coldethyl

First Song Ever Learned

Well, it was 1967 and I was taking beginner guitar lessons -- I'm not positive this was the first one my teacher had me learn, but it was ONE of the first :

Down in the Valley.

You know, that classic that starts out:

Down in the valley, valley so low

Hang your head over, hear the wind blow

Hear the wind blow, dear, hear the wind blow

Hang your head over, hear the wind blow

Yeah, that's a great one.... :unsure:

Jim

Are you kidding...!?! I love that melody, specially when done in harmony, it gives me chills...!!!

Nice one Jim...!!!

Cheers

Ben

Wow, this isn't nearly as long ago as for most of you I guess, but still not sure if this was actually my first. Think it was "Michel" by dutch singer Anouk. The verse consists of holding one chord shape while fingerpicking through it, but great song nonetheless! :)

First song was Night Moves, which incidentally, led me right to Southern Cross. Those are, incidentally, excellent songs to start with when trying to get barre chords down pat (at least IMO).

Are you kidding...!?! I love that melody, specially when done in harmony, it gives me chills...!!!

Ben, I think if you heard it the way I played it back then, you would have gotten more than just chills!!! :eek::helpsmili:isaynothing:

But yeah, I guess it actually does have a pretty nice melody/harmony if played well!

Jim

This is a long story so sit back kids.

I was 8 when my mom who was in the symphony in Victoria started me on the musical nightmare ride from hell. I was her third victim and 3 more would eventually follow me in this quest. She had me in school band and all kinds of private lessons playing everything from sax to uphomium,(I think that's how you spell it) anyways,

after two years and many failures she introduced me to guitar. ahh but that's not where the story ends. For that only lasted two months and after 8 lessons at the YMCA and I had no case rode my clunker of a bike (one speed -- 10th gear) and had the guitar on my back upside down secured by my so-called strap - you know that really rough yellow cord or rope you use to tie down a large tent - and I cry all the way there and all the way back , humming "you are my sunshine" although I couldn't play it..... yet.

Then she finally admitted defeat and I was FREE!!

FIVE years later my cousin came over to my place and showed me the melody notes to here comes the sun on his old beat up Sears special. It only had the E B D and A

strings on it. Then he said the most wonderful words you could say to a 15 male with raging hormones --- "If we learn this we'll get ALL the chicks!!!!"

Needless to say he found the motivation for me that my mother couldn't.:clap: :clap: Been playing virtually every day since and my first song would be Horse with no name.

First song was Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here (without solo). Good song for beginners I had a guitar instructor show me how and basic start of song you only move index finger and middle finger until you get to the chord parts. Slow song give it a try. I would like to work on solo but solos hard to me tring to tie in all in. I play this all on an acoustic sounds good on it to.

PLAY ON

Randy

First song was Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here (without solo). Good song for beginners I had a guitar instructor show me how and basic start of song you only move index finger and middle finger until you get to the chord parts. Slow song give it a try. I would like to work on solo but solos hard to me tring to tie in all in. I play this all on an acoustic sounds good on it to.

PLAY ON

Randy

Hi Randy

You'll have to upload a recording of WYWH for us to have a listen.:yes:

Hi Randy

You'll have to upload a recording of WYWH for us to have a listen.:yes:

Hi Neil

Here is the tune. Beginners don't get caught up in the solos. I'm sure some of us older folks have heard this and a lot of people will say I've heard that before. Fun tune I guess I could make up a tab for anyone interested no solos though. I can point you in the right direction if interested.

PLAY ON

Randy

Hey Randy, I think he meant post *your* rendition of WYWH! I started working on it too but haven't gotten too far. If you post yours, I record and post mine:). Don't worry I sound like crap, and it won't be the whole song because I don't know much.

BTW, my first song was House of the Rising Sun. I still practice it all the time and still get fumble fingers on it. My fingers get really tired fretting all the chord changed and keeping it clean so all the notes ring out.

Maybe we should all post a short cut of out first song.. Eh?

Hey Randy, I think he meant post *your* rendition of WYWH!

I think he did too. Randy we don't allow members to upload other artists material to this site owing to copyright reasons, therefore it has been removed from your post. The forum rules can be read here.

Feel free to post your own rendition of the song in the Recording Booth when you're comfortable with it.

Sorry Fly

I am going to post my rendition as soon as I get time I just wanted some of the younger players to get a feel for the song because its not that hard to learn. I sound like crap to not sure I want anyone to hear me anyway. Another song you might consider tring is The Eagles lyin eyes another easy song I play all the time but I like the eagles anything they do.

PLAY ON

Randy

It's not quite an uproar, Randy. You're not the first person to do it and I'm sure you won't be the last. Apologies for appearing heavy-handed but this is an issure that can have serious implications for the site so we can't really take any chances with it.

Simon

Hey Randy, I can't speak for the others here but I actually like it when people who "sound like crap" post their own songs. If only the really good musicians post then it makes me wonder if I'll ever get good enough to play something in front of others. It's kind of comforting to hear others playing at the same skill level that I'm at. Or at least somewhere thereabouts.

Sorry, I should have worded it differently. But yes, I did mean for Randy to upload his own rendition of WYWH. I apologise Randy, if you mistook what I asked for something else.