carol m

Noise & Interference When Recording

carol m    64

I just checked those 2 emu products. The USB (nice) costs $600 here (and none on ebay), and the soundcard version (no box) is $240 - if you can get it.

Another option that was suggested was the Lexicon Lambda (the Alpha has no Midi) for $280. It is advertised as needing XP but according to the manufacturer's agent over here, it should work on 2000, and they would exchange it for something else (plus relieve me of more cash) if it didn't work and I had to get a more expensive option........so for now I'm hoping that the ebay option works. If not I'll have to re-group and consider carefully. Thanks again Tekker for all your help :winkthumb:

PS. This is one mighty thread, even if I say so myself....but that's mainly down to your techy wisdom, friends and helpers (and my ignorance - hopefuly less than it once was)

Tekker    1
I also don't have a USB 2 'thingy' on my computer, so I would still be using USB1.1 if I have understood the technology properly.

Do you know what brand and model your motherboard is? Have you checked the specs for it to make sure that it is USB1.1?

I just checked those 2 emu products. The USB (nice) costs $600 here (and none on ebay), and the soundcard version (no box) is $240 - if you can get it.

$600??!!! :ohmy: Is that the list or the actual selling price?

Here it is $200 and most of the other devices you have been posting have been in the $150 range, so I can't imagine why it's that much more.

Another option that was suggested was the Lexicon Lambda (the Alpha has no Midi) for $280.

It also looks to be USB1.1.

I also checked on the Tascam US122L and according to the Musicians Friend, it supports operating systems from Windows 98 up to Vista (which should include Windows 2000).... And it is USB 2.0 also. :)

So if it turns out that your computer supports USB 2.0, this is the one I'd go with.

-tkr

carol m    64

Ha - Musicians Friend is wrong! And sneaky.....check their web page here

They say its OK for W2000, but that is actually the earlier model US-122 which you can confirm here from Tascom itself where it definitely says it is XP and later. This very device was my first pick but was eliminated for exactly this reason - and the guy in the store rang the local distributor who said it was definitely for XP and later only. That's why the Tascom on ebay (which is the one for W2000) is a good deal for me.

And if you download that 'Download the Manual 'link at Musicians Friend it takes you to the manual for the USB 122 (the earlier model). Misleading eh?

I checked out that great link you gave above to TweakHeadz Lab and he had a comparison chart for USB 2.0 Audio Interface units and I checked them all, and none was for W2000. Interestingly on his chart there is also an error.....He lists the TascomUS122L as having no Midi, which is incorrect. He also has a chart for PCI Interfaces and I checked them all out too. Again each one had its own disadvantages, the major one (for my particular needs) is that none of them had mic pre-amps - in my price range.

The best of the PCI Interfaces I found was the Emu 0404 (not the USB) which you recommended which has no pre-amp and no ADAT I/O (not sure how important that is)., or the Emu 1212M which does have ADAT I/O but still no pre-amp. It does include a firewire connection though. Neither one has a break out box. I tracked down one 0404 at $240 special sale price, and the 1212M is $400 real price (not list, which is much more).

The Emu 0404 USB2 would be great but its XP.

My USB connections are:

SIS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller X2 (Universal Host is better)

USB Composite Device

USB Root Hub.

I'm still highest bidder! :winkthumb: - and I seem to be talking in a foreign language!

starsailor    20

Good luck on the bidding Carol hope you win it, looks like a good deal, don't know if you use ebay much but I always raise my Maximum bid about 1 minute from the end, depends on your computer speed but it usually seals the deal, depends on how much you want to spend as well though.

carol m    64

It's my first time, but I'm keen! Thanks for the tip :winkthumb:

I notice tekker's gone to bed - about time too! I'm passing the time (between posting and researching) half watching a lot of overweight middle-aged and balding Rockers being very silly on the TV in a Countdown Spectacular (an old Rock Music TV show that ran for years here)....great:rockon: :punk:

carol m    64

I've just been outbid by the only other bidder that has bid more than once, so it may come down to a last minute shoot-out. It's at $91 now (I don't know how much his max bid), and still a bargain for me..........21 hours to go. :)

Tekker    1
This very device was my first pick but was eliminated for exactly this reason - and the guy in the store rang the local distributor who said it was definitely for XP and later only.

I'm pretty sure though that if it runs on XP that it'll also work on Windows 2000 since they are very similar in architecture.

Do you have a local store that carries it with a good return policy (in case it doesn't work)? It's always better to buy from a store when you're in question that on ebay, where you can't send it back if it doesn't work.

The best of the PCI Interfaces I found was the Emu 0404 (not the USB) which you recommended which has no pre-amp and no ADAT I/O (not sure how important that is)

ADAT's not important at all in your case. You'd need other equipment with ADAT connections to put it to use.

My USB connections are:

SIS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller X2 (Universal Host is better)

USB Composite Device

USB Root Hub.

This is on the motherboard, correct (in other words, it's not a PCI card or anything)? If so, what is the motherboard make and model?

I've just been outbid by the only other bidder that has bid more than once, so it may come down to a last minute shoot-out. It's at $91 now (I don't know how much his max bid), and still a bargain for me..........21 hours to go.

From my experience with ebay, the bidding wars don't even start until the last few minutes. Then at the 5 second mark some completely new guy will jump in and swipe it right our from under you. ;)

-tkr

carol m    64

Hehehe....:devil2:.....I was the one who jumped in and swiped!!! Yep......well, it was such a low price that if for some reason it doesn't work it won't be a big deal. Now comes the big wait.......

It's interesting that you say the US122L would probably work anyway, because the guy in the store rang the distributor for that device who said it definitely needed XP. The store guy then rang around several other distributors and found that the Lexicon Lambda was the only one that should work. He was prepared to swap it for another device if it didn't work (which would have been around $390 instead of $290) but not a straight refund option. It was also out of stock and would take a few days to get it.......probably........I guess the market for gizmo's is less over here so they can give a poor service and get away with it, or maybe its just less options and much higher prices.

The motherboard is MSI MS-6533 micro atx motherboard 1 x AGP, 3 x PCI Network Card, Audio + 2 x DDR - is that what you meant? or maybe Seagate baracuda 7200rpm 80g ata 100? I guess its academic now!

Gee I hope it works or Tekker will never let me forget it!!! Thanks for all your help everyone...:winkthumb:

Tekker    1
Hehehe....:devil2:.....I was the one who jumped in and swiped!!!

I guess ebay works differently in Australia. It's quite rare that you actually get what you're going for over here.

Congrats on your snipe,.... er, I mean, auction. :)

Yep......well, it was such a low price that if for some reason it doesn't work it won't be a big deal.

So...... What did you get it for? ;)

It's interesting that you say the US122L would probably work anyway, because the guy in the store rang the distributor for that device who said it definitely needed XP.

I think that in general hardware that works with one will work with the other. I don't know about that particular piece or if it has some specific needs that Windows 2000 doesn't have. It's hard to say without having ever used it.

The motherboard is MSI MS-6533 micro atx motherboard

That's the one.

After a quick google search, it does appear to be USB1.1 (haven't found any mention of USB2), but it looks like this will only make any difference if your device doesn't work. ;)

Gee I hope it works or Tekker will never let me forget it!!!

You know it. :devil2:

-tkr

OldG    3

Carol,I just checked the spec on your MSI MS-6533 mobo... It has USB 1.1 ports ( not good for real time large data transfer, ie audio recording)

fitting a USB 2.0 card card into a vacant PCI slot is a must imho

Tekker    1
Carol,I just checked the spec on your MSI MS-6533 mobo... It has USB 1.1 ports ( not good for real time large data transfer, ie audio recording)

fitting a USB 2.0 card card into a vacant PCI slot is a must imho

The device she just got on ebay is USB 1.1.

I think the Tascam USB 2.0 interface, XP Home, and a USB 2.0 PCI card would have a good way to go if she hadn't won the ebay bid.

Windows 2000 hasn't been supported for approx 2 years, so it just seems like there's a higher probability for problems IMO.

-tkr

carol m    64
I guess ebay works differently in Australia. It's quite rare that you actually get what you're going for over here.

Huh! (tea-pots!) Ebay works the same everywhere!!! The reason that I won was because of my ruthless killer instinct, careful planning, crafty manouvres, and swift keyboard skills (thanks Starsailor and the Typequick keyboard tutor :winkthumb:)

So...... What did you get it for? :)

I'm still deciding if I'm going to divulge trade secrets.......

You know it :devil2:

I'm very afraid :eek: But will I actually confess if it doesn't work? Hmmm....not sure!

PS, notice that I have also learned how to do multiple quotes from this thread......you're an inspiration, Tekker :winkthumb:

fly135    5

Technically speaking USB 1.0 has far more bandwidth than needed for audio transfer. IIRC it's about 11Mbits/sec vs. 1.4Mbits/sec for CD quality (half that for mono). However, when you get into overhead and other devices using the USB that could be an issue. My recommendation would be to make sure your keyboard and mouse are attached to the PS2 connectors instead of USB. With nothing else on the USB bus you will probably be fine.

You could still pick up a USB2.0 card and use it as a separate USB bus if you have other devices on USB.

Tekker    1
Technically speaking USB 1.0 has far more bandwidth than needed for audio transfer. IIRC it's about 11Mbits/sec vs. 1.4Mbits/sec for CD quality (half that for mono).

From what I read, USB 1.1 is limited to 4 audio channels total (2 going in and 2 going out). I believe that's with no other USB devices connected.

-tkr

Tekker    1
Gee I hope it works or Tekker will never let me forget it!!!

You know it. :devil2:

I'm very afraid :eek: But will I actually confess if it doesn't work? Hmmm....not sure!

What?... Why wouldn't you?......... :devil2: :devil2: :whistling

PS, notice that I have also learned how to do multiple quotes from this thread......you're an inspiration, Tekker :winkthumb:

You have learned well grasshopper. Now try for quotes within quotes. ;)

-tkr

carol m    64
The device she just got on ebay is USB 1.1.

I think the Tascam USB 2.0 interface, XP Home, and a USB 2.0 PCI card would have a good way to go if she hadn't won the ebay bid.

-tkr

Yes, if this device doesn't work well, I have two - no three, plans:

Plan A: Wait until next year when the new 'super chip' will be available, and then get a new computer with at least 1Gig of memory and a huge hard disc, with Vista, USB2 and possibly Firewire, then buy a late model USB2 interface etc. Reasons for = my computer is fine but filling up fast, XP will be unavailable next year, and will probably not be supported well, the new chip could revolutionise CPU's. And, I don't want the hassle (and expense) of transferring all my stuff from W2000 to a potentially 'old' XP and an old computer.

Plan B: Buying a new (not very expensive) Lexicon Lambda which would probably work on W2000 (but still go through a USB1.1 port) but if it didn't work, I would have to go to the much more expensive option as they wouldn't actually agree to a cash-back option. This is a possible, but unlikely, plan.

Plan C: Carry on as I do now, with what I have, and spend more time doing things I should do, and less time chatting to all you guys -(which I love to do)...... and maybe get out more!! (Note to self: this is the cheapest option.) :winkthumb:

PS. Doesn't anyone want to know about 'teapots'?

Tekker    1
XP will be unavailable next year, and will probably not be supported well

I'm holding onto XP as long as I can. I am NOT looking forward to Vista. :thumbdown

...I think I'd probably get a Mac before Vista.

the new chip could revolutionise CPU's.

Yes, but at a very high cost I'm sure.

I just ordered a technically "old" PC (AMD 5200+ Dual-Core and 2GB of RAM) for under $300. This is 4 times faster than my current PC! :) You can get some screamin' fast PC's for very little money if you wait until the technology is replaced. Yes, it's not the latest and the greatest, but this should be quite sufficient.

Plan C: Carry on as I do now, with what I have, and spend more time doing things I should do, and less time chatting to all you guys -(which I love to do)...... and maybe get out more!!

I don't like this option. ;)

-tkr

carol m    64

First question: I'm just checking out all the connectors (haven't plugged it in yet).

My microphone has a 1/4"TRS jack (same as a guitar lead), so until I can go and get an adapter to fit the 3 holed mic inputs, can I plug it into one of the Line/Guitar In ports (with 'mic/line' selected for that port, as opposed to 'guitar' in selected for that port) without damaging the mic or interface?

I will probably find the answer on Page 30 or so, but that wouldn't give Tekker (or anyone) an excuse to stay online instead of doing what they are supposed to be doing. Because the 'big question' of this whole exercise is 'will this interface improve the mic recording noise/quality?':yes:

Tekker    1
can I plug it into one of the Line/Guitar In ports (with 'mic/line' selected for that port, as opposed to 'guitar' in selected for that port) without damaging the mic or interface?

Yes. It'll probably be very quiet, but you can do that.

The only way you can damage the interface is if you plug a "powered output" (that is meant to power speakers) from an amplifier into it.

Does your acoustic have a pickup on it (is it an acoustic/electric) or do you have to mic it?

I will probably find the answer on Page 30 or so, but that wouldn't give Tekker (or anyone) an excuse to stay online instead of doing what they are supposed to be doing.

I'm out of school as of last Friday, so this IS what I'm supposed to be doing. :D

-tkr

carol m    64

He He.....lights are on.....so far, looking good........page 16...."To monitor output from your computer, connect the analogue outputs of the unit to your mixer (don't have one, yet......there's one going for $51 on ebay), amplifier (don't have one), or powered monitors - do they mean powered speakers? which I don't have, at least I don't think I have - they take their 'power' from the cd player, not a wall-wart (!)

Question: why would I want to monitor output from my computer?

Edit: I forgot, I have acoustic/electric, so I can just plug it in. The noise question is mainly about my nylon string via mic, or my mic (for 'singing') :winkthumb:

carol m    64

Learning Curve Update: page 18, phones monitor directly and reduce the risk of latency (= my 'translation' of what it says) so that is obviously the way to go.

Tekker    1
"To monitor output from your computer, connect the analogue outputs of the unit to your mixer (don't have one, yet......there's one going for $51 on ebay)

You don't need a mixer, so you don't have to worry about this.

amplifier (don't have one), or powered monitors - do they mean powered speakers?

Yes, powered monitors = powered speakers.

which I don't have, at least I don't think I have - they take their 'power' from the cd player, not a wall-wart (!)

In this case, "power" does not mean an electrical outlet plugin. It means that the speakers have build in amplifiers, so you don't need a power amp or external unit to amplify the speakers.

In other words, powered speakers have volume and other controls right onto the speaker boxes.

Question: why would I want to monitor output from my computer?

What they are talking about is connecting the speakers up to your soundcard so you can hear the music on your computer.

Edit: I forgot, I have acoustic/electric, so I can just plug it in. The noise question is mainly about my nylon string via mic, or my mic (for 'singing') :winkthumb:

Ah, ok.

When you record you acoustic/electric you'll want to plug into the line input and then push the switch to the "guitar" setting. This sets the line input to a high impedance setting for use with electric guitars. It basically acts like a DI box.

In the mean time you can use your mic by plugging into the line input. You may have to crank up the volume (which could add more noise), so you may not be able to get an accurate idea of the sound until you get the XLR adapter.

-tkr