ijh

Extracting vocal track

ijh    0

Hi,

Is it possible with Audacity et al to extract the vocals from a pre recorded track.

Eg - could i just pick out the vocals from a cd so i could use them as a sort of backing track?

tia.

I.

allthumbs    8

There is nothing out there that can do that at this time to my knowledge. You could get into a world of hurt with the copyright police if it was doable. People are getting lawyered just for doing crappy covers. Using a master with the vocals ripped would send you to court for sure.

Tekker    1

Unless you have access to the original tracks and can simply mute the vocal track, there really isn't a way to remove them entirely.

Depending on how the song was mixed you may be able to pull a trick to somewhat "remove" them, but for the most part it doesn't typically work very well. The way vocal removal programs/karaoke machines work is they flip the polarity on either the right or left channel to cancel out anything panned in the middle. This includes the vocals, but it will also take out the kick and snare drum, the bass guitar, and anything else panned in the center also (which typically doesn't sound very good).

So if you have a mix where most of the instruments are panned in the middle, then there's really no way to remove just the vocals as you will remove most of the other instruments from the song along with the vocals. If you had the "ideal" mix for vocal removal, where only the vocals were panned center, then you could remove them without effecting the rest of the instruments.

Another problem, is recordings usually have some form of stereo effects (reverb/delay/etc.) on the vocals and other instruments panned center (like the snare drum), so when you remove the initial tracks panned center, you will still be able to hear the reverb from the vocal track and the other instruments. This usually gives the effect that the whole mix was "washed" in way to much reverb.

If Audacity can flip the phase on one channel, then you can give that a try and see how it works out. You have nothing to loose by trying it, but don't expect miracles. ;) If Audacity can't do this, then check out Reaper as can do it. There has a plugin built in that can invert the phase of one side (or both).

Other vocal removal programs may also use some kind of filtering or EQ in addition to flipping the phase but the phase is the most important aspect. The frequency ranges for vocals and other instruments are to wide and have to much overlap to zero in on just the vocals, so it'd be impossible to remove the vocals using EQ or filtering.

Hope that helps. :)

-tkr

Live Stone    0

Eddie I have a program called Cool Edit Pro. It removes vocals only partially. Like someone said you would probably have to have the original mix to take out the vocals completely. I am sure at some point someone will find a way to circumvent all this.

Danny

dejankuki    0

You can try with this iZotope VocalRemover - remove vocals from commercial music

or with this

YoGen Vocal Remover

But there is NO way to do such thing when project is exported as .wav in stereo or mono.

Human ear can recognize instruments computer can't, but in case when we recognize instruments also we can not completely turn off other instrument or voice. Maybe just concentrate more to that line and it seems "louder", but not that we can exctract it from coplete .wav or .mp3. Similar effects are reproduced with programs like this. Algorhytm of softwares like this only can "kill" certain frequency areas, but we know that voice is spreded accross the spectrum....

So, you can't find software that will fullfil your needs... :crying2:

Hilch    0

If you could extract all the vocals from a track , you could not post the backing track that is left on any site as that would be using original artists material but for your own enjoyment and learning that would be alright if I understand copyrights correctly and I don't think too many people fully understand that . As it was written by lawyers for lawyers to use ..

Tekker    1

I don't think that is a complete program.... iZotope sometimes leases technology for other companies to use in their own programs. It doesn't appear that iZotope has an actual program for vocal removal.

or with this

YoGen Vocal Remover

I wouldn't pay money for it without trying the demo (I think it's a demo....) first. But honestly, I don't image any of these programs work much better (if any better) than simply flipping the phase. Paying money for a vocal removal is IMO a waste of money.

The sound clips on the iZotope site gave the exact results I mentioned above.

-tkr

Tekker    1
Tekker,

How do you flip the phase in like Audacity ?

I don't know how to do it in Audacity as I haven't used it very much.

There is a plugin in Reaper called StereoPhaseInvert that will flip the phase of the right or left channels or both together. All that matters is that you flip either the right or left (either will do) but not both.

-tkr