New Lesson: Fingerpicking Patterns Part 1

10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   solidwalnut

Moderator | Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,098 posts
  • Joined 12-October 06

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:04 PM

I have a new lesson posted, Fingerpicking Patterns Part 1. It's designed for the beginner and intermediate. Learning these simple patterns will equip you for playing many songs. Some songs will use these exactly. Some will only use them partially, and that's the beauty. You'll know the entire works so you can easily only play a part of it if you need.

Enjoy,

Steve
Steve Cass
Solid Walnut Music/ASCAP

Becoming a great guitarist has less to do with fancy moves than it does becoming a master of the basics and learning musicianship.
It's not what you can't do. It's how you play what you already know.

View my lessons here at GfB&B

"Rhythm guitar is a trip that alot of people miss" -- Tom Petty

#2 OFFLINE   Live Stone

• Active Members
  • 200 posts
  • Joined 11-September 06

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:25 PM

Thanks Steve:

Actually I am a beginner in fingerstyle. I love it and almost always have my acoustic in my hands. When I joined this forum I really got into hearing the wonderful sounds of fingerstyle. I appreciate the time and effort you put in for our education. I will be watching more closely for your lessons. Like we always say learning is an ongoing process and there is always something to be learned from different styles of playing and teachers. Excellent lesson. I hope to be able to improve greatly by watching you and of course practice. I simply have to quit being so lazy.

Again thanks

Danny
Politicians are like baby diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason.

#3 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,251 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:54 PM

Thanks for this lesson Steve. I can't tell you how long (years) I have been trying to hear/see the different fingerstyle patterns that people use. Kirk has put up a few (and being able play them fast and accurate enough is a separate issue) but I really appreciate this insight into how its done. Thanks. :)
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#4 OFFLINE   kajwhite

• Active Members
  • 160 posts
  • Joined 14-June 07

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:16 AM

Thanks a lot Steve. I also really appreciate the time and effort you put in to helping beginners such as me. The most important thing for me is that it gives me some kind of direction which sometimes I sadly lack. I was listening to Tommy Emmanuel last night and he said that one of the most commen comments he hears from beginners is 'I keep playing the same thing over and over'. This to me is a good example of a loss of direction.

Anyways, please keep up the good work.

Have a good day.

Kevin

#5 OFFLINE   knight46

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,822 posts
  • Joined 21-February 07

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:07 AM

As always Steve a great lesson, thanks.

#6 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,009 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:27 PM

Steve,
Thank you for the nice lesson.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#7 OFFLINE   crazyseoulsister

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 49 posts
  • Joined 30-August 07

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:27 AM

Cool! I just took a sec and tried this and found that i can do do it! With practice I know I will be able to be very proficient! Thanks so much!!! I really appreciate it! :smilinguitar:

#8 OFFLINE   pattianne

• Active Members
  • 54 posts
  • Joined 01-August 06

Posted 13 October 2007 - 05:12 AM

Thanks Steve this lesson is great!!!

#9 OFFLINE   rwjones3

• Active Members
  • 123 posts
  • Joined 16-October 07

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:45 PM

I am trying to pratice this with a metronome slowed way down. Couple of questions:
1) Each pattern is shown in 2 measures but is this actually 4 measures? I looks like the "A and B together" thingee happens twice per measure in your tab.
2) Is the thumb keeping straight time on the A and D strings? eg 1n2n3n4n as indicated by your tab or 1234 if the measures are halved.

Thanks, for the lesson. Please post more. This is the type stuff I would like to be able to play.

Robert

#10 OFFLINE   solidwalnut

Moderator | Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,098 posts
  • Joined 12-October 06

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:29 PM

rwjones3 said:

I am trying to pratice this with a metronome slowed way down. Couple of questions:
1) Each pattern is shown in 2 measures but is this actually 4 measures? I looks like the "A and B together" thingee happens twice per measure in your tab.
2) Is the thumb keeping straight time on the A and D strings? eg 1n2n3n4n as indicated by your tab or 1234 if the measures are halved.

Thanks, for the lesson. Please post more. This is the type stuff I would like to be able to play.

Robert

Excellent questions, Robert!

On 1):

You bring up a great point about TAB. TAB isn't originally designed to show timing and a time signature. Yes, there are tools and software out there that WILL show both (GuitarPro, which is what Kirk uses, for one), but that's not my intent with this TAB.

To answer your question, you can play this pattern no matter if this was two or four measures. If you think of it as two measures, then this is the same time signature as The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel. If you think of it in terms of four measures, then this is the same time signature as Dust in the Wind by Kansas. If you drop the measure symbol all together, you can get a timing of '1-e-and-a-2-e-and-a-3-e-and-a-4-e-and-a' and then this C chord is played in a similar pattern as found in Dreamboat Annie by Heart.

There was no intention of indicating timing or a certain song, only the pattern of strings and fingers. Actually, you might notice that I play the pattern three times and each time I end on the downbeat of the next pattern (on the A and B strings), rather than actually finishing out the fourth pattern Yah, you did notice that correctly. The A and B pluckings happen twice per measure in this TAB. What I had in mind was as the TAB indicates, which is two measures.

On 2):

The answer is also above. If you view the timing as indicated whereby two patterns equal one measure, then the thumb is keeping 1n2n3n4n on the A and D strings. If you look at it as four measures, then the E string plucks are on the 1 and 3 and the D string plucks are on the 2 and 4.

Again, this lesson isn't about a particular song, it's about a pattern. This pattern works in both time signatures, and the actual time between the fingers remains the same.

I hope this helps. Let me know if this is still confusing. The thing about the guitar is that you can easily learn how to play thinking mechanics and basic math rather than having to play strictly to a theory formula.

I'm glad this one is helpful to you! I have two more videos coming up shortly using this same theme.

Steve
Steve Cass
Solid Walnut Music/ASCAP

Becoming a great guitarist has less to do with fancy moves than it does becoming a master of the basics and learning musicianship.
It's not what you can't do. It's how you play what you already know.

View my lessons here at GfB&B

"Rhythm guitar is a trip that alot of people miss" -- Tom Petty

#11 OFFLINE   Aunt Doty

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,577 posts
  • Joined 24-January 07

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:55 PM

Thanks for the lesson. I printed it so I can practice later!
Music is a universal language!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users