krissovo

GFBB Yearly Awards????

Recently I am reading more and more praise and I am also witnessing more and valued contribution from members of this site. I am wondering if as a comunity its time we started to honor some of these members by hosting our very own awards ceremony just before Christmas?

What does everyone think? The categories could be along the lines of

Outstanding Contribution

Mod of the year

Member of the year

Best members song of year

Joker of the year

Most improved member

Most likely to get revenge on a screaming tom cat award

etc

etc

They could work by a member nominating other members and then having a private poll that the rest of us could vote on. Some of the awards could be judged by a comitie.

It could be just a notional prize or we could get members to maybe sponsor a prize. Personally I would sponsor a prize, maybe a nice bottle of bubbly or anything.

What do you think?

I think that is a great idea. It will both add fun and will also help motivate other members. Obviously, this will be a lot of task for the committee who will be setting up and deciding which criteria to use for evaluating each category.

Or so I thought... :)

I think your motivation behind the idea is good Kriss, but I too am a little skeptical about awards for the kind of things you mentioned.

For example, I think all who contribute in one way or another from the mods, right down to those who post songs regularly, and even down to the Mr or Mrs Average member who simply enjoy coming on the site and having a bit of a post every now and then are all equally valuable and important with no one member better than another.

But, elevating one above another may make those who missed out on an award to feel a bit left out in the cold (so to speak)

This is all just my opinion btw and I'm sure there may be others who think it's a fabulous idea, but I can't see it working without someone feeling a bit hard done by if they don't get picked for an award.

Sorry if I come across as a "stick in the mud" but as I said, it's just my opinion.

I personally don't like the idea. It'll just make the seperation between those in the in-crowd and those that aren't.

I'm sure this won't be the most popular opinion but I can't picture most improved member going to a person in their 20's into alternative rock. Now best member song of the year being a blues song coming from someone in their 40's is a lot easier for me to picture.

Again, not a popular opinion but that's how I see something like this boiling down to: who is popular and well liked and who isn't.

I was tempted to sit on the fence but I'm swayed toward the arguments of Peptic and Coldethyl. It's a good idea Krissovo but it could be divisive, I think competition is healthy but in this case may go against the spirit of the forum, as it is intended to be used by all sorts of guitar players at many different levels, adding a competitive edge may cause friction. It might work if the awards were broken up into categories, say an award for the best Alternative, best Blues etc. but Peptic does have a point, members will always have their favourites, it could end up like the Eurovision song Contest where Russia will always vote for Ukraine and no one ever votes for the UK because we're not joined at the hip with Europe. So it again may not be the most popular opinion but this type of thing may be too divisive and alienate certain Members albeit unintentionally.

Probably the best way to get a better and fairer idea of how members feel would be to do a poll and let the Democratic process decide, at the moment this thread is a bit one sided, I'm sure a lot of members would agree with the idea.:winkthumb:

Please remember folks a very important issue. THERE IS NO "IN CROWD". I would hope more would join in to discussions here. But it continues to be a small active group who's avatars just keep showing up. Everybody is welcome here.

I personally don't like the idea. It'll just make the seperation between those in the in-crowd and those that aren't.

I'm sure this won't be the most popular opinion but I can't picture most improved member going to a person in their 20's into alternative rock. Now best member song of the year being a blues song coming from someone in their 40's is a lot easier for me to picture.

Again, not a popular opinion but that's how I see something like this boiling down to: who is popular and well liked and who isn't.

Totally agree with you Peptic on your points BUT I can see some merit in it though ..

It might just give those who are a little unsure whether to post their music or not some nudging , I also have found in forums its' the people who take the time to listen to others music who get a bigger response to their postings .

I try to listen to everyones music , of course there is certain music styles I don't like but I always tell the person person " Its not my sort of music but I can appreciate their efforts and acknowledge their work .

Nothing worst then then spending hours upon hours of practicing and not get any feed back .

Forums work on a I'll scratch your back when you scratch back theory , those who give advise or just a comment they took time out to listen will always get more feed back to those who never listen to anyone and expect massive amounts feed back to their work .Its the nature of the beast ..

This is what will happen here I think those who make a effort to listen and give their opinion will be the more popular people , humans are like that all over the world ..

I always feel very welome here, I think Eddiez point is well made there isn't an IN CROWD but a hardcore of Members who make a real effort to put input into the forum by sharing their thoughts, ideas, music etc. and reciprocating by responding to questions if they think they can help someone in some way I think this is the icing on the cake and we are all very lucky to be part of one of the friendliest sites on the net, and Hilch is correct if Members do go to the trouble to help out they will probably get more attention than a person that doesn't that's natural.

I thought about this a bit and the idea is good it does just depend on how it is carried out, to win something say best achievement you wouldn't have to be the best guitar player or the best singer it would be based on the effort you put into doing it. Best jokers an easy one I have a shortlist already.

I think all the regular contributors wish more people would join in, I'd like to see more guys writing songs but it is entirely up to the individual and some people aren't as forthcoming as others, I personally had a real problem posting a recording because of fear of rejection but that fear was unjustified just in my head but I'm sure some Members don't step up purely through fear which is perfectly undestandable.

I think this idea could have potential but at present this thread is still a bit one sided and more people need to get involved to be able to guage the support for such a plan.

PS. I think I should get the Award for Best Dressed Sailor:)

:dunno: I'm not sure, I can see the points made by Coldethyl & Peptic. We have a great site and I'd hate to see anything cause problems. Humans are funny when you start picking favorites someone is sure to get their feelings hurt. It's the way of the world I guess! I think everyone here is a valued member. Some certainly contribute more education wise and some of us just like to visit with people with the same interest. Just my 2 cents!:dunno:

Have to agree with Peptic and Coldethyl. I have not seen many artist awards go to anyone other than the chosen in crowd regardless of talent. Those considered outside the click just sit and wonder.

There is in my opinion no objective way to pat anyone on the back with any objective standard that would not be partial as to alliances made by those that judge. Most including me are not qualified to make such judgements in the first place. It would be completely subjective.

Danny

I have been reading this with a lot of interest in my little office at work , for such a proposal then there would have to be criteria .

Such as

"Most Improved " to be elligible for that I would say some who has posted a minimum of 6 recordings that would be one every 2 months over a year period , this would give all listeners a good idea of the improvement ..

" Member Of the Year " A member who has been not only knowledgable in the field of music / guitars but will to be a active member and posting answers to newbies questions and other players questions from varying playing styles and levels .

Just some of my thoughts as I sit here and think about playing my guitar rather than be stuck in a office on a Saturday ..grr

This is what will happen here I think those who make a effort to listen and give their opinion will be the more popular people , humans are like that all over the world ..

I can see and appreciate what you're saying Trev, but it may not be in everyone's character and personality to be rated as "popular" and not everyone can think of something constructive to say in response to a post, so they may choose to say nothing at all.:)

I know I do that. Sometimes I can't think of anything more to say because another member or members have covered it well and my puting forth a comment may just cover old ground. I don't believe in posting just for the sake of posting.:)

Hmmm...I don't know 'bout this. Seems to me that "awards" could put an uncomfortable spin on some things.

Some folks have posted new stuff and asked for opinions and critiques. If someone posts a few things, then doesn't get nominated or voted for, they may feel bad.

Personally, I would be concerned about some of the folks that are still coming along and learning. They may feel like they are not good enough to post anything. Or would hesitate to post thinking others would be too critical.

I mean, c'mon!! Consider matching what's-his-name that does some really great stuff against that other guy that's posted a bunch of really cool stuff. And that latest post that other guy did, well, I didn't want to bust his bubble but, well, you know what I mean. It could get uncomfortable to some folks.

