murphaph

Do Yamaha make any bad guitars?

murphaph    0

From what I hear, they generally make good solid instruments. Perhaps not the most inspiring but trusty and relaible with good quality control meaning few lemons escape their factories. Would this be accurate enough?

I ask because I have been remarking to my family of late that I'd like to pick up an electric and they know my current guitar is a Yamaha acoustic. Now, the wonderful Lidl has a starter guitar package on sale and my birthday is approaching and they've remarked they might get it for me. I'm 29 so birthday presents haven't been particularly important to me for a while now but I don't want the family to be spending their mone on a guitar I will only play for a week. I think it will do what it says in the tin....be a good learner guitar.

I would like to spare their feelings at the same time and let them buy it for me. So, solid guitar or lemon?

Stratrat    0
...From what I hear, they generally make good solid instruments. Perhaps not the most inspiring but trusty and relaible with good quality control meaning few lemons escape their factories. Would this be accurate enough?

I think that's very accurate (at least IMO) - for both their acoustics and electrics. You could definitely do worse than a Yamaha.

allthumbs    8

Starter packs are known for their poor quality. I would pass.

You would be better off getting one of the semi hollow bodies you can find here.Xaviere Guitars

It will blow away anything you can find in a starter pack. They start around 128 bucks. For 125 you can get a micro cube which is a terrific practice amp for the money. It is better to get a somewhat decent guitar that will be a keeper than get a really low end you can't wait to get rid of.

You can probably find a micro cube on ebay for less.

Stratrat    0

I don't know anything about the "Eterna" models. I know the "Pacifica" is considered to be a decent guitar, but the Eterna looks more like a bargain basement model.....can't vouch for it one way or the other. The specs look like a pretty typical "starter" guitar, but since I've never seen an Eterna or heard anything about them, I don't want to go out on a limb and offer you advice that could be wrong.

I do agree with AT that the amps in starter kits are generally of very poor quality (and tone!). I also second his advice regarding the Roland Micro Cube....they are definitely a great practice amp at a very good price. Lots of neat features, very fun and useful even after you've "graduated" to bigger/better amps.

oki270    0

As I've said on another thread - tried Pacifica 112 (J i think) and was really impressed versus Squire strat or cheap Ibanez. I'll buy Yamaha next week. I also have a Micro Cube and it rocks :-).

murphaph    0

Thanks for the thoughts and replies so far folks. I've read dozens of reviews of the 112 Pacifica and they are 90%+ positive with quite a few similar comments about them kicking the a$$ off Squier strats. I've also read (may not be true) that this Eterna 112 is a slightly detuned Pacifica.

Many people seem to have bought them as learner guitars and kept and upgraded them over time.

I can't seem to find those xaviere guitars available in Europe (If I bought from guitarfetish I'd risk being charged a nice bit extra by the customs). I tried thomann but no sign. Are they exclusive to guitarfetish? They look nice.

RockingDad    0

Do you know what model is in the pack? My first guitar was the yamaha ERG121 (black with two humbuckers and a single coil and I have to say its great. It was an easy instrument to learn with and as my ability grew the guitar didn't disappoint. My wife bought it for me so I know what you mean about not about the family thing but she did her homework unbeknown to me. My first fumblings with it were pleasing but I didn't know what the guitar could really sound like (if you know what I mean). The first week I took it round to my guitar tutor he made the thing ROCK like Slash....Excellent!

The ERG121 came with the GA-10 amp, the amp is ok for practising and has a raw overdrive but hey it's only only watts but those 8 watts sure kick out some noise!

I also have a pacifica 112 (wood finish) which I bought from one of my sons friends for £20 and it's one of my favourites to play. Both guitars stay in tune well and give me no problems. Intonation are spot on with both.

Yamaha make good solid guitars which are renowned for their build quality, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Rockingdad

P-90    1
I tried thomann but no sign.

I don't know a thing about their Harley Benton line of budget guitars, but I did see that they have a large collection of Squiers, Epiphones, and the occasional Dean, Cort or Ibanez there. Also a number of Danelectros for just over 200 euros. So there is hope! They even offer miniscule discounts if you want to put together your own "starter pack," specifying what parts you want.

murphaph    0

Hmmm, the Lidl advertising clearly states "alder body and maple neck". Now, I can't square that with the Eterna112 at all which has a Basswood body. The lowest spec Yamaha I can find with an Alder body is the Pacifica112. I'm confuzzled. It could be a simple mistake on their advertising-Lidl not knowing much about guitars/timber. I'll have to go and look at the thing to see exactly what it is.

If it's an alder body then it really looks like a Pacifica or slightly detuned one.

murphaph    0

No I got the Lidl leaflet today and it's definitely an Alder body, maple neck-just like the Pacifica 112.

It has SSH pickups so that is a humbucker under her hand and a tremolo bar as well actually. It looks exactly like the guitar below and has the same description:

P_pac112J.jpg

The amp is also not the GA-10 but the GA-15.

I have a feeling this guitar is specially made and packaged for Lidl as I have found reviews on german websites which call it the "Lidl Eterna by Yamaha" package and it gets a "satisfactory" rating. Testbericht über Gitarren- / Bass-Sets in test (Stiftung Warentest) 12/2006

murphaph    0

Yeah I won't particularly mind having to upgrade the amp later as I'll be moving abroad and will want 2 amps anyways, one for here one for Berlin.

I've found very few voices which are critical of the Pacifica.

rwjones3    0

I would NOT recommend the GA10 amp listed in the kit. I bought one recently on a whim for $20us new in the box. It sounded horrible to me. The 'clean' was distorted and the 'distortion' was noise.

I am general leary of the starter kits with name brands printed on them like the Fender kits or the Yamaha kits. Yamaha makes some good musical gear but they probably did not make the guitars in those boxes.

murphaph    0

well I had the thing given to me today and I'm very happy with it. The guitar feels solid and well made. No bits stand out as "cheap feeling". As I suspected, this guitar package is specially put together for Lidl and so cannot be bought in this exact format anywhere else to my knowledge. It has an alder boder and maple neck-same as Pacifica. I believe the pickups are the only real difference between this and a Pacifica 112.

Certainly upgradeable later on. The amp, well, I need fx put it that way but it sounds clean on clean to me, so maybe a Line6 Pod or something is in order!

I found it really interesting that when I started to play my songs (which up until now I have only played on acoustic) some of them suddenly made sense (like Radiohead, Creep) while others suddenly did not! It's a very different instrument to the acoustic!

taco-waco    0

Well I have never tried a Yamaha guitar, but they are not that bad, as the last model of electric guitar that one has the led, is totally cool. If I had no money for Fender, Gibson or Les Paul, I'd go to Yamaha.

starsailor    20
well I had the thing given to me today and I'm very happy with it. The guitar feels solid and well made. No bits stand out as "cheap feeling". As I suspected, this guitar package is specially put together for Lidl and so cannot be bought in this exact format anywhere else to my knowledge. It has an alder boder and maple neck-same as Pacifica. I believe the pickups are the only real difference between this and a Pacifica 112.

Certainly upgradeable later on. The amp, well, I need fx put it that way but it sounds clean on clean to me, so maybe a Line6 Pod or something is in order!

I found it really interesting that when I started to play my songs (which up until now I have only played on acoustic) some of them suddenly made sense (like Radiohead, Creep) while others suddenly did not! It's a very different instrument to the acoustic!

Belated Happy Birthday Murphaph and pleased you're happy with the guitar, good birthday present:winkthumb: