mattz196

Naudo

I don't think there is much correlation between Tommy and this style. Tommy rarely plays in open tunings, and his percussive elements come from him playing drums on the guitar.

I would say Preston Reed, Laurence Juber, Don Ross, Eric Roche, Thomas Leeb and perhaps Phil Keaggy would be the most influential players who have brought this to the fore. Preston, Laurence and Phil are all older guys, and I heard of Preston maybe 15 years ago in Guitar Player Magazine - when Tommy was really still only an Australian entity.

Unfortunately Eric passed away at the age of 38-39 from cancer. He was a wonderful player, well worth a serach on Youtube for his work - well really any of these guys are phenomenal.

Don Ross is also amazing.

Tunings such as DADGAD, OPEN D, CGGDAD, and OPEN C are prevalent in these styles, as the player can employ open strings and obtain chords pretty easily with one finger.

I composed a piece in this style, but have never been happy with my attempts to record it. I am not sure - maybe need more compression on the guitar? Would love to explore this more - but opportunities to play this stuff are very limited. I used to play Tommy's 'Initiation' at pub gigs, and people would swear at me and tell me to &(()*()^%^ take my guitar and go home.

Oh well.

I used to play Tommy's 'Initiation' at pub gigs, and people would swear at me and tell me to &(()*()^%^ take my guitar and go home.

Oh well.

As a famous Australian once said "Why are people so unkind"

Thanks for info will do some Youtube searching on those names .:)