coldethyl

First Song Ever Learned

coldethyl    0

So what was the first song you ever learned to play on the guitar?

For me it was "Smoke On The Water" but it probably was for thousands of other guitarists too.:rolleyes:

Anyway, how about you?? (c'mon think, think):D

Neil

I think the first riff I ever learned on an electric guitar was The Beatles "I Want You". I remember learning it on my high school buddy's aluminum-necked Kramer. The first full-blown barre chord progression that leaps to mind is "Sunshine of Your Love", but I may have had "Smoke on the Water" figured by then. When I finally broke down and bought my own acoustic (Epiphone PR-200, c. 1984) a few years later, I snagged a Jim Croce song book with it. The first song that I can recall playin' and singin' was likely "New York's Not My Home". I think I'll give it a go right now. It's snowing like crazy here in Jersey.

Thanks for jogging that memory, Neil.

riffraff57    0

I believe the first song I tried was Louie Louie then Wendy, then progressed to Smoke on the water, Iron man, and alot of Sabbath. Guess now I showed my age...oooops. I have progressed though now I do Santana, and many others...I guess I am growing up..lmao

CanuckTodd    0

First guitar song?

Heart of Gold by Neil Young.

Simple, straight strumming, E minor to D.

Lots of subtleties to that song, but a good one to start with.

I fooled around a bit with Space Oddity, which I stumbled across by accident while playing chords.

LeeB    0

Jingle Bells years ago as well as the smoke on the water riff.. but thats all I learned...

never really played....and gave up easily

since starting for real 9 months ago, the first song I learned was chords for "Knocking on Heaven's Door" .. man it was a tough slog

Hey.. Canuck Todd

does straight strumming mean DUDUDUDU down/up for Heart of Gold?

CanuckTodd    0

Hey Lee..

My first crack at the intro part was just straight down strumming.

A nice variation for the main verses is to palm mute the first two beats out of the four on each chord. Results in the muffled sort of sound that Neil Young achieves.

But, in Canada anyway, pick up a guitar in a crowded room and strum 6 times down on the EM and then twice on the D and then back to E minor and everyone will say, "Cool, Heart of Gold, eh?"

LeeB    0
Hey Lee..

My first crack at the intro part was just straight down strumming.

A nice variation for the main verses is to palm mute the first two beats out of the four on each chord. Results in the muffled sort of sound that Neil Young achieves.

But, in Canada anyway, pick up a guitar in a crowded room and strum 6 times down on the EM and then twice on the D and then back to E minor and everyone will say, "Cool, Heart of Gold, eh?"

I am thinking muffled is kinda a precussive sound.... a little more than just muting? I imagine in Winnipeg you would sound like a real hero ...throw in a version of American woman or Taking care of business.. and you would be gawd like ;)

Jeebo    0

HEHEHE, my first song was called step it up and go.I learned to play like this. My cousins that played come to my house at Christmas,and taught me 3 chords. I would practice these till next Christmasthen learn 3 more.It took me 3 yrs to learn the 7 majs.I was getting bored so they taught me to pick out the little song.when i got good at it I thought I was a star.LOL

CanuckTodd    0

Hey Lee, Joe,

Yup, good old Neil is a hero to many Canadians and I suspect folksy gee-tar players around the globe. He has a new movie out now that showcases his work, Heart of Gold: (see review below)

http://theedge.bostonherald.com/movieNews/view.bg?articleid=126861

His latest album, Prairie Wind, is also a nice throwback to his earlier work. It's worth picking up if you enjoy Harvest, and Harvest Moon. This one is like the piece that competes the trilogy, and becomes: one album to rule them all! : )

munky    0

My first song was Enter Sandman. It's an uber-simple riff that sounds great even on the most questionable gear - as I had at the time.