Stratrat

Here's where it all begins

If you've never heard of a "Partscaster", this pic will explain where the name comes from! :yes:

This is the start of my custom Tele build. The body and neck arrived yesterday afternoon, so now it's time to start putting it together....slowly and carefully, since it's my first build!

For the tech-heads amongst you, here's the detailed specs on it:

- Warmoth Ash body / Sonic Blue with cream double-binding, poly finish.

- Warmoth "Vintage Modern" Birdseye Maple neck / "Fat" back countour, compound radius (10" at nut, 16" at heel), 6105 frets, Corian nut, light satin poly finish.

- 3-ply W/B/W white pearloid pickguard.

- Vintage 3-saddle Fender bridge with Glendale compensated "Twang" saddles (aluminum E/A, brass D/G, B/E).

- Electrosocket jack plate with Switchcraft jack.

- Standard 3-way switching; CRL switch, CTS 250K solid-shaft vol/tone pots, .047uf "Orange Drop" tone cap, treble bleed on volume pot (.001uf cap w/ 100k resistor).

- Gotoh Kluson tuners.

- Dunlop Straploks, Fender knobs & switch tip.

- D'Addario XL .010 strings (at least to start with).

- Pickups: Haven't decided yet. Most likely Don Mare custom-wound.

As if you couldn't tell, I'm really geeked about this project and looking forward to the experience! :) I'll post more pics as the build progresses, if anybody's interested.

5910.attach

If I tried that, it'd look something like Johnny Cash's cadillac......it's a '69,'70,'71,'72.................................Good luck!

hb

Looking forward to your progress shots strat ,this will be a very intersting project to observe, good luck hopes it all goes well , not to many or no hiccups.

loking forward to seeing the end result.

All the best with it. I would love to build a guitar, but I can barely hold a hammer, let alone get a nail into wood - so something complex and requiring finesse are beyond me!

Okay, I squeezed in some time to work on the "Sonicaster" tonight, and took a few pics along the way.

First order was to install the tuners. Here's what the headstock looked like to start with:

5923.attach

The tuner bushings were a tight fit, and I wanted to be careful to make sure I didn't, a)crack the wood on the headstock, or b)drive them in crooked. I used a bolt with large washers to protect the headstock, and a nut on the other end. Tighten the nut down, and it draws the bushings right into the headstock holes, perfectly straight and perfectly flush.

Installing the tuners is tricky. These Gotoh Kluson tuners have a shared hole between each tuner, and everything has to be exact or they'll come out crooked or not fit. Rather than mark and drill pilot holes for the screws and then reinstall the tuners and pray they matched up, I clamped a straight-edge along the bottom of the tuners to hold them in place, then drilled the pilot holes and screwed them down with the tuners mounted. Tip: use wax or soap on the screw threads - maple is hard and these screws are tiny, and you do NOT want to break a screw off in the hole!

Here's the tuners all mounted up (in this pic and the last you can also see some of the neat "birdseye" pattern in the maple):

5924.attach

Next came installing the string ferrules in the body. This is another job that requires some finesse and thinking out what you're doing - set them down and just hammer them in and you could crack the finish on the body....or heaven forbid, have that hammer slip and put a big ding in it! :isaynothing:

Here's 4 of the ferrules already installed:

5925.attach

When the paint and clearcoat is sprayed onto the guitar during finishing, it shrinks the diameter of all the holes as it accumulates. You want the holes tight enough to hold the ferrules in place, but not so tight that you have to use too much force to get them in (see previous post.) The ferrule holes were too tight, so I used the "low-tech" approach of some sandpaper wrapped around a screwdriver shaft to ream them out enough for the ferrules to fit:

5926.attach

In this picture you can clearly see the difference between the hole I just reamed with the sandpaper and the hole next to it which hasn't been done yet. The finish is rounded over that next hole, reducing the diameter:

5927.attach

Next it was time to mount the neck. Since I took the easy way out for my first build and ordered a pre-finished neck and body, all the holes were pre-drilled and matched up perfectly - no headaches and a nice tight fit in the neck pocket. I didn't really feel the need to take pictures of screwing four screws into the metal neckplate on the back of the body (again - put wax on the threads to make them screw in easy.) Hey, this thing is actually starting to look like a guitar now! :) Here's the result so far (you can see the body binding in this pic):

5930.attach

I might ask santa for kit as it looks a cool project and it is going to be a great axe.

My First question is on joining the neck to the body, I read on similar projects that you need to shim the neck to body I take yours just fitted without the need to shim?

Another question on the equipment that you need to put it together, what do you need? So far I have seen:

Hamer

Screwdriver

Sandpaper

I would imagine you need these as well:

Solder

Soldering iron

Wire

Wire cutters

Anything else?