carol m

Need some advice Audacity or Kristal?

carol m    64
You don't want to lose those special recording moments! ;)

LC

:laughingg: :laughingg: Nice one, Les.......all of my recording moments have been 'special' so far - each in their own, and very peculiar way.....but so far I've resisted the temptation to keep any of them.

Thanks to namigushin I selected some 'blank' audio at the start and the 'effects' came on board OK. I removed the 'noise' OK but when I played back what was left.....:eek: ... imagine a cat being scrambled with a gag in its mouth....and that wasn't even with vocals. I have serious work to do on almost everything! I'm not exactly sure what, but a fair bit of trial and error is called for.

Thanks for all the other info. As yet I am on learning curve 1/2 and you guys are approaching the summit of Everest, but it will all be useful in time.

Does anyone know how to restore the input level back to output level? I tried 'undo' until it wouldn't undo any more but that didn't do it. I closed the program and opened it again, but its stuck on 'input' since I clicked on it and changed it from 'output'. However, this is not the most urgent problem for me to solve :winkthumb:

Lcjones    8
Interesting...... Since two people are saying the same thing, maybe this is the way Audacity works? :dunno:

Does Audacity create new wave files every time you save your project with a new name?

-tkr

yes.

Hi Carol, I'm using version 1.26 so keep that in mind..it may not apply to you. Mine has two meters on the top right...output and input. output uses green as its color and input uses red and is furthest to the right. If you mean your missing them both go to edit>preferences>interface>and enable meter toolbar{tick/check the box}>click ok....that will replace the meters on your screen. Hope this is what you need.

Tekker    1
Edit: OK, I've just checked and I was wrong... :( When you save project you're not saving history... Sorry once again... I just wonder where have I seen this feature, what was the program...? Just crossed my mind, it could be it's not from audio recording/editing/mixing/... family at all... :dunno:

I dunno, off the top of my head I can't think of any program that saves the history. Usually the history is a temporary thing that only lasts while the project is open. Once it's closed the history is erased.

Interesting...... Since two people are saying the same thing, maybe this is the way Audacity works? :dunno:

Does Audacity create new wave files every time you save your project with a new name?

yes.

Ah, ok. So Audacity is completely destructive then.

This is a perfect example of having to learn the quirks in each program. :D

Also I'm curious, does Audacity create new wave files (or modify the existing wave files) when you make edits (such as delete a portion of the waveform)?

The program I started out on (Cakewalk Pro Audio 9) did that. If you split one waveform into two, it deleted the original wave file and created two new wave files for each waveform. What made things worse was all the wave files had to be stored in a certain folder in the Cakewalk installation folder. So needless to say, file management was non-existent in that program. LOL It was a nightmare!! :brickwall:

-tkr

carol m    64

Hi Kenny, I've worked it out. I always had 2 meters. I had clicked on the arrow near the mic on the red meter and then on Monitor input in the drop down, so I could get a read out of volumes before I pressed record (useful). But when I played back the recording the red meter was blank. Now I realilse it was probably always blank in 'play' mode :blush: so that's not a problem at all.

Plenty more to work on though, and playing well is not the least of them - hearing yourself recorded sure gives honest feedback and shows up your deficiencies!

carol m    64

Hi there friends and helpers. I visited my local guitar shop to get the mic stand today. They had a mic stand but nothing to connect the mic to it with :brickwall: and can't get one for a couple of days.......however, after carefully avoiding eye contact with all the temptations on display, I bought a lead for my acoustic/electric Takamine, rushed home, did a quick revision of Tekker's 'techy' lessons, plugged in my guitar, opened Audacity and......nothing.....but I didn't panic! A quick trip to the local store to buy a new battery and.....still nothing. Checked my record settings again. Hmmmm. Realised that I had no idea where my warranty was or how long it lasted for.... That was when I noticed that the volume control on the guitar was set at zero. Kazam.....:clap: ..I have sound, and almost no interference.

Don't wait up......I'll be a while, playing with my new toy :guitardude: Thanks again everyone. :winkthumb:

skinnybloke    4
That was when I noticed that the volume control on the guitar was set at zero. Kazam.....:clap: ..I have sound,
:laughingg: :laughingg: :laughingg:

Mmmm......A very steep learning curve:yes: :yes:;)

This has been a good thread Carol, your obviously enjoying yourself!:smilinguitar: :smilinguitar:

Hilch    0

Might I add my 2 cents worth in here ?

OK no objections LOL

Fist of all record for yourself , sign up for a soundclick account and up load your music { this is very easy ) I can help you there .

