I'm having trouble with both hands
    • I play with my teeth if Hendrix can do it so can I

I play guitar right handed but I have decided to have a go at playing left handed just to see if I can do it ( I obviously have too much time on both hands) and I was curious to know how many left handed guitar players there are on this site:dunno:

I am left handed, but play right handed. But, I also write right handed and draw left handed. And that is because the nuns in French Catholic school would smack me if caught me using my left hand to do anything!

Bob

I write left-handed, but do pretty much everything else (including playing guitar) right-handed.

Same with me Stratrat, I thought writing left handed would make it easier to play the guitar left handed but this is definitely not the case:isaynothing: it's like my fretting hand isn't connected to my brain which I find frustrating but at the same time quite hilarious:smilinguitar:

I play right handed but as an off topic tangent, apparently there are many more left handed golfers in Canada than the States. The presumed reason is that many right handed people play hockey left handed (me included) and then naturally start golf the same way. 'Cause obviously, a kid in Canada starts with hockey before going to golf.

Now, back to the guitar topic....

I play right handed but as an off topic tangent, apparently there are many more left handed golfers in Canada than the States. The presumed reason is that many right handed people play hockey left handed (me included) and then naturally start golf the same way. 'Cause obviously, a kid in Canada starts with hockey before going to golf.

Now, back to the guitar topic....

same here, I was born left handed but made to be right, played hockey left, my father had left handed clubs so as a kid I used to knock around a practice ball with them, later I learned to swing right handed, I don't really play golf but if I did now I would prefer to swing right handed but could still swing left if necessary, but I can only put left probably because I used a 2-way putter and never had to change. I can bat both ways but right is the most dominant side.

This left hand right hand thing is interesting from another aspect - the left side of the brain controls the right hand and the right side of the brain controls the left hand. The right side of the brain is supposed to the artistic touchy-feely side while the left is supposed to the logical side.

I recently did a recital and attempted to play Linus and Lucy and an original. I played the original without a problem but when I started to play Linus and Lucy, I started to get really nervous and my right hand started shaking so much that I couldn't finish the song. I was told later by someone in the audience that my left hand was "cool as a cucumber" while it was only my right that was shaking. And there's lots of intricate movement of the left hand in Linus and Lucy.

So I wonder if left handed players tend to play differently than right handed just because of this left brain right brain thing.

This left hand right hand thing is interesting from another aspect - the left side of the brain controls the right hand and the right side of the brain controls the left hand. The right side of the brain is supposed to the artistic touchy-feely side while the left is supposed to the logical side.

I recently did a recital and attempted to play Linus and Lucy and an original. I played the original without a problem but when I started to play Linus and Lucy, I started to get really nervous and my right hand started shaking so much that I couldn't finish the song. I was told later by someone in the audience that my left hand was "cool as a cucumber" while it was only my right that was shaking. And there's lots of intricate movement of the left hand in Linus and Lucy.

So I wonder if left handed players tend to play differently than right handed just because of this left brain right brain thing.

The Human Brain is a fascinating subject, good story, the right side of your brain was saying, I'm completely in control here lets do this but the left side was saying I'm out on a limb here I don't think we can do this and pressed the panic button.

When I picked up the left-handed guitar the other day, the left hand got the hang of strumming but the right hand didn't have a clue what to do with the fretboard it was like being a child again.

I don't know how much research has been done on this but it would seem a good idea to teach children to use both hands when writing or playing games or an instrument, it's just a theory but this could increase the potential of the Brain, I discussed this on another thread and apparently ambidextrous people to tend to have a higher IQ than their right or left handed peers which is interesting.:smilinguitar:

It really is fascinating. I heard a piece on the radio the other day talking about the latest studies on the human brain and aging. It used to be thought that you came into this world with a fixed number of brain cells (and that you spent the rest of your life killing them off) but they've now discovered that whenever the brain is faced with learning challenges, it grows new ganglions (or whatever the little branches at the end of the nerves are called) and this new growth actually keeps the brain young. And this new growth can happen at any age - it doesn't stop when we age. Also, as we age, the left brain right brain exclusiveness tends to diminish and both sides work more in partnership.

Apparently the best thing for keeping the brain young and healthy for older people is taking art classes. And I suppose the guitar could be concidered as art as well - it certainly is a challenge.

I don't think I would have thought about any of this Doug if I hadn't decided to have a go at left handed playing, it's a good subject, from your information I would conclude that the most important years for the brain are our earlier years when it can cope with large amounts of information and the later years when it needs stimulation to run at a consistent level.

