carol m

Connecting Yamaha Keyboard to Computer

I want to connect a Yamaha keyboard PSR-225 to my computer and then to use Audacity (or Kristal etc) to 'enhance' (code for camouflage) my recordings. The Yamaha User guide has 2 diagrams.

The first diagram says use a Midi cable to connect the Midi Out on the Yamaha to the Midi Terminal on the computer (which must have sequencing software).

The diagram shows 'Yamaha out' connected directly to 'midi in' on computer (which has sequencing software) - one cable.

The second diagram says when using a Midi interface with a Macintosh connect the RS-422 terminal of the computer (modem or printer terminal) to the Midi interface which is connected to the computer.

and the diagram shows 'Yamhaha out' connected to a Midi Interface (a separate box) which is connected to a computer (with sequencing software) - two cables.

I have a PC computer (not macintosh) but when I went to the music store, the man said I had to buy a midi interface as well as midi cables even though I don't have a Mac.

My questions are

1. Do I really need a midi interface?

2. What is sequencing software? Is it Audacity or Kristal or something else?

3.Do all computers have a 'midi in'? To reach the back of mine requires an exploration license so I need to know what to look for in advance - is it any vacant 'plug' that looks like the midi plug on the Yamaha (circular with 5 holes/pins?)

If anyone can help with some info on this it would be appreciated. :)

Hi Carol

If you want to use MIDI software rather than simply recording audio, you will need a MIDI interface - they usually fit into a spare USB slot these days.

I would be surprised if there was a MIDI connection already on your PC but it wouldn`t hurt to look - it will mirror the one on your keyboard.

Sequencing software is basically for working with MIDI information - theoretically you can write a whole symphony without touching an actual musical instrument at all.

It`s probably worth doing some reading up on it before deciding if you want to use it`s capabilities.

Many audio editing suites come with MIDI sequencers (eg Reaper) - you can even do editing of imported tracks with audacity so you wont need to spla out on extra sotware just yet

If you simply want to record audio from your keyboard then you can just connect the headphone socket to the line input of you PC.

HTH

Will

Carol

I may be wrong but I'm sure MIDI doesn't work with Audacity???

Ian

I`ve just had another look and you`re right - you can import the MIDI but then there`s not much else you can do with it....

Will

Hi Carol. I bought a new Yamaha PSR295 last week, Got it at a special price as the dealer had lost the box/cdrom/instruction book and manual. I downloaded the manual from the Yamaha site. The connection to the computer, for windows 2000, is a simple USB cable, nothing else. Unfortunately I need the cd rom to complete the setup as it contains the midi driver. Hope this helps:Have a good day. Tony wheelchai

If you simply want to record audio from your keyboard then you can just connect the headphone socket to the line input of you PC.

HTH

Will

+1

Thats what I do Carol, no midi...headphones out from keys to mixer in and from there to the pc, you could bypass the mixer if need be for the time being. I haven't learned what the benefit of midi is so I can't help on that aspect.

You guys are the best! Everything I needed to know beamed in from all over the world. Thanks everyone.

Will: I didn't have a clue if I had to use 'Midi' to record or not. I didn't particularly want Midi as such, just to record those Kenny-type effects. So - earphone jack to 'line in' it is. How did you guess.....a symphony is the goal, (of course) but I'm not sure if I have enough years left to achieve that one - although a ten-piece combo in the closet (like Kenny) would be good in the 'short' term. :winkthumb:

Scotty: Thanks for the offer but it looks like I don't need Midi at all. Maybe if/when I really get stuck, but for the moment there is about 2years worth of recording 'learning curve' still to tackle before I even consider Midi. Offer appreciated, (and noted) thanks!

Tony, maybe we can give each other 'tips' as we try to figure out how they work. I found mine in a friend's attic so I don't have anything except the keyboard itself either. I don't have a power adapter either, so I'll have to rely on battery power. I too found the instructions on line. I didn't even know it came with a CD Rom, so I'm hoping it was set up properly by the owners when it was new.

Andmoreagain: thanks for that info. It seems I don't need Midi anyway, so I don't need a software program that can deal with it either. Nice to know though, thanks.

Hi Kenny: grass-hopper in-coming :laughingg:

.....wax on wax off Carol...I'll be a waiting ;)

I don't know what that means, oh wise one.....is there something (painful) you're not telling me?? :eek:

Kung Fu was one of my favs...Karate Kid was similar in that he had a teacher who was supposedly.....oh who cares....your recording now thats all that matters, you'll be a black belt in no time at all.:yes:

Hi again Carol Just to update what going on with my keyboard. I got a USB cable today and connected to the computer. The installation wizard came up with a prompt to inset the CD rom. Tried to install without it but no luck. So for my model at least the CD rom is essential. May not be on yours though. The power packs can be obtained from the dealers or a cheaper option is the local electronics shop but make sure you know the correct voltage and pin polarity. That's all for now. The next stage is to order a CD rom but that will be next week. I'll keep you informed but I have no idea what I'm going to do with it when it's all set up, emails and Microsoft word are the only computer skills I have:wheelchai .Tony

Hi Tony. I'm not sure what I'll do with mine either but it will be fun. I don't have a CD either so can't send you one. My Yamaha does play all the different 'voices' I think they call them, so maybe it was set up OK already.

My big handicap is having the time to get to grips with it. I've just learned how to connect my guitar to computer and record, and the beginnings of understanding Audacity and that's keeping me amused at the moment. Listening back to my playing really showed up how much practice I haven't been doing :eek:

Anyway, no need to rush, and its better than watching TV (or the wall). I'm sure we will be able to colab on the learning curve - looking forward to that :)

The midi is used when you want to use your keyboard as a midi controller. In that situation you are using your keyboard to send the key presses to synthesizer software on the computer. Something like this...

Buy Arturia Moog Modular V2 Software Synthesizer online at Musician's Friend

If you just want to play the keyboard and record in audacity then you need to hook up the RCA audio output jacks to the computers line in using a adapter cable.

Thanks for the info and link Fly, I've got a connecting cable for the plain Yamaha and will experiment with that before I need to try the Midi function.

I can't believe how I can 'play'/orchestrate strings and there are a heaps of functions that will keep me busy for quite a while.:yes:

Carol m,

I am gonna look at that PSR-225 and see what its config is. On my PSR I can record on board with 3.5 floppy. Then put it into Audacity.

I can't believe how I can 'play'/orchestrate strings and there are a heaps of functions that will keep me busy for quite a while.:yes:

Welcome to my world Carol...its a beautiful place:yes: :winkthumb:

although you do lose some closet space.

Eddie, thanks for checking that out. I found the User's Manual at the Yamaha site, but won't get a good chance to experiment further till the weekend probably. I still haven't got the microphone thing going properly yet, but the line-in option into Audacity is working well. I still have to learn how to do things other than straight recording on Audacity too. Plenty to do alright! Must try and fit in some guitar practice sometime...;)