coldethyl

First Song Ever Learned

Help out an old guy with a failing memory......you said, "I think the first riff I ever learned on an electric guitar was The Beatles "I Want You". " What were the lyrics to that? I don't recall "I want you" by the Beatles. And I thought I had a pretty decent grasp of their song collection.

(now watch it be something REALLy famous & my brain is just on semi-permanent lock up!):wheelchai

Help out an old guy with a failing memory......you said, "I think the first riff I ever learned on an electric guitar was The Beatles "I Want You". " What were the lyrics to that? I don't recall "I want you" by the Beatles. And I thought I had a pretty decent grasp of their song collection.

(now watch it be something REALLy famous & my brain is just on semi-permanent lock up!):wheelchai

"I Want You (She's So Heavy)" is off The Beatles Abbey Road album!:)

Lyrics for: I Want You (She's So Heavy)

I want you

I want you so bad

I want you

I want you so bad it's driving me mad

It's driving me mad

I want you

I want you so bad, babe

I want you

It's driving me--

I want you

I want you so bad, babe

I want you

It's driving me mad

I want you

I want you so bad

I want you

It's driving me--

She's so heavy

Heavy, heavy, heavy....

She's so heavy

She's so heavy, heavy, heavy

I want you

I want you so bad

I want you

It's driving me mad

I want you

You know I want you so bad, babe

I want you

You know I want you so bad it's driving me mad

It's driving me mad

She's so--

The first song i ever learned was some part of a Dave Matthews song, or so my brothers friend told me. All i remember is that it was like, 4 notes repeating through the whole thing. Followed closely by Smoke on the Water, Iron Man (not the correct way), and Sunshine of your Love. Or at least thats how i remember it.

woe is me!!! My memory is REALLY going!.. You mentioned Abbey Road and it all came back. I didn't even have to drop down to the lyrics!!

Gotta start taking more supplements for the ol' brain!

(now if I can just remember where I put them!)

woe is me!!! My memory is REALLY going!.. You mentioned Abbey Road and it all came back. I didn't even have to drop down to the lyrics!!

Gotta start taking more supplements for the ol' brain!

(now if I can just remember where I put them!)

Don't worry Andrew! I too have a bad memory at times. Just the other day I was frantically looking for my glasses,:helpsmili and my son said to me, "Dad, go look in the mirror" and I could have kicked myself.:brickwall: There they were on my face! I'd heard of that happening to others, but never thought that would happen to me. I was wrong!:rolleyes:

the first song i learned how to play was every rose has it's thorn. at first i didntk now how to play guitar but i went to all kinds of tabs sites to teach myself to read tabs and after that i went to poison page and learned it in about 20 minuets

For me, i started learning some tabs and bits and peices, intro's to songs until it got to hard then id drop it and find something else.

Once i learnt some open chords the first real song i learnt to play completely was "fire, water, burn - bloodhound gang" (probably sounds kinda pathetic here, but it was a good starting point for me)

Regards

Matty

My "collection" thus far would be along the lines of

BHG - fire water burn, foxtrot charlie uniform kilo

greenday - time of your life, hitchin' a ride, and im working on buelevard of broken dreams

redgum - only 19 (aussie viet war song)

nickle back - photograph

pearl jam - last kiss

the offspring - spare me the details

cranberries - zombie

rammstein - ohne dich

none of them would be "perfect" by any means, and some are i guess an adaption from the original, (ie: time of your life i cant figure the pick struming thing he does so i just strum it open), but they sound good enough that sitting around at a barby with a few scotch and cokes people will recognise it and start singing...

im rambling, stop talking matthew

Regards

Matty

i think smoke on the water is the main one everybody learns.

my list consit of

poison:every rose has its thorn,life goes on,talk dirty to me,ride the wind

skid row: i remember you

eric clapton: tears in heaven,layla, adnd hey hey.

green day :time of your life,wake me up when september ends.

ozzy osbourne or black sabbath,iron man ,crazy train,and momma im comin hom.

well theres alot more if u have aim or aol u can im me at forgrantedhart89

^^^^ "Ride the Wind!" You know how to play that? Good stuff. That's one of my favorite songs and of course performed by one of my favorite bands. "Momma, I'm Comin Home." I love that song!

My fav bands are:

Motley Crue

Van Halen

Bad Company

Nazareth

Whitesnake

Poison

White Lion

Warrant

Winger

Kix

Tesla

Skid Row

Extreme

Firehouse

Nelson

Saigon Kick

Meat Loaf

Cinderella

LA Guns

Slaughter

Vixen

Heart

wow, you guys and your old skool rock. the first song i learned all the way through was "drive" by incubus, its still fun to play, cuz now that im alot better i can add random notes inbetween the chords, and change up the strum...

"Boil that Cabbage down" was my first song. Go's somthing like this:

Boil them Cabbage down boy, Bake that whole-cake round. The craziest song I ever heard Was boil them cabbage down.

Took my gal to the blacksmith shop To have her mouth made small She turned around a time or two And swallowd shop and all.

Possum in a Simmon tree Raccoon on the ground Raccoon says you son-of-a-gun Shake some Simmon's down.

Someone stole my coon dog Wish they'd bring him back He chased my big hogs through the fence And the little ones through the crack.

Met a possum in the road Blind as he could be, He jumped the fence and whipped my dog And bristled up at me.

Once I had an old gray mule and boy he sure could kick. He shoved his hind feet down his throat And kicked himself to death.

A raccoon's got a bushy tail A opposum's tail is bare Rabbit ain't got no darn tail it's just patch of hair.

Boil them Cabbage down boy, Bake that whole-cake round. The craziest song I ever heard Was boil them cabbage down. :)

first song i ever learnt was jingle bells :) but i was reading from sheet so i didnt really "learn" it

Smoke On the Water was a given but I taught myself how to pluck out "Jesus Loves Me", "TAPS" and Bob Dylan's "Blowin in the Wind" if plucking them out and playing by ear counts. Probably not because I just bought my guitar a week ago