starsailor

Build your own Cigar Box Guitar

starsailor    20

Wasn't too sure where to put this but it's something I thought Members might be interested in.

This is a very simple guitar made out of a Cigar box but you can use any wooden box that can be sealed, here are some plans to make a simple 3 string Cigar Box Guitar but if you are skilled you can make a a four or six string electric. I've also posted a couple of videos of guys playing these, there's a young lad who appears to have made good use of old kitchen utensils and the guy with the Harley Davidson Box is cool. They're all pretty cool and you can certainly play the blues on these.

Hope this interests some folks.

Page Title

Page Title

YouTube - Money Box Blues, Cigar Box Guitar

I'm off to buy some Cigars

Cheers

Chris

starsailor    20
There is a Yahoo Group devoted to building those if your interested.

Thanks for putting me onto that allthumbs, think I'll have a go at one just to see if I can do it, a nice little project for the Winter months:winkthumb:

My son and I made this from a wine box for a school project he did a while back can't say I plays like a dream.

G1.JPG

G2.JPG

Thanks for the pic. Mattz, good school project, all our children got to make were tables, I'm expecting another table from my youngest next year, running out of places to put them, I think these are a fun project at a pretty low cost, yours looks good, don't know how good mine will sound though.

Best Wishes

Chris

starsailor    20
WEBPAGE of DENNIS HAVLENA - W8MI Mackinac Straits, MI

check this site out, he has all kinds of instraments

Chuck

Cool site Chuck thanks for the link, Dennis appears to be able to make an instrument out of anything:winkthumb:

Thanks for the link Danny, I think unusual stringed instruments might become an additional hobby:smilinguitar:

JF-30    0

I got the latest copy of the Music Maker catalog the other day and this instrument was in it:

Bass: Musicmaker's Kits

I guy brought a homemade cigarbox guitar a few Sundays ago to our regular Sunday Jam. It was nicely done with a cowboy in the soundhole and a horseshoe for the head. It did not play well

Bob

PS Starsailor Watch out collecting unusual instruments gets very addictive! You end up with a house full of Ukelins, Tremeloas, and Marxaphones. OH the list goes on and on:claping:

tonedeaf    0

I also just read an article in the magazine called "MAKE" a home hobby builders mag where you can build your own amplifier from a Cheerios box. Total parts cost about $5 according to the article. Great for apartment dwellers.

starsailor    20
I got the latest copy of the Music Maker catalog the other day and this instrument was in it:

Bass: Musicmaker's Kits

I guy brought a homemade cigarbox guitar a few Sundays ago to our regular Sunday Jam. It was nicely done with a cowboy in the soundhole and a horseshoe for the head. It did not play well

Bob

PS Starsailor Watch out collecting unusual instruments gets very addictive! You end up with a house full of Ukelins, Tremeloas, and Marxaphones. OH the list goes on and on:claping:

Hi Bob, I've heard a few of these being played and there is a marked difference in sound quality between different Cigar box builds, some of them sound bad and some of them sound quite good so they are a bit hit and miss and I don't think they'd compete with the modern instruments, as a little bit of history they're interesting and I've learnt quite a bit about the roots of modern guitar playing during my research. I can see your point about collecting instruments, I think my Wife would have something to say, the Tremeloa does look quite tempting though.:yes:

I also just read an article in the magazine called "MAKE" a home hobby builders mag where you can build your own amplifier from a Cheerios box. Total parts cost about $5 according to the article. Great for apartment dwellers.

Aren't they the ones they put in the Guitar starter packs Tonedeaf, I'll have to check that out, It's amazing how resourceful people can be:winkthumb:

Best Wishes

Chris

We had a thread on here a few months ago about small amps, home built batery op, about 1/2 amp, i still have the links to some sites for the plans, if anyone is interested, i built several of them and also put up some pic's of one i built.

i also saw a vid of a guy playin a gas can guitar, he was older and had been playin the same for since he was young, i think it was on youtube

Chuck

starsailor    20
We had a thread on here a few months ago about small amps, home built batery op, about 1/2 amp, i still have the links to some sites for the plans, if anyone is interested, i built several of them and also put up some pic's of one i built.

i also saw a vid of a guy playin a gas can guitar, he was older and had been playin the same for since he was young, i think it was on youtube

Chuck

I'd be interested chuck, how big was the one you built I missed that thread, how does yours sound?:winkthumb:

Articles and Schematics

check this site out, just a straight amp, no effects,1/2 watt,very simple, sounded so so, its good for a little practice amp u can carry around and dont need to plug it in, there are a bunch of circuits, u can pick and choose which one u want to build, i played around with it for awhile, made some small changes. ill see if i can find the tread, it originated with allthumbs, about a small amp a friend of his was buildin and sellin

Chuck

JF-30    0
I think my Wife would have something to say, the Tremeloa does look quite tempting though.:yes:

Chris

The tremeloa is a rather unique instrument, but can easily get drowned out with other instruments. My wife hates my Ukelins, remind her of cats scratching chalkboards:isaynothing: But the truth is they are very mesmerizing when you play them.

Bob

6334.attach

6335.attach

starsailor    20
Articles and Schematics

check this site out, just a straight amp, no effects,1/2 watt,very simple, sounded so so, its good for a little practice amp u can carry around and dont need to plug it in, there are a bunch of circuits, u can pick and choose which one u want to build, i played around with it for awhile, made some small changes. ill see if i can find the tread, it originated with allthumbs, about a small amp a friend of his was buildin and sellin

Chuck

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/lets-see-your-equipment/728-cigarbox-amp/

here's the thread, check it out my pic's are on page 2

Chuck

Thanks for the link Chuck, that thread was on before I joined, it was good reading, allthumbs Cigarbox was interesting and the pictures you posted are very useful, can I get a list of parts off runoffgroove or have you got a list (I haven't read through ROG yet) Did you build your 50 watt Amp, I liked your quote in the amp theread "I'm gonna build one just because i can" that's a great philosophy.:winkthumb:

The tremeloa is a rather unique instrument, but can easily get drowned out with other instruments. My wife hates my Ukelins, remind her of cats scratching chalkboards:isaynothing: But the truth is they are very mesmerizing when you play them.

Bob

The tremeloa is a nice instrument, I understand it's similar to the Hawaian guitar, thanks for the pictures Bob, my Wife is starting to get concerned about my guitars already, I'm up to 6 although one of them is my first guitar which has seen better days but I can't let it go:winkthumb:

I did both little gem and ruby, ruby is the better one of the two, the jfet at the input gives u a better impedence match, radio shack, carries all the parts if u dont have a junk box of parts like i do

Chuck

P-90    1

The nice thing about designs like those is that if they give you the sound you want as a stompbox or practice amp, adding a higher power output stage is a snap; making a 10-40 watt version requires only a couple of heatsinks, a more powerful amp-on-a-chip, and a power supply (transformer, bridge rectifier, and 2 capacitors).

if u look around on google, u can add a 3 band eq and stuff into the circuit and make a real nice amp, i have a bunch of chips for amps all the way up to about 60 watts, and final transistors to go all the way up to a couple hundred watt, just one of my hobbies i like to fool around with when i find time

Chuck