Clancy

Extra RAM added to server

We added more RAM to our server today (around 2pm PST) - that's why the forum was down temporarily... All went well and we were only off for about 20 minutes. Whoo hoo!

Hopefully we won't have so many problems with the database crashing. It's been a real pain the last month or so.

Cheers

Clancy

Please excuse my ignorance on all this RAM thingy a ma giggy

So does more RAM mean better band width ?

This is like me talking sense to my 15 year old ,

Listening but not understanding .....

I am guessing by the Whoo Hoo its a good thing :)

So if its good congrats on getting your ( bigger / more ) Ram ...

It should mean we can handle more connections... more members connecting at the same time. That's what I'm hoping anyway. It should also allow us to send out our Newsletter without bringing the whole forum to a grinding halt. Time will tell.

The whoo hoo was for the installing of the RAM and the rebooting of the server and the getting the forum up and running again all happening without a hitch and with minimal downtime.

Cheers

Clancy

Think of ram like a person's short term memory. The better your short term memory (the more ram you have), the more pieces of information you can hold in your head before you have to start writing stuff down. (using the system paging file extensively and slowing everything).

Where can i get more RAM for me? My database is always crashing at the moment, my god I cannot even remember the chord progression of knocking on heavens door!

The whoo hoo was for the installing of the RAM and the rebooting of the server and the getting the forum up and running again all happening without a hitch and with minimal downtime.

Cheers

Clancy

Spelling mistakes from you Clancy, tut tut...... "hilch" doesn't have a t.:yes: :yes:

Well done on the RAM upgrade.:claping:

You lost me Skinny ...

Clancy was talking about ( a hitch aka no problems )

Not A " HILCH " Big Problem

:):)

Hitch is the opposite of Hilch

:)

At this time of night here the site normally slows down considerably but right now it seems to be whipping along ..Well done Clancy :)

P.s

You must be a very handy person any chance of you dropping by to replace a couple of light bulbs for me ;)

At this time of night here the site normally slows down considerably but right now it seems to be whipping along

That's good to hear.

You must be a very handy person any chance of you dropping by to replace a couple of light bulbs for me ;)

I didn't add the RAM myself Matt. We lease a server in LA. I wish we did have our own server, but neither the power company or our ISP are reliable enough for us run a server from home... maybe someday.

Clancy

My Ram is in hibernation I think, I've been trying to get Kirk's new beginners lesson (Tiptoe through the Blues) implanted in my memory for quite awhile now and it hasn't stuck yet.

WELL DONE on your success Clancy.

Skip