I agree with the use of art to maintain stimulation and especially guitar as it requires both mental and physical effort to learn.

In my opinion the most dangerous time for the Brain is when we retire from work as it is used to a high rate of stimulation on a daily basis, so when we retire it is in our own interest to replace the activity of paid work with something that can give a similar level of stimulation, if we fail to do this the brain will deteriorate as use declines and consequently the ageing process will speed up.

I was told later by someone in the audience that my left hand was "cool as a cucumber" while it was only my right that was shaking.

Are you sure you weren't having a stroke?

Hey, Chris, you never said you wrote left-handed!!!!! That's a bit sneaky. :yes:

I haven't done any more left-handed attempts for a couple of days because I am chasing music toys on ebay etc. I assume yours has arrived and you are already ahead of me.

For those of you who haven't been reading the other thread about this, there is a sort of 'lefty challenge' thing going on between me and Starsailor........all welcome I believe......but you won't win!

I assume the poll category 'I'm having trouble with both hands' was just for me? :blush: Thanks, I ticked the box!

These questions always confuse me, I guess it's that internal battle of the left v right brain activity. I'm naturally left-handed but now play right-handed. My first inclination was to play lefty because it just felt natural in my hands to play that way but I switched to right-handed because my left hand has more control for the chords. My right hand could barely play any chords at all. It was very weird at first playing right-handed and now it seems ok. I do still get the urge to play lefty though if I have one of those implulsive, non-thinking, reactive moments.

Seems there are a niumber of folks who perform different functions with different hands. I write lefty, throw rights, bat rigthy, bowl lefty, kick righty. etc etc. I voted for both hands give my trouble.

Playing guitar creates more brain cells? I play better after a few beers though! :yeahhh:

Hey, Chris, you never said you wrote left-handed!!!!! That's a bit sneaky. :yes:

I haven't done any more left-handed attempts for a couple of days because I am chasing music toys on ebay etc. I assume yours has arrived and you are already ahead of me.

For those of you who haven't been reading the other thread about this, there is a sort of 'lefty challenge' thing going on between me and Starsailor........all welcome I believe......but you won't win!

I assume the poll category 'I'm having trouble with both hands' was just for me? :blush: Thanks, I ticked the box!

Sorry Carol, didn't intentionally miss it out, I assure you though that I haven't gained any advantage as my fretting hand is a complete idiot, I even struggled to get an A chord, my guitar arrived and it's quite nice, it's in mint condition and I got a brand new gig bag with tags including postage it cost £32 (bit steep) but I think I got a bargain, the both hands was for me, when I've learnt left I'm going to practice playing with my teeth:yes:

Best Wishes

Chris

when I've learnt left, I'm going to practice playing with my teeth:yes:

Don't forget to put them back in the glass after practice, and of course I was joking about the sneaky moves. I even rang the store and asked what their cheapest acoustic/electric lefty was, and it was $450 (about 200pounds) and plain acoustic was $200 (about 90pounds).

If your interested in the brain here's a video of a televison show I was talking about in another thread.

Allan Gregg Video Pick

Thanks for the link 6String, that was a very enlightening video, the concept of neuroplasticity is amazing, Norman Doidge's theorys are pretty groundbreaking and appear to be giving people who have suffered strokes or other brain related injuries a quality of life that wasn't thought possible in the past so he deserves our respect and gratitude:yes:

I'm Left handed, but play guitar right handed

I play Golf and Cricket right handed

but play Tennis, Badminton, Squash left handed

and naturally write left handed.

I put it down to "if I use 2 hands I play right handed"

Don't forget to put them back in the glass after practice, and of course I was joking about the sneaky moves. I even rang the store and asked what their cheapest acoustic/electric lefty was, and it was $450 (about 200pounds) and plain acoustic was $200 (about 90pounds).

Could be a problem singing and playing at the same time Carol, might have to get a spare set. Lefty guitars seem to be a bit more expensive than rightys which is a bit hard on the left handed player but I suppose the market dictates the price:winkthumb:

An interesting thread, indeed. I'm a lefty but also play guitar with my right hand. When I was learning to play the guitar, I don't remember trying to learn with my left hand. Maybe I was young then, and that I thought that guitar was for righties only. :).

I posted over on the other thread Chris, but in case you didn't see it, I've got the ebay bug and have bid on a lefty black acoustic electric at $85 (about 36 pounds) and I'm still the only bidder (10 hours to go).

I'm declaring the fact that its black (you can always play better on a black guitar) so you can't blame me for taking unfair advantage.