cj

Need some advice

cj    0

Hi all,

My Martin DXM has a bit of a hump in the top just behind the bridge. I talked with a tech at Martin who told me this was normal.

I just got it back from the local luthier who set it up and took care of some uneven frets. He says the top is distorted and the bridge is leaning forward (toward the soundhole).

I suppose the best thing to do would be to make the two hour drive to an authorized Martin repair center and see what they say about it, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen a DXM (or any flattop acoustic) do this and if it sounds normal or abnormal.

Thanks

cj

allthumbs    8

Sounds like what happens to a guitar if left unplayed for long periods of time under full string tension. The strings literally start pulling the bridge to the neck making the action higher and higher. One fix is to have the bridge shaved to lower the string hight. You might get lucky and just need to have the truss rod adjusted.

This is a common result of too much string tension, ie putting a higher guage set of strings on the guitar than suggested by the maker. If the top is bulging behind the bridge and dipping in front of the bridge, between the bridge and the sound hole, this is getting close to terminal.:huh: What guage strings do you have on it and long have you been using that guage? Another problem could be faulty bracing and that should be covered under your warranty. But, if you put heavier strings than what Martin says you can put on that guitar, they won't cover it.

allthumbs    8
This is a common result of too much string tension, ie putting a higher guage set of strings on the guitar than suggested by the maker. If the top is bulging behind the bridge and dipping in front of the bridge, between the bridge and the sound hole, this is getting close to terminal.:huh: What guage strings do you have on it and long have you been using that guage? Another problem could be faulty bracing and that should be covered under your warranty. But, if you put heavier strings than what Martin says you can put on that guitar, they won't cover it.

The bridge bending towards the neck is a guarantied guitar killer if it goes past a certain point. It is right up there with breaking or stripping your trussrod. Get it looked at soon.

cj    0

I believe it came with light or medium strings but I switched to a lighter gauge so it was easier to play.

cj    0

>Sounds like what happens to a guitar if left unplayed for long periods of time under full string tension.

That may be the problem it did sit unplayed fro several months.

The local guy didn't have any recommendations, so I guess I'll let a Martin guy look at it.

cj    0
If it is still playable all the way up the neck without the strings getting too high then your in good shape. Let us know how it goes.

No problems there - it plays fine.