TylerB

Taylor Vs Martin

Hey, im looking to buy either a taylor 110e or a taylor 114e.. but before i do, i want to know about martins.

i've yet to find a good review that shows what i want to know.

so is there a good martin that i should consider before buying a taylor in that price range? ($660).

Thanks

Tyler

If you already own a guitar save a little more. Buy a Martin. They have the volume you need to play acoustic. If you want to buy an electric acoustic, I recommend Takamine or Ovation. They have the best pre-amps by far.

howmuch more money are we talking? also im morely concerned about tone and richness than volume...

thanks for the suggestion of the acoustic electrics, as that is what im looking for...

but im still more concerned about the tone and richness... since the type of music i play is revolved around a fuller sound.

The Martin DX1 / DCX1's are in that price range, and are nice guitars. The D-15 is there also, but it's not acoustic/electric. If possible, you should play them before you decide, as Taylors and Martins have very different sounds.....one may appeal to you more than the other. Taylors have a bright, airy sound while Martins are more bassy and earthy by comparison.

FWIW, I have a Taylor 110e and really like it. I spent several hours playing every guitar by pretty much every manufacturer in the price range (and a few that were well OUT of the price range!) before I made my decision. I liked the tone of the Taylor better than any of the others.

Breedlove also makes some very nice guitars in that price range that are worth considering.

Thanks Stratrat, im absolutely playing every guitar in my price range... but i am also looking for others opinions...

i've played guitar for a while now, but i just got a new PA system, since i've developed into a better singer... and now im looking for an adequate electric/acoustic that will balance with my voice.

i like the lighter sound in the taylors... both of my brothers that ahve taylors... (higher models)...

i've played a few martins, and wasnt all that impressed... but when i played the taylor... i was amazed of how much better it sounded.

i jsut want to make sure before hand, ya know?

please any other info you have i would LOVE to hear... from anyone.

takamine i'll look into, but im not looking towards spending 8 or 9 hundred.

Getting back to the tone thing, I own both and although mine are both high end guitars, my Taylor wins hands down because of the rich, earthy base tones. just my 2cents.

i prefer martin to taylor....a deeper richer acoustic sound that has plenty of volume without an amp, age just makes it better, it certainly is personal preference and what kind of music you plan to play....taylor is a great lead type while martin to me is a great rythm and lead....for my taste taylor is to trebley and tinny....but i play alot of gospel bluegrass and christian contemporary...

I think there are so many models of Taylor it is hard to define a 'sound'. Some of my students have Taylor's, and I have not been that impressed when comparing them to my Maton, but then I bought the Doyle Dykes Anniversay Edition Taylor - it is an incredible acoustic guitar. I get comments from people all the time at gigs that it is the best acoustic guitar they have ever heard.

The expression system is the best acoustic pickup I have heard.

If you get the chance try a Larrivee. The lowest model might be about $750 us if you look around. They have an amazing sound for the price. I tried out a D-03 and the LV-03. The LV-03 has a wider fretboard, 1 3/4 if I remember. They also have a rounder sized neck. It's a little bit bigger than the Martin/Taylor models. Some kind of oval design.

Very clear highs, mids, and deep bass throughout.

Excellent made guitar imho. :yes:

Just bought my 9 year old a Taylor 314ce. The best we have played by far. I would recommend you buy a guitar that will hold it's value. The Takamine are great but if you decide to sell you will have less problem selling a Martin or Taylor. Also they will not go down in value if you take good care of them.

Hi Tyler. You got some interesting replies here, all of them valid. I have 2 Taylors, 310K ltd and 314 Ke ltd. I also have 3 Martins, D-1, 000M and 00016GT.

The best IMHO is the Taylor 314ke which gives a beautifully balanced tonal range, ideal for fingerstyle. Or is it the old battered Martin D-1 which just booms when you get that right hand doing some work?

I think the point is Tyler, I could give you a different answer depending on what it is I am currently learning or playing.

If pushed I would say hold out for the Taylor but with one word of caution. I would advise you by the straight acoustic guitar and put a fishman system in later. The reason is the problems with the Expression system. It is not reliable. 1 example is the glue that attaches the sensors to the guitar drys out over time and causes feedback issues. I have a Fishman system in my 314 and I don't see how it can be surpassed.

Whichever you choose will be a cracker I can assure you but be sure to try them all out before you shell out your hard earned. One last point. If you play fingerstyle go for the auditorium body the 14. If you play plectrum or flat pick then the dreadnought or 10 model would suit better.

Happy hunting:yinyang:

If you get the chance try a Larrivee. The lowest model might be about $750 us if you look around. They have an amazing sound for the price. I tried out a D-03 and the LV-03. The LV-03 has a wider fretboard, 1 3/4 if I remember. They also have a rounder sized neck. It's a little bit bigger than the Martin/Taylor models. Some kind of oval design.

Very clear highs, mids, and deep bass throughout.

Excellent made guitar imho. :yes:

Ditto- I've got a D03E (acoustic-electric) and love it to death. My recordings don't come anywhere near to doing it justice.

Specifically in regards to Taylor vs. Martin- they're both excellent, although I do tend to play the Taylors longer whenever I'm in a store that carries them. What you also need to be aware of is that even two of the same model guitar can feel and sound different. I noticed that recently when I played a couple of Taylor 514 (if memory serves correctly) guitars, and although both sounded nice, one was really, really nice. If I had had some dough to spend, it would have been mine.

does the 110e have a preamp? (which is the 3 knobs right?... volume, high, low?)...

rephrase..... does the Taylor 110e have the 3 knobs? lol..

cause my friends doesnt... but all the pictures on the Taylor website does... as does some online purchasing websites (no im not buying a guitar onthe internet, just reading reviews)...

so im just confused ont he matter.

also... MySpace.com - Seconds To September - ROCHESTER, New Hampshire - Acoustic / Rock - www.myspace.com/secondstoseptember

great music... my 2 brothers and i

. The reason is the problems with the Expression system. It is not reliable. 1 example is the glue that attaches the sensors to the guitar drys out over time and causes feedback issues.

Happy hunting:yinyang:

I think the Expression system is the best pickup I have heard, and after a few years mine is still going strong. I think you could find examples with any company of manufacturing defects that occur to a small percentage of guitars - but I doubt this is the norm for the expression system.

That is good to hear Scotty. I have a pal who works in a big (ish) music shop and he has had a number of Taylor's returned with problems the ES.

Having said that Mine's a Taylor everytime. I hope I was not giving the thumbs down, completely. Thanks for your post, it puts a bit of balance on the subject

Martin? Taylor? Larrivee? Breedlove? Which is best? No one else can answer that but you! PLAY THEM ALL!!! Martin guitars are fabulous guitars (but you are looking at vintage and higher models). Their entry level guitars rest their laurels on their names? IMHO they don't deserve the logo. Taylors makes consistently great playing guitars thanks to their mix of high tech and hand labour BUT so does Larrivee. I have a Taylor 314 and a Larrivee D09. Both excellent guitars although not at same price/quality point/level.

Overall, a Larrivee entry level (03 series) would probably offer you the most bang for the buck. Save your money on electronics as you can add a pickup later as your playing gets better. For now get the easiest to play with best acoustic tone guitar you can get. You won't regret it!

Good luck shopping.