Berto

Worth buying a Squier?

fly135    5
Also, how do you think the tone would vary from a Mex/ American Tele? Are they basically just as good as long as you go for affinity?
The Affinity is the lowest end Tele that Fender makes. I also have a Std Tele (Mexican made), and the tone isn't all that different to me. But I probably don't have the best ear. The Affinity isn't string thru like the Std. But I recently converted my Affinity to string thru, which helps the sustain a bit.

I have so far to go with improving my playing that I hardly notice in shortcomings in my cheap guitars.. Things like the amp or type of guitar (humbuckers or single coil) affect my tone far more than whether the guitar is cheap or expensive. I do have a 1982 G&L S-500 Strat that I'm being to appreciate how great a guitar it is. But it's more the way it plays than the way it sounds.

Noodler    1

Well when I tried all 3: Squier, Mex and American. Here's what I found: The Squier sounded a bit cheap but played fine. It was very light.

The Mex sounded better but played no differently to the Squier. It was also heavier.

The American sounded better (like the Mex), but played better too.

So the American had sound and playability.

Interesting note from Fender's website: the louder an electric instruemnt is unplugged, the better it's quality. The Squier was the loudest unplugged!

Short answer, would you save up for the Mex, or just buy an affinity?

I find that more expensive instruemnts are usually more playable, and if they're more playable, it puts less stress on your technique. They are more "forgiving." Do you find the Mex makes you sound better/ easier, or is there no difference to your ear?

GotDeeBlues    3

The brand is Cort, and from looking around here it doesn't have many detractors, seems like a decent quality maker and has a few different sound "styles". This ones caught my eye: Cort X2

That Cort is probably a very nice guitar, I am only familiar with a couple of their acoustics. But you must have noticed it has humbuckers, and if you like the Strat sound, you won't get it with those pickups.

Stratrat    0
...Both are teles, so why the huge difference?

It could have to do with the amps/effects they're using. It also probably has something to do with the players themselves. The guy in the '52RI video obviously knows how to 'snap and pop' the strings to get the twang going on.

There's also a difference in pickups. The Baja has a Nocaster at the bridge and a "Twisted Tele" at the neck, which are hotter pickups than the Vintage pickups in the '52RI. Even played through the exact same amp with the exact same settings, those two guitars are going to sound different.

P-90    1
This is the kind of frustration I had the other night trying to get a good sound out of a Tele...

Both are teles, so why the huge difference?

If you were both playing with similar picks, or both with fingers, I'd have an easier time judging, but he's getting so much more edge out of that Ultem (or whatever, it sounds rigid and hard) pick that I'm not sure what all differences may lurk beyond that.

Stratrat    0

My apologies - after watching the videos again, the player in the first vid does do some plucky fingerpicking (I missed that the first time around - fast-forwarded to get past the open-chord strums and must have gone right over it!). I'll go back to my opinion about the pickups and amps/settings. The first video sounds like there's much more gain being used, whether it's through the pickups or on the amp settings. The player in the second video has much less gain going on, which allows that clean, sparkly, twangy Tele sound to shine through. The more gain you use, the less sparkle and twang you'll get (for example, compare Keith Richards or Joe Strummer to Pete Anderson or Brad Paisley! All using Teles, but entirely different sounds.)

P-90 made a good point regarding fingers vs. a pick also - the first video is entirely fingerpicked, while the second is hybrid picking.

Noodler    1

Thanks guys. So the 52 Reissue soundls like me, if I can afford it. Thanks for the tip on the gain too.

My other option (for looks) is the Nashville Deluxe. Hot!

I'll go off and see how much the 52 RI is. Here's more clip that show what I'm after:

It's not me playing, but it could be. Sounds just like my style.

And this customised baby:

WOuld be the ultimate.

I confess -- I'm addicted to the weird squier vintage modifieds. The hardware is usually garbage, but the woods and woodwork are excellent. Plan on a full mod. It's worth it. I have a vintage modified SSH: mini humbucker neck, single coil strat middle, and stack bridge. I added a bigsby, stripped off the rest of the hardware, new nut, tuners ... nice setup, removed switch and tone pot and added extra volume pot (one for each pickup). It's beautiful (bigsby replacement shots here Squier Tele SSH mod eSnips Folder. Tele Custom II with duncan p90s. That one just needed setup anjd it wails. Squier 51 with a TV jones classic, dimarzio virtual vintage neck, all new tuners, complete setup. An amazing creature now. I also own 335 and a gretsch. Love em all equally. I won't hear a bad word about the squiers. They're cheap but good. Play first. All mine are mad in Indonesia or India.

What was the bright orange? Did you respray?

Wondering, does your Gretsch have a Bigsby?

Hi Noodler. The bright orange is a whiteboard marker that we used to line up the holes in order to get the saddle in the right place. It wiped right off. Tip in case you're considering: get the F model B5 bigsby because the holes line up properly with the squiers. The straight B5 did not, hence the marker and some nervous drilling.

Yes. My Gretsch has a bigsby. It's a 5120 (electromatic korean) Gretsch and I think it is a B16 bigsby. Incidentally, I replaced the pups in the Gretsch with TV classics. It's a beautiful guitar and the stock pups were nice anyway.

