Lcjones

Have You Found "Your" Sound?

Have you found "your" signature sound?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Have you found "your" signature sound?

• Yes. I have found my signature sound.
    • I'm getting close to my own sound.
    • I still sound like _________ . (fill in the blank)
    • No. I do not have my own sound yet.

Lcjones    8

Over the years I have floated from 60's acoustic folk music to bluegrass to jug band and old timey mountain sounds. As well, I've flipped from classic rock to pop and back to acoustic folk and back to pop/rock again. I've listened to, played, and learned many styles. Even after 30+ years of playing I have trouble defining where I am at musically. Sometimes I feel like I'm all over the board.

Recently though, I believe I have found my niche genre. Bluntly, acoustic/rock. If it needs a label. I lean toward the more easy listening type tune. I'm not overtly reflective or deep in my lyrics. But this seems to be where I always wind up. I think I am getting close to what "my" sound is.

Have you found "your" sound?

LC

coldethyl    0

I seem to switch between blues, classic rock, and country, and once in a while I might throw some heavy metal in the mix (but only occasionally)

But to answer your question Les, although sometimes I feel I'm getting closer to my own sound, I guess I'm still searching and haven't really settled on anything solid yet.

Looking, looking, looking..................

starsailor    20

Good Poll LC, I'm pretty new to the game so I would like to have a definitive sound preferably in tune but it's early days yet, I only play acoustic at the moment, but I've just got a cheap electric to mess around on and I'm kind of experimenting, although I think my voice will probably dictate where I end up, it wouldn't ever be suited to heavy metal:guitarguy:

tonedeaf    0

I am nowhere near where I want to be so I am still searching. Fingerpicking appeals to me now of all kinds but I think I would be close to 'there' when I can start composing my own tunes.

Just seems like a lifelong journey to enjoy the ride. :smilinguitar:

Stratrat    0

I voted no - nowhere near along enough to have developed a "signature sound" yet.

I would've voted "I still sound like _____", but any of the words I could've used to fill in that blank would have gotten me banned from here! :lol:

Andy S    9

Well, the stuff I play at church is a mix of sounds. Some clean tone with a touch of chorus or delay, some heavy distorted, some just a touch. Recently I've been using a Behringer V amp-2 that allows me to get an incredible amount of sounds. Lots of different amps and tones and effects from each. Works quite well.

BUT!!!!! This past summer , I heard it!!! Absolutely the most AMAZING tone I've heard. We were at B.B.Kings might club in Nashville and the B.B.King All Stars were in town (usually in Memphis)

This guy was the visiting artist (sorry, his name completely escapes me now) and he was playing a Strat through a small (ten inch , maybe twelve inch speaker) HiWatt amp with the signal first going through a Carl Martin Plexitone effect box.

Ooohh my goodness!!:drool: When he started playing his leads......:jawdrop::drool: I was tempted to sell all my stuff and get that setup....until I remembered that a lot of his sound came from......well, his playing! And I have a ways to go before I get to that point!!!

SO, for now, I tweak my V amp-2 and I get some nice tones that sound pretty good at low to medium volumes.:winkthumb:

Stratrat    0

It never ceases to amaze me how cats get amazing mondo tone out of a rig that cork-sniffers would turn up their nose at. I've really been digging on Junior Brown lately - he plays a funky guitar he calls a "guit-steel" through a simple Fender Twin Reverb - that's it, no fancy boutique amps, designer pedals or any of that stuff, and he's got tone (and chops) for miles! It ain't always about the gear.

windsong    16

I still sound like: hmmm

Maybe it's hard to answer that precisely because of change. For me finding my own sound is like writing a new song. I always find my spirit chaning directions, but there's always that "small" signature lick there that pops up. May be by playing your own musical ideas you found "your" own sound. Just maybe.

:smilinguitar:

gordon rae    0

i think that is the most daunting thing about geetar,is the direction u take the right one

am i rock am i easy listerning

is the 64.000 dollar question what i like and what i can play are miles apart at this stage

either way one thing is certain it will take a big commitment from me and hopefully some where in this journey the penny will fall to what style i really what to learn

gordo

cshude    0

On the acoustic end of things- it's getting there. Since I've never played frequently with others I developed my own style to "fill out" the songs. Mainly it's just modulating some of the chords and syncopating some rhythm in there.

On the songwriting front- I think just about anything I write has a minor 7th in it somewhere, at least once. I suppose that would be part of my "signature sound".

Aunt Doty    0

I think I have a long way to go before I can claim a signature sound.........unless you can count flat ,tinny sounding barre chords as a signature!:eek: I must admit they are beginning to sound better and are easier to finger!

98Bones    0

I've been told I have a 'sound'. I've always double tracked an arpeggio (sp?) over chords or another background in some manner. Now I use electronic background so it sounds a little 'kareoke-ish' with this pristine electronic backdrop and the same arpeggio style over it... usually hypnotic (monotonous?)... lol, I'm working on variety however. Sometimes I get an interesting soundtrack quality... sometimes not so lucky.

cush66    0

I checked yes but I think its more of a hinderance than an advantage LOL!! I tell my kids I wish I could play metal or punk. They just say Im wierd like that Cheap Trick song..."mommys alright and daddys alright, they just seem a little wierd..surrender".

Dewy    0

I still sound like Dewy .

Once it was a very primitive sound, full of noise and uncertainty... and as the years go by it has varied slightly over different equipment and string gauges... and even grown bit by bit in diversity and complexity.

But in my head I hear a "sound" for each type of music I play, and the closest any "rig" has ever come to achieving that sound is with My Berhinger V-Amp and an Lp type pick up and tail stop arrangement. Currently playing a Dean Evo, a Washburn Billy T, and soon to add a nice Parker PM-20 to the stable. All are different, slightly... and I sound slightly different, my "style" comes through clearly though.

Acoustic is just acoustic... but my "style" and "sound" change as I learn and grow.