Brucehum

Jam Sessions: when is one ready?

Yes, I must agree with this last post about enthusiasm.

I joined a rock band 4 months ago as bass player, I had been learning at home and with a teacher for 9 months. We play Deep Purple, Rainbow, Judas Priest covers (plus some other)

Great improvement since joining the band. Speed was the first to go up, as it was a must. As I needed speed, I learned to use a pick with bass (had used it with guitar). Then when I went back to guitar recently, my speed there had increased too. Of course, overall playing has increased too.

So yes, jamming and being in a band are very good ways to improve.

As a rule of thumb you can expect to be ready between the eighth and tenth pint.

For me it might be three or four but as I usually have to drive to and from gigs I never reach this point. At "rehearsal" this rule is true (but I measure it by whisky fingers).:winkthumb:

On the other hand, on my town there are two rock bands (5000 people town) that I know of. But, haven't got them to tell me yet "yes, you can come to jam with us". Here many bands just have time for once a week training, and they prefer to use it for that.

Just ask your friends, even if they are bad players, or even not able to play at all, they are able to help. This is how all the great bands start. You don't need to copy others but you need to play ( and I mean play, in the sense of children playing) with other people. The magic trick is to find, through playing with as many people as possible, the ones that you click with. This will happen sooner or later. Grab them to form your band and use (the wrong word) them to make the music you actually want to hear, and would buy if it was made by someone else. The world needs original music and it needs it now, or in a couple of months or...

there is no real time for someone to be able to jam, anytime is great even if youve just purchased a guitar, its still very good to sit down with other guitarists or even other people playing bass or drums as such so you can jam in full but i highly suggest you get your butt out there and have fun with other guitarists or even a band!

Hey all. My main issue is, where do i find people to jam with, or even where to start. Only person I really know who plays guitar, started same time as me about a year ago. He picks it up his guitar once every other week and kinda lost interest. Any thoughts on how to find newbie jam sessions?