Best,

Phil

Noodler    1

I wouldn't put a Bigsby on a Tele (taste-wise), but I have seen some string benders that I want. They retro fit onto the bridge, and you can get them to bend say B and G strings separately, pedal-steel style:

Timara Custom Shop B & G Stringbenders

I couldn't afford a real Gretsch, so I bought an Ibanez Artcore with a Bigsby. We nicknamed it "The Gretsch." :)

I notice you are from Brizzy. Have you been to the Guitar Repairers?

(In Red Hill/ Paddington?). The guy there does the coolest mods on just about everything, including wallpapering Tele's and lacquering them himself. It was the first time I saw a Bigsby on a Tele, in his shop.

No I haven't been there. But just found this wild shop that makes, repairs, and mods everything -- specialties being Mosrites and Mosrite copies, as well as really intersting instruments called Tymbacker -- down at coorpooroo. Last thing I need is another burst of enthusiasm for guitar mods :eek:

A B bender has been on the agenda for a while :)

I think the gretsch i have is cheaper than an artcore -- it's a 5120 electromatic Korean made. In the states they are less than 700 bucks. Could easily have not put the tvs in and still been happy. mine is great feeling and sounding, but there are some really wild variations between instruments i tried. it was far and away my favourite even including the pricey ones.

I like the tele with the bigsby. And the others without it :)

Noodler    1

If I'd known you could get a Gretsch with a Bigsby for less than the Artcore, I would have done that too. The electromatics I saw didn't have trems on them, and I wanted one for rockabilly.

Brian Setzer plays what looks to me like an glittery silver Electromatic on a DVD set in Japan, and it is the gutsiest and grittiest of all the ones he plays. A bit like a Les Paul crunchy tone. It's got a wicked tone, and would no doubt have special pickups in it, but I don't know what they are. What appeals about the TV classics?

I think there are duo jets with sparkle finish -- not electromatics. He's got good info on his page about all the Gretsch's he plays. Brian Setzer maybe one of the 6129s on p 3. The classics are much more hard edged than the stock Koreans, which are regular underwound humbuckers. I really liked the sound of the stock pups when recording but they disappeared in a live situation. The TVs really cut through live and in the studio. Will post photos and sound clips when I get a minute.

Best,

Phil

Noodler    1

Spewing, I'm Southside. Would have been good. Got to make it into the Valley one of these days just to see it (I'm a mexican, hehe).

I'm seriously thinking about getting an Affinity Tele. It seems like (In $A) with Fender guitars, you get decent sounding ones for either really cheap, or really expensive. It seems like an Affinity is closer to a 52 Tele than many medium-priced Teles like Hwy 1, etc. The Affinitys seem to have that bouncy clear low-end. Seem really great for the money.

Been looking at Teles so much and then I went back to listen to the sounds that made me want one for rock, and they're different to what I remember. eg INXS, The Clash, etc. I'm even looking at Danelectro as being closer to Tele than some Teles. They've got that clear tinny-ness.

I think the hot one to try for you might be a Cool Vibes tele if you can find one. They had one at Hydes, but on the day I went in to buy it, it had already gone. The squier cool vibes is really original tele in many ways. First, the body is pine. People laugh about this, but it's what they made the original broadcasters out of. It has alnico 2 pickups in it too. The one I tried felt and sounded great.

If you want real "krang" from a squier, try a Tele Custom II with the P-90s in em -- I've been using one of those stock -- beautiful. Otherwise there is a '51 if you can find one. I used it stock on a track by naomi sunderland called "evolution" -- you can prolly hear that on Last.fm – The Social Music Revolution or www.coffeebeanrecords.com -- the 51 with original pups has the "clear tinny-ness" vibe. I changed out my 51 pups for a tv jones bridge and a dimarzio tele neck, which sounds amazing. I should get around to putting up some sound samples of these things. I got em really humming.

Stratrat    0
I think the hot one to try for you might be a Cool Vibes tele if you can find one. They had one at Hydes, but on the day I went in to buy it, it had already gone. The squier cool vibes is really original tele in many ways. First, the body is pine. People laugh about this, but it's what they made the original broadcasters out of. It has alnico 2 pickups in it too. The one I tried felt and sounded great...

+1 to PWG's advice above - the Squier Classic Vibe Tele has been getting great reviews from a lot of Tele enthusiasts.....haven't read anything bad about it yet.

Darkhorizon    0

"If you want real "krang" from a squier, try a Tele Custom II with the P-90s in em -- I've been using one of those stock -- beautiful. "

I bought one of those about an month ago and for the money it is great guitar. Collected mine from the guitar shop and it produces a good range of sound. It has a really nice playing action as well.

:winkthumb:

Noodler    1
+1 to PWG's advice above - the Squier Classic Vibe Tele has been getting great reviews from a lot of Tele enthusiasts.....haven't read anything bad about it yet.

Definitely keen on the 1950's version I have seen, made of pine. Haven't seen them advertised or around yet, but sometimes we get things behind the States.

Had a go of a Custom Shop Tele the other day. Wow! Such sustain and resonance. Seems the best sounds come from really cheap or really expensive Fenders.

I'll have a look at the p90 one, haven't seen it yet.

pwgrahamster, Coffe BEan radio link didn't work. Got me there but couldn't play songs.