You don't need expensive gear to start with , just line to computor if your using a electric guitar , a mic for acustic guitar once again no need for expensive gear .

There is heaps of help around to get you started so whats stopping everyone ? No-one can force you to post your recordings but I have found posting what I have done has helped me BIG TIME , more experienced players offering suggestions , and even some adding to your recording ...

Do it for yourself

Trev..:)

carol m    64

Thanks for your ideas Hilch. Message recieved and understood. It's already a 'work in progress' - you have been warned. ;)

Plugging in my acoustic/electric direct to computer has been a breakthrough - a giant leap for......how did that go again..? :winkthumb:

Hilch    0
Thanks for your ideas Hilch. Message recieved and understood. It's already a 'work in progress' - you have been warned. ;)

Plugging in my acoustic/electric direct to computer has been a breakthrough - a giant leap for......how did that go again..? :winkthumb:

I'm confused Carol , did you do this { the bold type? } , the "How do I do this again has me baffled . Line in from guitar to computor you will need a adapter for your guitar lead into your computor

1/4 inch to 1/16 th I think it is ...

They only cost about $2 from memory ,

Happy recording

carol m    64
I'm confused Carol , did you do this { the bold type? } , the "How do I do this again has me baffled . Line in from guitar to computor you will need a adapter for your guitar lead into your computor

1/4 inch to 1/16 th I think it is ...

They only cost about $2 from memory ,

Happy recording

Sorry to confuse you Trev. I did need an adapter to join the guitar lead to the computer 'line in'. The man in the store sold me one at the same time I bought the lead. However.......I had read Tekker's techy-lessons, so I already knew that I would need one :smartass::P (sorry, couldn't resist).

Thanks for pointing it out though, from where I am on the learning curve, any idiot mistake is possible! :)

Hilch    0

from where I am on the learning curve, any idiot mistake is possible!

I feel the same way Carol , so don't feel bad when you can't get something right , but I have found if you ask the question around here no-one minds and always you get the info you need ..

Ohh if your Hilch this is of coz different only because I set myself up all the time ..Man I gotta learn to zip it at times , I'm sure Clancy would agree :):)

Trev:)

carol m    64

[quote=hilch;166330

Ohh if your Hilch this is of coz different Trev:)

I'm not sure what you mean there Hilch, but I'm sure no-one wants you to 'zip it' . And I don't feel bad when I make stupid mistakes, I can usually see the funny side, so I have fun too. :)

Hilch    0
I'm not sure what you mean there Hilch, but I'm sure no-one wants you to 'zip it' . And I don't feel bad when I make stupid mistakes, I can usually see the funny side, so I have fun too. :)

That's kool Carol ..

When it ceases to be fun , it ceases to be enjoyed

My grandfather told me that little saying when I was about 10 or so and it is very very true ..

drt_t1gg3r    0

Being an avid user of both Audacity and KAE, I prefer to KAE for mixing sounds/levels and adding any effects. It's real easy to use and if you are not the type to open and read the manual before playing with the toy then definitely KAE is the way to go. The visual display is easy to understand and the tool tip's help tremendously.

On the other hand, mixing down and filtering seems to be better with Audacity. The ability to mix down to mp3 or other than .wav files is great. Filter out noises, raising and lowering pitch, and other neat abilities that Audacity offers makes it well worth the fun and time it will take you to try and learn how to use the software properly. Definitely a "Manual will help you" type software.

So, in my opinion, between the two I use KAE for raw recording/mixing levels/effects and Audacity to clean it up/noise reduction/noise filtering/mixing down

carol m    64

In case other beginners at recording are reading this thread, I can say that if you have an acoustic/electric guitar you have a MAJOR advantage when you get to the stage of recording yourself on computer.

I tried to use a mic (because I thought that would be easier). It wasn't very expensive, but wasn't the cheapest you can get either, and had a lot of white noise and when I used 'noise removal' it caused some distortion, maybe because there was so much to remove.

But when I used a $20 cable into 'Line In' of the computer it was magic. Completely no noise. And so easy, just plug your guitar in and go. No amp, mixer, nothing.

Also, when I used an ordinary head-set mic it had much less white noise than the 'real' mic.

Also, while reading back over this thread, its interesting because I can see how (very) far I have come. From a very low start and still only at the beginning of the learning curve but I encourage people to have a go at recording. Its fun, and really gives you good feedback on your playing (and progress over time).

Also a big thankyou to all the friends and helpers who are still giving me helpful advice. Its much appreciated :grouphug: