nagukush

STRANGE THING !!! (About my Guitar's Relief)

nagukush    0

Hi guys,

I tried to check the relief as stated by UGB in his article. I placed the capo on the first fret and fretted the 6th string at the 15th Fret. Then i inserted 2 business cards between the string and the 7th fret. To my surprise the cards had to push up the strings a little, and tightly fit it into the gap !

Whereas i have a complaint of high action, when the capo is removed (open fashion). But as per UGB, in this case, my action should be as low to cause buzzing ! I suppose there is no probs with my Guitar's neck and may be the saddle has to be adjusted ????

Is it recommended to adjust the height of the saddle on a new guitar ? or will it spoil the set-up ? I'm asking this because, i feel and believe that the action is slightly better than yesterday (its a little lower than yesterday and feels a little easier) though its still too high, to be played comfortably.

(maybe the Guitar and the Fresh strings are settling down)

Hey UGB, are you seeing this ? Please help me out:helpsmili

Please help guys, what do i do ?

Regds;)

Kush

aarona36    0

Sounds like your neck is straight which is a good thing. If the action is too high the guitar isn't set up correctlly so i dont think you could spoil it unless you go too far, but if you take your time and pay attention i really dont think its going to be a problem. I've sanded the saddles on all the guitars ive had and find it makes a huge difference. If you feel like it is better than yesterday you may want to wait a few days for things to stabilize though.

While sanding the saddle can help a lot it is only really half of the equation. The slots in the nut, if to high, can also make things difficult. Is it hard to fret a barre F chord at the first fret? Look at this too: press a string down at the first fret, now notice the height of the string off the second fret. Now leave it open and notice the height of the string off the first fret, this distance will most likely be greater but it shouldn't be too much more. If it is your nut is too high.

I think that given your location the ability to give a guitar a good setup and keep it that way would be a great asset to you. I love to do everything to my guitars i find it very rewarding, makes the guitar feel like its really mine.

Correct me if im wrong but you say you have two other older guitars? Why not try to set one of them up just to get get a feel for it before you try on your new one.

nagukush    0

Thanks aarona, i think its a good idea. I can try it on the older guitars first, and it will be nice if i get a spare saddle too, as UGB says, i wont loose the initial setup atleast.

I'm just worried that, if i try something on the old guitar and if i screw up, it would leave me no choice to do a daily practice comfortably, right??? But anyways as you say, in my situation its better to learn everything myself, as i cant really go to the city everytime.

Thank you so much of caring:)

Lots of care and Regds

Kush

nagukush    0

Hey ! BTW will any acoustic guitar saddle do, or do i have to specify the model of the guitar, to get the appropriate one ??? I think i'll have to order it online only:unsure:

nagukush    0

Hey Aarona

I tried what u'd suggested and i find that its fairly easy to play the barre- F chord at the first fret, and barre chords seem to be quite ok till the 5,6 frets , but after the 7th fret they feel uncomfortable. Is it the saddle only???

And i'm asking just for knowledge sake, can you please tell me what procedure is to be done for adjusting the height of the nut ???? (Just in-case)

if you're ok w/a barre chord at the 1st fret, don't mess with the nut. The barre chord at the 7th could be tougher because the strings are higher off the frets or because your fingers are getting much closer to each other.

You can order a replacement saddle, and any part you'd ever need for just about any guitar, from www.stewmac.com