Competition may be a good thing in sports, but perhaps not in music.

Anyhow, where do we sign up to vote, not that I'd be all that interested.

(can anyone tell that I've had a bit too much caffeine?)

in the end....I'd vote no. If anyone is counting!:helpsmili

I can see and appreciate what you're saying Trev, but it may not be in everyone's character and personality to be rated as "popular" and not everyone can think of something constructive to say in response to a post, so they may choose to say nothing at all.:)

I know I do that. Sometimes I can't think of anything more to say because another member or members have covered it well and my puting forth a comment may just cover old ground. I don't believe in posting just for the sake of posting.:)

Second paragraph of your post Neil I can understand but this is where me and you differ , I will listen to someones playing and post what I heard and what I thought , I don't care if 5 other people have posted the same response or something close to it .

I believe in letting people know that I am listening OK I am no guitar myself , but I offer my suggestions / comments freely , some may say too freely LMAO ( I hope you understand my meaning )

The hard thing is offering feed back is trying to encouraging and not demeaning the poster yet not just saying "nice playing etc etc just for the sake of posting ..

I hope this explains where I am coming from , we all have our own beliefs on what "feed back " is , I like to post and I hope I don't offend , and it does not mean I think any less of members who don't post . I reply to any post I read or listen to ..

Cheers

Trev..:):)

grr still at work :(

[/b][/i]

I believe in letting people know that I am listening OK I am no guitar myself , but I offer my suggestions / comments freely , some may say too freely LMAO ( I hope you understand my meaning )

The hard thing is offering feed back is trying to encouraging and not demeaning the poster yet not just saying "nice playing etc etc just for the sake of posting ..

I hope this explains where I am coming from , we all have our own beliefs on what "feed back " is , I like to post and I hope I don't offend , and it does not mean I think any less of members who don't post . I reply to any post I read or listen to ..

You explained it well Trev and yes I do know where you're coming from.

But although it's a kind gesture to offer encouragement to another member for a contribution to the forum (whatever it may be) the more one commends another should not boost one's popularity rating, just as a member who posts more musical contributions such as songwriting, recordings, etc to the forum shouldn't be seen as "better" than someone who (for whatever reason) elects not to.

I'm pleased to see that this forum is one where someone can contribute something and receive encouragement or some kind words of praise for a post, because it sets this forum apart from others where a member may be alienated from other members because of low popularity, or simply because they just don't "fit in."

Again, I'm happy that doesn't happen here and to be honest, I hope it never does.

Btw Trev, how long before you finish work?

Finish work in 3 1/2 hours time currently 2.30pm ..

I started at 6 am finish at 6 pm ..

Gee I love Saturdays when everyone decides to have a sickie ...

Finish work in 3 1/2 hours time currently 2.30pm ..

I started at 6 am finish at 6 pm ..

Gee I love Saturdays when everyone decides to have a sickie ...

Gonna have a nice cold one or two or three or more when you get home?

I'm having one right now!

Cheers.:beer:

Maybe the awards could be just more a bit of fun than anything too serious.

Or maybe we could vote on things like... the best post of the year, the most helpful thread of the year, the silliest post of the year (we all know who would be in the running for that one)... something like that?

I think song of the year and player of the year and that kind of things might cause a bit of friction and that's the last thing we want.

Clancy

Gonna have a nice cold one or two or three or more when you get home?

I'm having one right now!

Cheers.:beer:

Thanks for that Neil :

I really needed to know that mate :(:(

Straight home via the local and grab a 30 pack ...mmmmm

Maybe the awards could be just more a bit of fun than anything too serious.

Or maybe we could vote on things like... the best post of the year, the most helpful thread of the year, the silliest post of the year (we all know who would be in the running for that one)... something like that?

I think song of the year and player of the year and that kind of things might cause a bit of friction and that's the last thing we want.

Clancy

Ummm would that be you Clancy

LMAO ..:):)

Only joking

Trev..:(