nagukush

12 string guitar ????

Hi guys

Dont get :angry: on at me if this question sounds too basic.

What is actually a 12-string guitar ?:oops: It has 12 strings alright (as the name suggests) but how are they arranged on a fretboard , i mean the tuning of induvidual strings. Is it played the same way, as a 6 string is ? If one can play a 6-string, is it possible for him to learn a 12's easily ???

Sorry for so many questions, but we're friends rite ????;)

-kush

ive never played a 12 string kush but ive seen them played and yes i there played the same, but i would imagine alot harder lol the extra strings are small and close to the others, so instead of fretting one string per finger your fretting two

ahhhhhhhhhh but they sound nice in the right hands

:huh: 2 strings per finger...hmmmm seems difficult but does it sound like an echo or something like that, i mean the twin sounds...

CAn they be finger picked??? then the equation comes to 2 strings per finger (on both right and left hands !!!!:eek: )

Kush, 12-strings are normally played in standard tuning, with the first and second pairs of strings tuned to E and B. The four lowest pairs are tuned to G D A and E but each pair is normally an octave apart. It is possible to play fingerstyle on them but you do need to be a bit more exact and precide with the fingerings.

If you listen to CanuckTodd's Wish you were Here post in the Recording Booth- http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2074 - you'll hear it was played on a 12 string and it kind of sounds like two guitars playing together.

Kush,

I have two 12 strings, a 1976 Guild F212 Sunburst acoustic and a 2002 Rickenbacker 360/12 FireGlo electric.

On both I tune down 1/2 step from standard to alleviate stress on the neck. For the acoustic, the strings I use are light gauge to really get a nice middle to high tone out of her. I usually install Martin Marquis sets. It has never sounded tinny and has aged beautifully over the years.

The Rickenbacker 360/12, my Crown Jewel, my Holy Grail, as it were, is an absolute marvel of guitar creation. I use Pyramid Brand flat wound nickle strings. (flat wound is significant) If you have ever heard of Roger McGuinn, he is the one who made the "jangle" of the Rickenbacker the premier electric 12 that it is today.

As far as fretting/fingering the 12's, they are really no more difficult than a 6 string guitar to play. Other than perhaps you will have two string grooves on your fingers tips rather than one. And perhaps when first starting on a 12, the tenderness on your finger tips may be a bit more noticable.

What you really have to learn is how to tune a 12 string guitar. For example, on the low E string you have a heavy and a light gauge string. As you press down to make a note, more pressure is placed on the heavier gauge string than the light. This usually tends to make the heavier gauge string sound slightly sharp which in turn causes the guitar to sound out of tune. The trick is to tune the heavier gauge string ever so slightly flat in order to compensate. I always use a chromatic tuner when I'm tuning the 12's!

The strings on the 12's are installed in pairs. Each pair will be an octave apart. On the acoustic 12's, and most electric 12's, the heavier string of the pair will be to the bottom and the lighter at the top. On the Rickenbacker 12's ( all of them ) the heavier string is at the top and the lighter at the bottom. And that is part of what makes the Rickenbacker "Jangle" so beautilful to hear.

A 12 string guitar achieves a level of sustain that a 6 string guitar will never accomplish. Consider a piano versus a harpsichord. The piano being a 6 string and the harpsichord being the 12. I rest my case.

I love my 12's and I hope this helps! :)

Les

The Rickenbacker 360/12, my Crown Jewel, my Holy Grail, as it were, is an absolute marvel of guitar creation. I use Pyramid Brand flat wound nickle strings. (flat wound is significant) If you have ever heard of Roger McGuinn, he is the one who made the "jangle" of the Rickenbacker the premier electric 12 that it is today.Les/QUOTE]

I gotta get me one o' them one day! (Rickenbacker 12 string that is):thumbup1:

Neil

The Rickenbacker 360/12, my Crown Jewel, my Holy Grail, as it were, is an absolute marvel of guitar creation. I use Pyramid Brand flat wound nickle strings. (flat wound is significant) If you have ever heard of Roger McGuinn, he is the one who made the "jangle" of the Rickenbacker the premier electric 12 that it is today.Les/QUOTE]

I gotta get me one o' them one day! (Rickenbacker 12 string that is):thumbup1:

Neil

That will set you back some serious cash.

Hey Les

Thank you so much for that explanation ! I think you have cleared all my doubts and really am inclined to get a 12 string in future ! Thank you so much for caring !:)

It was really kind of you to give us so much on information !

Thanks and Best Regds

Kush;)

Excellent insights into the magic of a 12 string Lcjones,

My first (and only) guitar is a Garrison G20. I was using a rental 6 string and taking some lessons, and when I strummed a 12 string in a guitar store, I was hooked. It made me sound better than I am!

http://www.garrisonguitars.com/g2012.html

Apart from the sustain, that just keeps on ringing, this particular model was designed with a patented bracing system that Garrison says vibrates and resonates differently than "traditional guitars."

I don't know if people here are familiar with them, but here's a link to their PR materials.

http://www.garrisonguitars.com/bracing.html

The one big difference I find is that I have trouble with string bends and getting individual notes to ring clearly when I pluck them. I think this is a combination of lack of experience and skill and getting to know how to master the string plucking.

Hey buddy thats a beautiful Guitar !!!! I really fell in love with it !!! I wish i could get one like that in future ! You are really lucky !!!;) Happy for ya pal !:)

I mentioned Roger McGuinn as the Jangle man himself. I found this video of Roger McGuinn and the Byrds from 1965. It's just incredible to listen and see the man who made the "jangle" jingle.

For those who may not know of Roger, if you watch the video, he is the young man on the right of the stage and wearing Blue Shades. (you can't miss those just for historic reasons ;) )

The guitar Roger is playing, if I'm not mistaken, is a 1964 Rickenbacker 370/12 MapleGlo. He still plays his Ricky today.

http://www.youtube.com/?v=yUyjxZjsGlE

Enjoy .....

Les