Kieren

Kieren's Guitars

This one is a bit weird but way cool! A Vox Phantom. I'm not sure of the date but I think the production run when from about 1965 to 1968. Its a perfectly acceptable strummer - just don't try to play anything fancy on it!

6064.attach

My favourite guitar - a 1967 12 string 330 Rickenbacker. I bought this through the trading post in about 1984. Its lovely - totally original (though I have replaced the saddle with 12 slots instead of the normal 6 - its much better for keeping it in tune). Just plug her in and you instantly get the jingle jangle sound of the Byrds, Beatles, REM etc. But what a bugger to re-string. The "R" plate at the end of the guitar is surely designed by a sadist! You seriously have to spend an entire afternoon re-stringing this guitar. First the octives then the thicker strings.

I also have a 6 string 370 - a 1970 something run - but its out "on loan" to my young nephew so no pictures I'm afraid.

6065.attach

Vinyl I'm afraid - though you have just given me an idea! The Vox has, unfortunately, suffered at the hands of its previous owners. The neck and headstock fittings are all original (and surprisingly pretty good) but the body has been .. erm .. modified. By the look of it, the original pick ups were taken out and replaced - and during this procedure they have taken off the pickguard. At some later stage the original pick ups were then replaced - but the pick guard has been lost forever - hence the leather looking vinyl. If I had more time this guitar would make a good "project" - i.e. stripping the paint, re-doing the wiring etc. Now if only I could find someone who wanted to do it for love and minimal money!

Thanks for the nice feedback.

coldethyl - original Vox Phantoms and Teardrops are indeed hard to come by - but there was a reissue Vox did about 5 years ago which should be reasonably easy to find - or you could get a copy (see for example http://www.phantomguitars.com/). I haven't played them but they are probably better than the originals!

JayJay - I'll put something up soon.

WitchyWoman - they are the devil's work! But don't let that put you off. Its really worth the effort. If you love that 12 string chiming then there's no substitute. If you go down this road I would also recommend that you get a "JangleBox" compressor - look it up on the internet as it has some lovely sound clips.

Here is my favorite....

ThinlineandTweedDeluxe.jpg

SlickCat, I have been looking into the semi-hollows, what do you like best about that Squier? If you got ot new, how was it out of the box?

Great looking guitar GotDeeBlues!

I saw a article in the most recent addition of Vintage Guitar Player which states that the production run for Vox guitars was much earlier than I thought - from 1962. By the looks of mine it would be an early model - hence the original Vox bridhe and trem unit rather then the bigsby. Does anybody out there have any further knowledge??

Nice pieces, Kieren. Good to meet up.

I'm all about Ric's. And I have my hawkeye's on the look out for a Vox StarStream.

I'd love to hear some Vox-ness! ... Nudge, Nudge! ;)

LC

The thing I love about the semi hollow thinline is its light,

(I used to have a Les Paul and it killed my neck ) It can get an almost acoustic quality when the volume is turned down, yet crank it up and it rocks! especially with the P-90 in the neck. (I installed that myself) This one also has a standard tele bridge pickup, so I can twang if need be. I added a 4way switch which adds the option of both pickups in series (that gives a Humbucking sound also)It just covers a huge tonal spectrum.