Tunecore - sell your music on iTunes

21 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:37 PM

Anyone using it? Or looked into it? It looks like a pretty neat way of selling your music through iTunes (and a few other online outlets) - it's not free to set up, but it's very reasonable.

I thought it might interest some members here who have finished songs (or whole albums) - Jomi, Rockerbob, Lcjones or anyone else - this wouldn't be a bad way to easily allow other members here to buy your music. No duplicating or sending out of CD's required. No hassling around with merchant accounts or online payment systems, Tunecore pay you directly either straight into your PayPal account or by cheque.

This is the site TuneCore: Welcome

Clancy
I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ~ Dr. Seuss

#2 OFFLINE   PeterTuneCore

Newcomer

• Members
  • 0 posts
  • Joined 07-September 07

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:05 PM

I saw your post, Clancy, just wanted to offer you a chance to ask any questions you might have about us. The world of digital distribution is something of a wild west right now, so we're all about educating people, so they can make informed choices.

Thanks!

--Peter

#3 OFFLINE   knight46

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,822 posts
  • Joined 21-February 07

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:13 PM

Very cool site, wish I had something that someone would want to buy...:yes:

#4 OFFLINE   PeterTuneCore

Newcomer

• Members
  • 0 posts
  • Joined 07-September 07

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:18 PM

Thanks, Knight! I can't believe it's been less than two years since we founded the company. It's just growing like crazy. But folks seem happy, so I am. I wrote the FAQ, so I like to answer questions, which is why I reach out a lot when I hear us mentioned.

Thanks again!

--Peter

#5 OFFLINE   Fretsource

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,403 posts
  • Joined 27-May 06

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:49 PM

Thanks Clancy - It does seem a very well set up and professionally run service. I've never seen such a detailed FAQ - ever!

And credit to you Peter for making a personal appearance on our forum to offer further info.

I'm with Knight on wishing we had something that people would actually want to buy. Maybe we have and just don't realise it. Perhaps your site already covers this (it was far too big to take in everything at one go) but information on how to promote our work to at least bring it to the attention of potential buyers would be invaluable.

#6 ONLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:08 PM

Hi Peter, thanks for joining up and offering to answer questions here. I found your site through an ad on Harmony Central and was impressed with what seems like a great independent way for musicians to get their music out there and sold without too much hassle.

As Fretsource says, that is some FAQ's page you have there.

I really recommend that any member here who has music that they would like to make available for sale have a look at this site and to ask Peter any questions in this thread so we can all benefit from the answers.

Let's support our own talent here.

... and Fretsource, I'm sure you could make available some of your recordings. Don't underestimate yourself. Same goes for you Knight.

Clancy
I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ~ Dr. Seuss

#7 OFFLINE   Aunt Doty

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,577 posts
  • Joined 24-January 07

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:50 PM

Jomiiiiiiiiiii............where are you?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yes:

This does sound like and excelllent opportunity for some of our talented members!! Myself not being in that league. Good information!

#8 OFFLINE   Jomi

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,794 posts
  • Joined 23-March 07

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:44 AM

:D Thanks Aunt Doty.
I tried but as of now I can't get any songs to upload to the site, I had a couple of go's but it sticks on the 'currently uploading' page AND it recommends flashplayer, so I downloaded that but it still says I need to get flashplayer - ad infinitum - just like trying to get on the video chat here!
Where's my manager when you need him???? :)

#9 ONLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:50 AM

What browser are you using Jomi?

Clancy

#10 ONLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:01 AM

Maybe you should try this Jomi if you haven't already. Uninstall Flashplayer completely using the downloadable file and following the instructions here - How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control. Then install a new version of flashplayer.

Clancy

#11 OFFLINE   Lcjones

• Active Members

• 2,738 posts
  • Joined 10-January 06

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:07 AM

Clancy,

Great find!

Peter,

I think you have a righteous program going. Most of us here are "home recorders" and obviously can't afford studio class recording services for the highest quality of sound. Yet there are some fabulous sounds and songs coming from the basement, as it were.

Can you give us an indication of the success "home studio" recordings are having at Tunecore?

Thanks for your time.

LC

Respect The Music
I'll saddle up my pony so I wont be so lonely, at least I know his heart is true

#12 OFFLINE   Jomi

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,794 posts
  • Joined 23-March 07

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:22 AM

Thanks Clancy :)

I followed your instructions and flashplayer installed ok (again), the upload seemed to be going fine but now there's a problem with the recording bitrate which needs to be 320kbps compared to the 128kbps in my Mp3 files. :reallymad:

#13 ONLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:32 AM

Jomi said:

Thanks Clancy :)

I followed your instructions and flashplayer installed ok (again), the upload seemed to be going fine but now there's a problem with the recording bitrate which needs to be 320kbps compared to the 128kbps in my Mp3 files. :reallymad:

What did you record them in Jomi? Can you not resave them at a higher bitrate. Shouldn't be too hard. You can work it out, I know it. :)

Clancy

#14 ONLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:39 AM

Lcjones said:

Can you give us an indication of the success "home studio" recordings are having at Tunecore?

I know this question isn't directed to me Les, but this is how I see it.

I think with the fan base you have here Les you would be able to sell your recordings as they are. I think Tunecore really just enables us to submit our music to all the digital online music retailers and lets us get paid in one lump sum. The promotion will still be up to the artist themselves... but we have a great memberbase here and that will be the beauty of it I think. We can start supporting and promoting our own.

Clancy

#15 OFFLINE   Jomi

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,794 posts
  • Joined 23-March 07

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:50 AM

I'm not sure what I recorded them in Clancy but I had Mp3's set to save at 128kbps, each time I save a music file Auditions warns me that I'm saving a lossy file and some information may be lost. I've changed the default setting now.
I opened a song in Auditions and saved it again at 320kbps (not sure what I should expect from doing that), it sounds ok to me AND it uploaded ok.
Thanks for the pointers Clancy - maybe I'll try that old engineers trick - when all else fails, read the instructions:isaynothing:

#16 ONLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:55 AM

Jomi said:

I'm not sure what I recorded them in Clancy but I had Mp3's set to save at 128kbps, each time I save a music file Auditions warns me that I'm saving a lossy file and some information may be lost. I've changed the default setting now.
I opened a song in Auditions and saved it again at 320kbps (not sure what I should expect from doing that), it sounds ok to me AND it uploaded ok.
Thanks for the pointers Clancy - maybe I'll try that old engineers trick - when all else fails, read the instructions:isaynothing:

So did the Flashplayer error message disappear? Maybe you will be able to access chat now too.

Glad you got it worked out Jomi. Looking forward to having your music available for sale soon as I'm sure a number of our other members are too. AuntDoty for one. :)

Clancy

#17 OFFLINE   Jomi

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,794 posts
  • Joined 23-March 07

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:14 AM

Clancy, yes, the Flashplayer error message disappeared.
I've been reading through the FAQs page, there an awful lot to digest but I think I have the gist of it now.
The prices are reasonable enough to give it a try for a year, but I think I'll spend a bit of time upgrading some of the recordings first.
I'll go and try the chat now!! :)
When all else fails, read the instructions.

#18 OFFLINE   Jomi

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,794 posts
  • Joined 23-March 07

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:19 AM

Brilliant!! Video chat worked this time, had an informative conversation (and some tunes) with Rockerbob and Petmaniac.

#19 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,877 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:50 AM

Great idea Peter and thanks for pointing us in tunecore's direction Clancy:winkthumb:

Knight you've got two songs on the Songwriting forum at the moment so it won't be long, good luck Jomi, LC, Rockerbob etc. this is a great way to get the songs out there and make some money too:guitardude:
You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#20 OFFLINE   Jomi

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,794 posts
  • Joined 23-March 07

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:27 AM

I think it's worth mentioning that songs have to be uploaded at 320kbps which is a higher quality than the default Mp3 setting, it's easily changed though.

I think that this site and others like it will spell the end for the greedy record companies.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users