What's your preference Plectrum or Fingers

Do you prefer a plectrum or using fingers  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you prefer a plectrum or using fingers

• Prefer Plectrum
    • Prefer Fingers
    • Happy with either

starsailor    20

Try this again, redrider put a thread on asking if using a plectrum is preferable to using fingers or vice-versa, thought it might be worth having a poll, hope I do it right this time:yes:

blackcat    0

when i first started i would have said plectrum, without hesitation,but i've kept on using my fingers and after plugging away i am now happy with either.

only wrote this for anyone thinking they'll never be able to use their fingers and felt like giving up.

Keep at it and get the best of both worlds.

fly135    5

I voted happy with either because some songs I have to fingerpick and others I have to use a pick to sound like I'd like. I tend to use a pick most of the time. But that's because of my choice of songs to play.

starsailor    20

Thanks for your comments guys, my preference is for fingers, still have a go with the pick but definitely not good with it at the moment:winkthumb:

Cheers

Chris

D-Dawn    0

All fingers here...never could hold onto that darn pick right...but that's why I have longer nails on my right hand anyway.

Hilch    0
All fingers here...never could hold onto that darn pick right...but that's why I have longer nails on my right hand anyway.

Ditto , I am the same and yes my nails are long on my right hand as I want to become a picker , nails left hand is NIL nails on right hand come past the end of my fingers ...

Is that feminine side showing again ?

D-Dawn    0

Well at least they'll go with your hair...mine are nubs on the left as well...is my masculine side showing? No one really notices until I take off my gloves and helmet anyway :D

Live Stone    0
Is that feminine side showing again ?

I think not. It must be somthing in the Aussie water. When I spent 3 months in the Western Australian outback I noticed that I was exuding some strange behavior. Almost broke my neck when I fell off a big rock I was sitting on painting my toenails.:yeahhh::poke:

Danny

Aunt Doty    0

I'd love to say fingerpicking, but sadly I can't. My fingers have a mind of their own (and it's not musical), so it's a pick for me. I do plan to keep trying the ole fingers though!

scott58    0

I gotta have both. I just can't play the way I like otherwise. Every time I try to play without my thumb pick i don't get the strikes I need and everytime i try to play with just a pick i can't go as fast as i need to sometimes (Not to mention missing srtrings altogether). It kind of bothers me that I've limited myself sometimes, but I'm having a great time so I guess that's all that matters.

scorpius    0
I voted "happy with either", but it should actually be "happy with BOTH".....I'm really liking playing around with hybrid picking.

Same here. Lately, I have been trying to learn hybrid picking.

Hilch    0
I'd love to say fingerpicking, but sadly I can't. My fingers have a mind of their own (and it's not musical), so it's a pick for me. I do plan to keep trying the ole fingers though!

Maybe you could give the Travis Picking ago Aunt ...

Just a thought

Trev...:)

carol m    64

I voted fingers, but recently I tried to use a pick. The trouble is I keep forgetting to practice with it, so it doesn't sound too good yet.

solidwalnut    5

I went with happy with either. I use both alot and within the same song depending on what's called for. It's good to have the versatility of it, but it's not strictly necessary. Just listen to most of Kirk's stuff :-)

solidwalnut    5
personally i prefer a ripe banana to strum with...if i wanna pick i usually use a spatula....its kinda big and akward but the sound is awful...

Now THAT's what I'm talking about!:claping::yes::yeahhh:

starsailor    20
personally i prefer a ripe banana to strum with...if i wanna pick i usually use a spatula....its kinda big and akward but the sound is awful...

That's what I call versatile, I personally use tweezers as I'm a bit of a perfectionist:yes:

98Bones    0

I've tried to play equally with both but fingers seem to be taking over. 'Hybrid' style seems awkward at this point but maybe I'll start picking up on it, pardon the pun. My plectrum dexterity is a little lacking, maybe because fingers have taken the center stage... Bones

starsailor    20
I've tried to play equally with both but fingers seem to be taking over. 'Hybrid' style seems awkward at this point but maybe I'll start picking up on it, pardon the pun. My plectrum dexterity is a little lacking, maybe because fingers have taken the center stage... Bones

That's what's happened with me, I got better results just using my fingers and the plectrum got left behind but I've bought an electric guitar so I am trying to practice more with a plectrum, playing with fingers comes easier though:winkthumb: