Doug C

Squier II (old) neck vs. new Squier neck

Hey guys I have a question regarding the neck of the Squier Strats. I have an old and new Squier strat, the old one is a "Squier II" the newer one is one of the modern cheap strats on the market basically. Anyways the newer one has a satin finished neck that feels really small and skinny in my hand, which I don't like. The old squierII neck is glossier (which is neither here nor there IMO) but what I like about it is that it feels alot thicker, which suits me a lot better. Actually the squierII neck looks really vintage, has a yellow aged look to it which is also kind of cool. I've taken both guitars apart and the body of the old squierII is junk (particle board or something) I'm not going to use it but I was wondering if the neck is worth saving and re-using? Perhaps on DIY custom guitar build. The bottom of the neck on the squierII is too wide for the body of the more modern guitar - or I'd consider using it on that one. What do ya'll think, is it worth keeping or are they considered inferior to aftermarket necks?

Doug C

After market necks can range from cheap and serviceable to a work of art that fits your hand like a glove. Explore the possibilties before using a cheap neck on a build unless the whole build is going to be low rent.

What do ya'll think, is it worth keeping or are they considered inferior to aftermarket necks?

If you like it, it's worth keeping. Lots of guys have used Squier '51 necks for builds and been real happy with them - the '51 is (or was) a $100 guitar. With your Squier II neck it may require a little work in the neck pocket of a self-build if the butt of the neck is a non-standard size....at that point it would be up to you whether it's worth it to hog out the neck pocket a little bit to make it fit, or whether you'd rather buy an aftermarket neck.

There are some really great aftermarket necks out there, and with the variety of radii, shapes and sizes you can find one that just about anybody would love. I used a Warmoth neck on my Partscaster and am very pleased with it. I've also read a lot of good things about Allparts necks. Warmoth, USACG, Allparts and a few others also make some real nice guitar bodies for builds, if you start leaning that way.

Thanks you guys, I think I will be building my "better" guitar eventually, rather than buy an existing store model. The point about the neck pocket work is a valid issue I need to consider.

Doug C

I am looking to sell my squire. The neck is not wide enough for me. I find I am way to cramped for my hand size.

I did a little searching on the net and found out the squire affenity neck from the nut is 1.61 inches or 41mm.

A regular American Fender strat is 1.68 inches or 43mm.

It's too bad because other then the neck width I love my squire.

Yep, same with me, I hate the tiny feeling neck of the newer one I have. I would be (eventually) giving it to my son but he's still way to little to put it to use for some time, perhaps I'll save it for him or pass it on to my teenage nephew.

Doug C

Both Allparts and Warmoth make "fat" profile necks which should satisfy anybody looking for a chunky neck. They spec 1 5/8" nut widths, but I got a 1 3/4" nut on the Warmoth neck I ordered for my Partscaster (Tele). They have various other neck profiles (boatneck, "C", "V", "U", etc. configurations) also.

I have an old and new Squier strat, the old one is a "Squier II" the newer one is one of the modern cheap strats on the market basically......... What do ya'll think, is it worth keeping or are they considered inferior to aftermarket necks?

Doug C

I think some of those older squier necks are great. Mine is. The reason why your older neck won't fit on the newer body might be because the newer one is part of the Affinity range which was designed to be smaller and lighter than the Standard range. So the affinity body is thinner, as well as the neck being narrower at the nut.

So it's not that the older neck is not compatible - it's the other way around. You need to check to be sure, but you might not find an aftermarket neck that fits the smaller affinity body.

The thread is a little old but I will comment.

Hang on to that SquierII neck (literally). That period of Fender Korea is when laminate (hardwood-ply) bodies were used, presumably to keep costs down, but the necks are of the same high quality as was used on 80's Squier Japan and and Korea the main difference being a larger 12 in. radius. Real 1 piece maple neck&fretboard (not maple capped) with a 70's like high gloss finish. If you like a satin feel you can just use extra-fine steel wool to the back and/or front and give it a light buffing until it gets a satin look. This makes for fast sliding over the finish. A simple course&fine repolish will restore the gloss. This procedure is actually good for vintage poly necks because just like the body, the outer surface reacts with air-contaminents and if left alone or only fine polished the get a "sticky" feel. Don't do it to your collectors items though (although I do every few years).

Anyway as mentioned already, the old neck is also made to US specs so it should match a US/Japan Fender neckpocket and is meant for a 2 3/16 in. string spacing. I assume you have the original hardware and electronics. I would suggest a Fender body like those auctioned by the Stratosphere on ebay. You can get a nice MiJapan alder or ash body for 120-150+. That would give you a Very nice cheapo guitar with bragging rights too :) Look up Squier II at HarmonyCentral and you'll see almost everyone has something good to say about these old necks. I have one with a project body, now I just need some time...