Berto

Worth buying a Squier?

Berto    0

Ok, just a quick question.

I've come to the realization that my guitar is never going to "get better", and that taking it to a professional would do it little good. It's because it's a rather old, badly made Hohner Rockwood, which seems to be part of the "dud" family of cheap guitars. I think there's some going on ebay for around £20, and that says a lot I think :laughingg:

Anyway, I was already planning on buying a new guitar soon, it's just come a bit sooner than my finances would have liked. I can't keep playing on the Hohner, as much as it pains me, because the sound is so off and only now do I realize it's not because I'm usless at tuning (I'm actually not that bad I think).

To the main point: I don't have much money to spare on a guitar, so the price range is hovering around the £150 - £200 mark, don't need an amp as I got a new one a few months back, and right now the intonation and basic sound is more improtant than the quality of the amp.

Is it worth getting a squier in the £150 - £200 range? As bad as the hohner sounds, and as impossible as it is to get in tune, I still like the basic Strat sound over the Les Pauls and Telecasters I've had the chance to play, so a Squier seems like the safe choice for a begginer like myself, just want ot make sure I'm not heading for another guitar that will bring more frustration than joy (sigh).

I swear I try ot make these posts as short as possible.

krissovo    0

If you get a good one then why not, one of the guys on here GT has one and it sounds simply stunning. I would suggest you get your hands on it to try out.

I just bought a Wesley for £41 off ebay and that was good for the money so might be worth looking into. They get good reviews from harmony central as well, here is one up on ebay.

eBay.ie: WESLEY COLOMA MIDNIGHT DUST METALLIC ELECTRIC GUITAR (item 290159588731 end time 11-Sep-07 19:58:29 BST)

Reviews show that you either get a great one or a bad one

Wesley Coloma Strat: Harmony Central User Reviews

Good luck

Stratrat    0

Squiers aren't bad guitars as long as you avoid the rock-bottom models like the "Bullet" (don't know if they even make that one any more). The only enduring rap on Squier is that quality control can be spotty, so it's best if you can play before you buy, or buy from a place that has a good return/replacement policy. Even their quality control seems to have gotten better over the last couple of years.

Berto    0

Ok, the Squier doesn't sound as bad as I was fearing, so I'm going to try and get myself to the local (30 miles away :( ) music store and try one out soon.

But as usual, I posted this before really exploring my options, I'm too rash. I've stumbled across another "budget" brand that seems to be right up my street, and to boot I've found a very nice looking deal on ebay for one that could well be what I'm looking for.

The brand is Cort, and from looking around here it doesn't have many detractors, seems like a decent quality maker and has a few different sound "styles". This ones caught my eye: Cort X2

It sounds like a guitar I would get on with, it's a great price and it sounds like it's coming from someone who didn't just pick it up because it was cheap and is now bored of it (although I know ebay can be a minefield when it comes to the truth).

So I think it will be between these 2, but being the rash person I am (and not having the spare time I'd like to travel to the music store) I'm also tempted to just go for it and get the cheap Cort. Heck, it can't be worse than my Hohner and as long as it's going keep it's good intonation I should be happy for a while.

Thanks for the advice guys, it's good to have responsive people who know what they're talking about on here, rather than going by guesswork the way I was :)

Berto    0

Just to add, I checked out the X-2 model on Harmony Central and it's got some very good reviews, seems like it could be worth it for the price.

allthumbs    8

Corts are often overlooked. They make a nice line of guitars. It seems like an ok platform, assuming the neck is good. Jumbo frets are pretty big so take that into account. It will take a while for your fingers to get used to the speed bumps. You could have that rewired for a 5 way switch as well as adding a push pull pot to split the humbuckers for more tones.

Noodler    1

That Cort look great. Very "1980's Ibanez", which is cool. :winkthumb: I'm not 100% sure but it looked like there was a hole for a whammy bar too.

You'll notice that is has at the bridge a separate screw to adjust the intonation of each string, which is good, considering your concerns. It's got dual humbuckers and jumbo frets, so it's a bit of a "Shredder's" guitar.

The only thing is being ebay, you probably won't be able to play it first, look down the neck for twists, feel the weighting, check it doesn't buzz, the action, etc. Overall though it seems great! :claping:

LeeB    0

I can only speak for Acoustics but believe you get alot of bang for your buck with Cort guitars. A case of Not paying for the name... Not sure if the same applies with electric but am thinking it probably does.

fly135    5

I've bought two of the lower end Squire Affinity Teles and there were both great guitars. Sold one and still have the other. No regrets.

Noodler    1
I've bought two of the lower end Squire Affinity Teles and there were both great guitars. Sold one and still have the other. No regrets.

