fritz_monroe

Acoustic vs. Acoustic/Electric

I'm using a cheap guitar that I borrowed from my father at the moment. I'm still in the shopping phase, so have a question about acoustic vs. acoustic/electric. Does the acoustic/electric have the sound of an acoustic, or is it slightly different? I doubt that it would have an electric sound, but is it identical to the acoustic? I won't be going with an electric, mainly because I'll take it camping with me, but I'm not entirely sure about these 2 kinds of guitars

Thanks in advance.

Witchy explained the differences perfectly, I am just offering an opinion. I own both an acoustic & an acoustic/ electric. Aside from the a/e just being a better all-around guitar, I prefer the a/e just because it presents more sound options, however it does present the possibility of mechanical issues regarding the electronics. Then again, if I do have issues, the unplugged version still works! Just trying to present pros/ cons.

i chose an acoustic electric and have no regrets. Love the versatility.

Yep, all about the versatility for me too. Love playing mine through a mixer.

i chose an acoustic electric and have no regrets. Love the versatility.

+1. It's nice to be able to play it "unplugged" as an acoustic, or to plug it in for recording / more volume when needed.

Ok, so it has some versitility. Usually it sounds like an acoustic, but with the effects, can it sound like an electric if you want it to?

You can to a certain degree but it is like the acoustic simulators for electric guitars where you can tell its not an acoustic. Also increase the gain and it soon starts poping and feeding back and the sustain is much lower.

My A/E is having problems with the electronics so that is a definite

problem. Other then that its great to plug in when you need to. Using a mic with computer can be a pain, its so much easier to just

plug in. You can get E/A that sound more electric depending on the

wood its made of. Mine is ash with a thin body cutaway and sounds

more electric;)

Just keep in mind it does cost more for an amp which will let the A/E sound truely acoustic. I used to run mine through a Fender Frontman 25R and it almost sounded like an electric with humbuckers. A better choice is an acoustic amp, a keyboard amp/PA(my choice is a Behringer 90watt ) or a mixing board/PA.

If you want to do any kind of recording... Get the A/E unless you want to buy a nice instrument mic. Trying to lay down some acoustic with just a regular pc mic is pretty much impossible. The pick scrapes get picked up ridiculously well, and I don't strum hard... I could probably negate that some by moving father from the mic and boosting the input level on the mic... But it would be so much easier if I could just plug the damn thing in haha.