Doug

Chords played up the neck without barres

Monk, that's interesting about the add2 v add9 naming convention. Over here, the use of add 9 is far more common than add 2 (which, of course, doesn't make it more correct). I know the reasoning behind both conventions, although the add 9 convention, (which names the added notes according to their equivalent extended position) isn't logical, using 9 & 11 instead of 2 & 4 and including "add" to differentiate them from true 9th and 11ths, but then using 6 instead of add 13.

How about the 6 add 9 chord? Do you prefer to call it 6 add 2? Or is their some special justification for using 9 in this case?

Sorry for going off topic a bit with my last post. Here are a couple of shapes to make up for it. :)

If you move C7 (x32310) up 2 frets it becomes D9

If you move it up another 2, it becomes E7.

And B7 (X21202) if moved up 5 frets also becomes E7

Apologies if they've already been posted. I quickly scanned through all but my eyes were out of focus by the time I got to the end :D

What a great sound..

my head spinning a lot with the chord naming things, but still what a wonderful voice..

anyone can share a lot of those wonderful and unique sounded chord maybe?

i really appreciate it,, thanks

Hi,

wow a lot of this just sounds like chinese to me (been at it for under 2 months so no surprise, right?)

But you're right - they do sound GOOD - like the A although I haven't been able to slide it like you said. The E and D were nice, too - instantly more possibilities, and a chance to stretch out a bit after being stuck up the neck.

Barre chords are way beyon me for the moment (I can hold the Bm and the various E and A-shapes, but I can barely slide them up and down so too soon to get with it)

So anyway: THANKS!!!!!!!

Here's a couple I use quite often I don't know the name of the chords in this positions they are an A amd D in first posistion or if somebody has already mentioned these:

----5-----

----5-----

----5-----

----------

----------

---------- you can move this up to 7 fret for a kind of Yes sound nice strummed or picked

or

-----------

----5------

----5-----

----5-----

----------

---------- same deal move up to 7 fret or slide back to first position

they can be modified through H and P or you can always Capo for a Little Traffic's John Barleycorn sound by placing the the capo on the fith fret.

Capos can be used for Barring to make life easier

Thanks for the other chords you listed they will make a nice addition to my playing

Dwight:smilinguitar:

You can slide a C7 up the neck without barring. Hear that a lot in Hendrix, Stevie Ray type stuff.

I tried that and some of them sound a little....clangy!...Are they all legitimate chords????

thanks,

hb

I tried that and some of them sound a little....clangy!...Are they all legitimate chords????

thanks,

hb

Clangy...how? All chords are legit if the formation comprises a 1-3-5, which makes it a legal chord, a musical chord.

But some chord forms have other components of the scale, or how about just talking about power chords (usually a 1-5 or a 1-5-8). In that case, the 'chord' is a formation physically, but not necessarily musically in a legal sense!! Go figure.

I figure anything goes so long as it fits with what you want to express. The bottom line is that if the formation you are playing does not contain a 1-3-5, then the formation could be called ambiguous from the standpoint of having musical structure; the ability to hang a name on the chord is situational.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Here's some from a radiohead song (High & Dry) I learnt recently;

0-----0-----0-----0-----0

0-----0-----0-----0-----0

13---11----13-----9-----9

X-----X-----X-----X-----X

11----9----11-----7-----7

X-----X-----X-----X-----0

and

0-----0-----0

0-----0-----0

2-----6-----1

4-----7-----2

4-----7-----2

2(T)--5-----0

i.e. Just play F#m, Asus2 and E for the backing, simple but sweet.:smilinguitar: The F#m is best played using the thumb.

cheers,

pH

• Like 1

Hi there,

I just joined here yesterday so what I'm about to explain may be way too easy. I'm just trying to gauge the level, I guess there are all levels.

Anyway, one of the first songs I wrote waaaay back in the 70's was using just this one finger position moving up and down the neck.

Try starting with Emaj but up one octave on fret 13. Then move down two frets which gives you a weird form of Dmaj. (For each position it is using open top E, the open B and the open bottom E as a drone effect). Now move down to fret 8 which is a form of Bmaj, down two more frets to give you an Amaj then finally down two more to give you a Gmaj.

I've alaways liked this effect and it sounds great either strumming or picking. The whole of the verses of that song used this one trick. The chorus went to more solid chords I seem to remember.

If that was way too simple, just shout "TOOO EASY" ! then at least I'll know for next time.

Gordon.

Hi there,

I just joined here yesterday so what I'm about to explain may be way too easy. I'm just trying to gauge the level, I guess there are all levels.

Anyway, one of the first songs I wrote waaaay back in the 70's was using just this one finger position moving up and down the neck.

Try starting with Emaj but up one octave on fret 13. Then move down two frets which gives you a weird form of Dmaj. (For each position it is using open top E, the open B and the open bottom E as a drone effect). Now move down to fret 8 which is a form of Bmaj, down two more frets to give you an Amaj then finally down two more to give you a Gmaj.

I've alaways liked this effect and it sounds great either strumming or picking. The whole of the verses of that song used this one trick. The chorus went to more solid chords I seem to remember.

If that was way too simple, just shout "TOOO EASY" ! then at least I'll know for next time.

Gordon.

No worries about it being too easy. If it sounds good then it's supposed to be. I've always like that and similar moving shapes using the E or the A bass.

Hi again,

Course, the example I'm giving above is really a bar chord without the bar which gives the same drone notes for different chord sounds. It's a great effect for celtic type tunes.

This is an easy progression to play but actually can sound quite sophisticated. All it needs is some tasty lyrics and you have a song. That's what happened to me way back. One of my first songs came from that.

A good one to try for beginners I think.:) :)

Gordon.

If there's one thing i have learned from this site is that the only limit, is the limit you put on yourself. Try something different, chances are if it sounds nice to your ears, it will sound nice to others.You will know if something does not fit.

Hey Doug -

Thanks for posting those chord variations. There's something about playing notes higher up the neck while using open bass strings that brings an evocative, resonant quality to the sound that's different than playing those same notes lower on the neck - even though on music paper they're the same notes.

Discovering how triads worked as a repetition of the first three frets was a major "aha" moment for me, and I'm always eager to learn about the results of other guitarists' explorations further up the neck.

Thanks Chris. You are right about the different sounds that you can get - same notes - maybe even in the same octave, but when they are played in different places on the neck, they will have a different timbre.

Thanks Chris. You are right about the different sounds that you can get - same notes - maybe even in the same octave, but when they are played in different places on the neck, they will have a different timbre.

Exactly! Thanks, Doug.

Here is a cool video that outlines how to use the CAGED system to create riffs. It shows how to use Major 7, Minor 7, and Dominant chords all across the neck to create riffs.

Edited by ryanmasa

Thanks a million Doug! I have been playing with some very talented players and have seen them play up the neck without using barres and was wondering what they were doing so now I can have an idea , at least a place to start!

Of course you are playing inversions--I dreaded starting to learn inversions but luckily ran across About.com--beginner lessons (guitar of course) page 10 -11 or12 that has the pattern for 1st-2nd-androot inversions on all string sets!! Blew me away how easy they were!!! Learned them in a few minutes!!! can't be beat to learn inversions!!!!

I enjoyed trying these, and inadvertently came up with a variant of the cool E chord, playing X07750 by mistake. But I liked what I heard, then changed the 5 to a 6.