Stratrat

Here's where it all begins

Stratrat    0

Returning from a long intermission....

....my pickups arrived the other day and I finally got a chance last night to finish the guitar. I didn't take any pics in the process - basically I just mounted the pickups, soldered the wires into place, strung the guitar and did a quick setup, and she was ready to go!

First impressions from the brief bit of playing I've done so far:

The Warmoth "Fat" neck is absolute heaven for my big paws. For smaller hands or shredders who like razor-thin necks it may feel like gripping a baseball bat, but if you're a fan of substantial, chunky necks it's love at first grab!

Don Mare's pickups are awesome. They give it a very sweet vintage Tele sound with no "icepick" on the bridge and no "mud" when you switch to the neck. They're balanced very well and blend beautifully in the middle position.

To answer Krissovo's question earlier in the thread, I may actually have to "reverse shim" the neck (put a shim at the TOP of the neck pocket to raise the action - if anything, the action is too low! I have the saddles adjusted all the way up and the action is still lower than recommended by Fender in their setup guide, with a wee bit of fret buzz. I loosened the truss rod and am going to let it "settle in" for a day or two and re-check things before I decide what to do. I'm very strongly considering taking it to a luthier for a professional setup anyway.

I learned a TON from this project and while I certainly don't consider myself an expert by any means, I'm no longer afraid to disassemble, tweak, upgrade or repair most of the stuff on my guitars.

Without further "bla bla bla" on my part, here are a couple pics of the finished product:

6175.attach

6176.attach

mattz196    15

Fantastic Strat really pleased for you , looks way cool and great to read that all seemed to go to plan , give yourself a pat on the back , very cool thing to accomplish .

Stratrat    0

Thanks everybody. I have to say that I'm happy (and relieved!) at how it turned out.

Kriss - if I get to the point that I'm not satisfied with its playability, I'll definitely take it to a tech. If I can get it where I want it to be myself, so much the better. :winkthumb:

Mark - I can't recommend Don Mare highly enough. His work is outstanding and his prices are not that much higher than buying a good-quality pair of pickups "off the shelf".

GeetarGal - I haven't recorded anything with it yet -I've been real busy with other stuff the past few days and haven't gotten a chance yet.....heck, I haven't even had a chance to play it as much as I want to! I have both this guitar and also a brand-new "Highway 1" Tele (that's another story for another thread!) sitting here begging to be played, and no time to do it right now. :( As soon as I get some spare time I'll definitely record a clip and post it.

starsailor    20

Looks cool Stratrat, the build went really well, thanks very much for posting all the pictures and talking us through the process, very good of you to do that enjoyed watching this guitar grow, well done and have fun with the new guitar.

Best Wishes

Chris

diredigits    0

Thanks for posting your project guitar Strat. It was most enjoyable following your progress. You've put together a sweet Tele. Keep us posted as to the progress on the setup.

Stratrat, I've just got on line and read through the whole thread of your project. I take my hat off to you, and I absolutly loved the finished project (I love the colour) I wish I had that sort of time to get my teeth into a "labour of love" like that. Well done bro.

Stratrat    0

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I'm really enjoying it! It's nothing like the guys who have built their Teles completely from scratch, but it's still a very cool feeling to play a guitar that you put together yourself, with everything custom-spec'd to your liking. I should be able to make time to record a couple of clips pretty soon...just keep in mind that the guitar itself is much nicer than my playing!!! :yes:

I'm going to try shimming the neck at my next string change. Most of the fret buzz is gone now that the truss rod adjustment has settled in, but there's still just a teeny bit up on the higher frets (above the 12th), and it bugs me to have the saddles jacked all the way up and the truss rod cranked all the way out. Once I have the strings off for a string change, it'll only take five minutes to unscrew the neck and slip a shim in there.

Thanks Stratrat for taking the time and effort to do this, very nice of you. Sure has sparked some inspiration, one of these days I'm going to tackle making my own body and attempt the routing and all.

Can't wait to hear yours...:thumbup1:

Stratrat    0

Kenny, when you get ready to do it, let me know - I'll hook you up with a few instructional (not commercial) links that will be a huge help to you. One guy in particular does a lot of "scratch builds", documents them with plenty of tips and photos and is also very helpful about answering questions.

Stratrat    0

Okay, here's a quick soundclip of it. It's a simple noodly 12-bar blues type of thing....first time around I used the neck pickup for rhythm and the bridge pickup for leads; second time around was the middle setting (neck/bridge) for both rhythm and leads, but I doubled the leads an octave apart. Third time was the bridge pickup for rhythm and neck pickup for leads. No effects used other than a bit of reverb, and no post-processing done other than a bit of panning and volume shuffling for the mix. It was recorded in Audacity, drum track was from Leaf Drums, and I just laid a quick & easy bass track for the heck of it. The guitar is going direct-in to the mixer - no amp/mic used.

You can hear the fret buzz in a few places and I left all the clams in, as I intended to demo the sound of the guitar more than my less-than-stellar playing! :yes:

New Tele Demo.mp3