Can I ask where they were made, what pickups do they have (eg lipstick or humbucker)? More details or photos. What did you like about them/ not like. I want a tele for twanging, but don't want a huge outlay.

Thanks

fly135    5

Noodler, here's a link to a pic and a post of the Tele...

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/lets-see-your-equipment/10403-anutter-squire-affintiy-tele/

In a later post I also picked up a Std Tele...

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/lets-see-your-equipment/13547-guitar-gods-smiling-me/

I like the Affinity because it has a good neck, the frets are level, and the pups sound fine to me. I recently put a Bigsby on my Std Tele, so I took the bridge from the Std, bought some string ferrules and converted the Affinity to a string thru. I'n not sure how much diff it made because went from 9's to 10's on the strings at the same time. It plays fine both before and after.

Edit: Oh yeah, it's "crafted in china".

Stratrat    0

Here's a pic of my Affinity Tele - it's the one on the left. I'll pretty much echo Fly's comments about it - it plays fine. While the components (especially the tuners and electronics) are a step down from its Fender counterparts, they all work perfectly. I picked it up off my guitar rack the other day after not having played it for 3 weeks or so, and it was still perfectly in tune.

Mine's "Crafted in China" also.

5943.attach

Stratrat    0

Fly - I really wanted a Butterscotch "Blackguard", but wasn't willing to pay the $1350 price tag for a '52 RI, so the Affinity filled the bill nicely at $170. :yes: Of course the '52 RI is a nicer guitar, but having played one I can't say that it's almost 10 times nicer to match the price difference unless you're so hung up on authenticity that you just couldn't live with anything less.

BTW, I just looked back at your "Guitar Gods are smiling on me" thread.....if you haven't picked up a compressor yet, take a look at the MXR Dynacomp. I picked one up last week for $70 and really like it. You can do anything from pretty much a clean boost to totally "squashed" sounds, and at about a 11-12 o'clock setting on the Sensitivity knob it does a really good "Nashville" sound. Adds some sweet sustain, too. It's a keeper.

Berto    0

Well, it looks like both the Cort and the Squire ranges have decent guitars, and there's certainly plenty of fans of both.

Thanks for your views, thanks to them I have made a choice. Well, in fact I've just bought a guitar :claping: It should arrive in the next few days. I didn't go for the Cort in the end, it still seems like a good deal and I was tempted, but in the end I decided as a relative beginner I'd rather have a more versatile sounding guitar, which seems like the squire.

So I stumped up a bit more for this nice looking thing: Fender Squire Standard Strat with Humbuckers. I would like to hear your opinions on it, but after consideration I definitely think it's the right buy at the right time for me. Thanks for the advice guys :)

fly135    5

I have a cheap Behringer compressor but I don't think it works too well. I don't even have it on my pedal board right now. If I get a chance I'll try the MXr.

cshude    0

I've got a Squier strat- but I've done a few mods to it- blocked the tremolo, new pups and pickguard, and new tuning machines. It's a good guitar for the money- picked it up sometime around '92 or '93 for about $125 new. I see them all the time in the pawn shops for around $75-100, although I'm sure that you can wheel and deal them down to about $50-60 on one.

knight46    2

I have a Squier '51 and while no longer available it is representive I believe of the Squier line. When I bought mine there were three at the local GC, one had bad fret sprout, one had some blems on the finish and the other went home with me for $99.00. I have been very pleased with it ever since.

I guess that the moral to this that hands on is the way to go.

Berto    0

The Squier came today, and I'm very pleased with it :)

It's an amazing difference from the old beaten up Hohner, and it's going to make picking up the guitar even more addictive now.

I didn't really notice the buzzing so much on the old one, until I realized how cleaner the new one was. The tone is much nicer, the tone knobs actually work (lol) it's easier to play, and it doesn't go out of tune at the higher frets :) Even the action, which some reviews of Squier Strats have complained about, is fine for me.

I think this is going to be a big step in the path of my guitar learning, I can't believe it's taken me this long to get a guitar in working order but now I'm going to practice like I've never practiced before. Imagine how excited I'll be when I buy my first "high quality" guitar :smilinguitar:

Noodler    1
Here's a pic of my Affinity Tele - it's the one on the left. I'll pretty much echo Fly's comments about it - it plays fine. While the components (especially the tuners and electronics) are a step down from its Fender counterparts, they all work perfectly. I picked it up off my guitar rack the other day after not having played it for 3 weeks or so, and it was still perfectly in tune.

Mine's "Crafted in China" also.

Wow, so wonderful and shiny . Very tasty. I'm in love with the looks of those things. Can you post or PM me a sound sample?

Also, how do you think the tone would vary from a Mex/ American Tele? Are they basically just as good as long as you go for affinity? They sure LOOK sweet! I think I'm in love....