carol m

Noise & Interference When Recording

Tekker    1
Learning Curve Update: page 18, phones monitor directly and reduce the risk of latency (= my 'translation' of what it says) so that is obviously the way to go.

I'll go track down a copy of the manual..... :)

-tkr

Tekker    1

OK, well, there seems to be several versions of it... It looks like it's broken up into several parts.

So can you post what it says?

-tkr

carol m    64

Success :yeahhh::claping: And for everything.........I had some trouble getting the settings of my computer/new toy/guitar/mic/ to show up in Audacity.......but, I had a cup of tea.....consulted with the dog (who reassured me not to worry, and that it would all be alright.....and by the way, when am I getting my dinner?) and after a bit of fiddling around.......voila! It all works (haven't tried the software bundle or keyboard) but the line in shows a very thin line on Audacity......and the mic shows.............the same!!!!! And...... I can even get reasonable volume with the vol of input on high, and the sound quality of the mic is now fantastic....... (no excuses now!). I think I need a holiday! Thanks everyone.......and I see that you are still awake Tekker - a special thanks to you! :salute: :salute: :guitarguy:

carol m    64
I love a happy ending, nice one Carol, great thread,:

Thanks Chris, it was quite a journey, but it was fun (mostly) - I had the 'learning curve wobbles' a couple of times. The thing that I find most amazing is how I started off with no idea about any of this stuff. It started a couple of months ago when I worked out that I could buy a lead and plug my acoustic/electric straight into the back of my computer and make a sound that appeared on my computer screen!

Since then I have had help from member friends/helpers on 3 continents and in the process learned heaps about computers (on a whole range of issues), heaps about Firefox, plug-ins, Audacity, soundcards, PCI Interfaces, all sorts of inputs and outputs and connectors, a whole heap about SNR's, decibels, frequency responses, USB ports and the list is endless. And also how to get what you want on ebay etc etc.

However, as always, new learning curves hover everywhere, and will be conquered in time.........if only I could play (with either hand) and/or sing better......but at least now I will be able to learn how to disguise my lack of talent with multiple tracks and special effects.

Don't wait up though, I'm currently deciding on my Learning Curve Priorities (or LCP's). At the moment, the "Left handed Standard Techniques" and the "Right handed Alternative Tunings with fiendish cut and paste editing technologies (Hi Kenny!) and/or Slide" are at the top of the list. It could take a while..............:dunno: Thanks again everyone. :winkthumb:

Quote "but at least now I will be able to learn how to disguise my lack of talent with multiple tracks and special effects."

Quote "Right handed Alternative Tunings with fiendish cut and paste editing technologies (Hi Kenny!)"

Both work for me :yes: everytime {for now} :winkthumb: Hi Carol

Congrats on getting thru the first stage with no loss of life or limbs.

carol m    64

Pin your ears back guys - here she is (the recording device)....technical info = right handed, open tuning, left ring finger only (over the top, lap steel style), no effects, first attempt at fiendish cut and past editing technology (because couldn't work out how to do a proper 'loop' yet) and couldn't get rid of the long gap at the beginning (don't know why, it just wouldn't go) so wait until sound cranks up at 18 secs........:yeahhh: While you are waiting for the sound, notice how quiet the non-sound part is!

Noodle Loops.mp3

knight46    2

Carol,

That sounded real good. Good volume, tone and very clear recording. This has been a great thread with so much information it is unreal, thanks for sharing your journey. Now for the real stuff, let'er rip...:yes:

starsailor    20

Nice clear sound Carol, nice bit of playing as well, don't know what the problem at the beginning was but the Techs should have a solution, great to hear you and delighted it's worked out so well:winkthumb:

All the Best

Chris

carol m    64

Thanks guys. I still have many knobs and software goodies to investigate to get the 'best' sound (what I like best etc) but straight out of the box its sounding good.

I had some problems setting up the recording preferences on the computer because when I chose the new device over the computer's sound-card, I lost access to some of the controls (drop down menus and the tray icon etc).....however now, and I'm not sure how I managed this, when its plugged in, the sound (and recording) go through the device, but when I unplug it......(da daa....)....the computer's icon appears again, and the sound goes back to going through to my speakers! It must be the marvels of modern science, or something. :dunno:

(No word from Tekker yet......maybe it doesn't come up to his hi-fidelity ears and expectations????? But for $150 I couldn't be more pleased, and the bidding on one that is the later model of this is currently at $399 on ebay. :weirdeyes: )

That sounds beautiful Carol..congrats once again, your perseverance has paid off very well......Looking forward to more of your "creations"

What recording/editing program are you currently using?

carol m    64

What recording/editing program are you currently using?

Thanks Kenny. Even though Tekker tried to persuade me into Reaper, I already had Audacity downloaded, and I sort of 'drifted' into using that. Also, several members said they used it OK, and I figured that if Les could do recordings like he does, the limitations were more likely to be mine than the software!

And if it proves to be difficult, what's one more learning curve anyway? (Being able to convincingly justify your actions is another learning curve that I constantly work on. :winkthumb: )

(Being able to convincingly justify your actions is another learning curve that I constantly work on. :winkthumb: )

I'm with you there..lol

The reason I asked was pertaining to your problem removing the silence at the beginning. I showed{albeit quickly} in my video helper about removing the blank space, just wondered if you seen it and if so what was the program doing or not doing for you to complete the action?

carol m    64

I usually can remove silence by selecting and cutting/deleting but this time it wouldn't. In fact the more I selected and deleted, the longer the silence became! I think it was probably because I was trying to copy/paste to make loops (its never been asked to do this before) and did lots of fiendish moves which put it off its game (or me). I started to get the right/left 'mover' at the bottom of the screen blinking at me for unknown reasons, and other 'odd' behaviour :eek: so I just let it have its tantrum and uploaded what I had. In situations like these you have to let it know that you will not buckle.

I expect it will have mended its ways when I next visit it (we both have a lot to learn). Thankyou for your concern. :winkthumb:

I'll check out your video helper, thanks.

Good for you, never let technology get the better of you...let us know if you have problems the next time, I'm sure it was a one time "who's the boss" kinda deal anyway, and you showed em!

Tekker    1
(No word from Tekker yet......)

Sorry, sorry..... I'm here, I'm here. :D

It sounds like you have solved your noise problem, that was dead quiet! :winkthumb: Did you record using your mic or was that line in with the acoustic/electric?

-tkr

carol m    64

hi Tekker - no need to apologise, I was only teasing....its good isn't it! This was with line in. I tried the mic when I was setting it up and it was the same. I'm not sure how the nylon will show up (using the mic) in terms of volume before I get the XLR connectors. I just used voice and it was OK with that. I'll explore its possibilities more on the weekend. I'll hook up the Yamaha keyboard as well and see how that goes.

It's a shame I won't have time to do the family's Christmas shopping this year....oh well, we all have to learn to deal with disappointments sometimes, so I'll just have to cope, I suppose. :dunno:

I liked the sound it gave too, although there is lots to experiment with on the unit (and the guitar). Plenty to do.

I was mistaken with the price on the US122L on ebay, it was the 144 with 4in/out but its still expensive.

What have you got lined up for Christmas?? Something expensive I hope!

carol m    64
Sorry, sorry..... I'm here, I'm here. :D

It sounds like you have solved your noise problem - tkr

Oops, I forgot to respond to this - it wasn't me that solved it, it was you and other helpers. Again thanks for all your (and everyone's) help and patience. :thumbup:

Tekker    1
hi Tekker - no need to apologise, I was only teasing....

Yeah, I know. :D

I'm not sure how the nylon will show up (using the mic) in terms of volume before I get the XLR connectors.

If you got good enough volume and no noise without the vocals, then I would think the nylon should be fine also. But getting the XLR connectors will allow you to use the built in mic preamps, which I image will sound much better (more volume and hopefully even LESS noise :thumbup:) than using the line in.

Also, did you use the "guitar" setting when you plugged your acoustic/electric in?

What have you got lined up for Christmas?? Something expensive I hope!

I think my Christmas present is going to be my new computer. My sister and I are both getting one, so we've established that I'm buying hers and she's buying mine for Christmas.

I'm also going to be picking up an M-Audio 88-key MIDI keyboard hook up to my computer. So I'll be diving into the wonderful world of MIDI, this should be fun.....

And by "fun", of course I mean --> :brickwall:

Again thanks for all your (and everyone's) help and patience. :thumbup:

You're welcome. Glad it worked out for you, I gotta admit, I was a "little" skeptical about that unit, but it looks like you scored big time with it. :yeahhh:

-tkr