Kirk Lorange

The other kind of improvisation

Kirk Lorange    128

Just about all the discussions on improvising refer to playing solos, to creating single note lines over chord progressions. I think that's what most players think of when they think of improvising. Probably for that reason, the topic of scales and modes always comes up because they're usually associated with single note lines. As you know (!) I prefer to use chord tones.

Below is little movie of me doing what I really enjoy doing, namely improvising a whole part ... chords, lines, harmony ... all at the same time, weaving the bits and pieces together in random ways, always looking for a new path and new possibilities. I do this all the time, today I figured I'd turn the camera on. I did this one on slide because I had my Strat and amp all set to go, but it's usually my nylon that gets the workout. I think you'll see from this that chords are the basis of it all, which is why I'm always recommending that you concentrate your study on them.

There was a bird out my window that kept catching my attention. Notice that I know the fretboard so well at this stage that I don't need to look even when playing slide!

starsailor    20

That's the way I do it as well, obviously not as good as that but I do just go looking for things and see what comes up which I always find very enjoyable, that was a cool video Kirk.

mattz196    15

Kirk if could offer one small piece of advice it would be that you need to play more relaxed ,let all that stress go ;) you look like life's as good as it gets.

Great see a virtuoso in his natural enviroment,thanks for letting us take a look and listen.

Ellenback1    0

Barefoot 'N Birdin'....great stuff Kirk! Can't wait till I can move beyond the 'think about it' to the 'do it' stage, which you have illustrated here!

What kind of bird was it, and what the heck was it doing? LOL

Elle

Aunt Doty    0

I'm in awe of your talents. You really know how to make a guitar sing!:claping: Give me another 30 years and if I'm still alive......... uh...I'll be 87.........oh well, just forget that train of thought!!!!!!:no:

hb    0

The best example of "muscle memory" I've seen yet!

I'd be doing good if I could play the guitar and chew gum at the same time!

hb

Andy S    9

Ah...a little feel of Little Feat in there. I could sit and listen to stuff like this ALL day! Now if I can just squeeze in some uninterrupted practice time to work on that type of stuff!

Thanks Kirk, simply inspiring!

:claping::smilinguitar: