Clancy

rss feeds - do you subscribe?

Yesterday I put an icon with the direct link to each forums rss feed. It's up the top near the "New Thread" button on each forum's page.

Is this worth keeping? Do you use a feed reader or do you not know what on earth I'm talking about?

This is what the icon looks like rss.gif

IE 7 has a built in feed reader. I use sage for Firefox.

Thanks for any feedback.

Clancy

do you not know what on earth I'm talking about

Thats me ....

No idea at all Ms Clancy , would this not create alot more work for you ?

But then again like I said , " do you not know what on earth I'm talking about "

I have a old saying that I use alot , " If it aint broke don't try to fix it "

Thats my opinion

But everyone knows me :)

Trev....:):)

Clancy - I just had a go at this in IE6 - what I got when I clicked on the orange icon was a view of the webpage source code. What is supposed to happen?

I also have no idea what an rss feed is, btw - been meaning to find out.

Cheers.

Hi Clancy, that would be a good addition. I usually subscribe to news. Now I can add the GFB&B forum. Thanks for that.:yes:

Hi, justinthyme, if you are using IE6, you will be needing a separate rss feed reader (many freewares available) but if you use firefox there is a default rss reader and you can just to the bookmarks toolbar folder.

Hi Clancy, that would be a good addition. I usually subscribe to news. Now I can add the GFB&B forum. Thanks for that.:yes:

Hi, justinthyme, if you are using IE6, you will be needing a separate rss feed reader (many freewares available) but if you use firefox there is a default rss reader and you can just to the bookmarks toolbar folder.

Ah yes - just re-read Clancy's post re IE7. I usually use Firefox, so I'll have another look. Thanks.

Is this worth keeping? Do you use a feed reader or do you not know what on earth I'm talking about?

One new member for that club here .

Perhaps someone could enlighten me .

Thanks Scorpius

""RSS (which, in its most recent format, stands for "Really Simple Syndication")" Well the simple bit sounds good , so you get notified when a thread to which you are subscribed has a post made in it .Seems like a good idea.:yes:

Thanks Scorpius

""RSS (which, in its most recent format, stands for "Really Simple Syndication")" Well the simple bit sounds good , so you get notified when a thread to which you are subscribed has a post made in it .Seems like a good idea.:yes:

No it doesn't quite work like that Matt. It shows you the last threads posted in a particular forum. For example if you subscribed to the "Playing the guitar" forum, your feedreader would show the latest threads posted in that forum... I don't use a feed reader... but I know some people swear by them.

To get notifications of the new posts made in a thread, the best way is just to subscribe to the email notification system here on the forum.

Cheers

Clancy

Thanks Clancy , Doesn't sound that great the way you describe it, think I'll stick with the "active threads" feature which I think is fantastic, but then I'm probably a luddite.

Thanks Clancy , Doesn't sound that great the way you describe it, think I'll stick with the "active threads" feature which I think is fantastic, but then I'm probably a luddite.

I guess (for example) it could work well if you were a member of many forums - it would an easy way of checking new threads without having to visit each site separately. But of course you guys are only members of GFB&B, so what use would it be to you? :)

Clancy

I guess (for example) it could work well if you were a member of many forums - it would an easy way of checking new threads without having to visit each site separately. But of course you guys are only members of GFB&B, so what use would it be to you? :)

Clancy

This and The Cross Stitch for beginners and beyond forum only for me and yes I'm a beyond on that forum.

IE 7 has a built in feed reader. I use sage for Firefox.

Thanks for any feedback.

Clancy

Clancy,

I have been using Sage for quite awhile. I subscribe to a number of web sites. I like the format and it's pretty easy to use.

I'll try it for awhile and see how it goes. I think that the layout is probably most important here. Since there are hundreds of posts per day the RSS feed can just give you the titles/headers of the posts in a itemized format, maybe on a few pages. Sage can do that on one of it's display windows and a more detailed description on another window. It's all up to the individual on what reader you want to use and what you want to have displayed. My 0.02.

John

Clancy

Other forums ??? There are other forums and no one told me ...

That would be one way of getting rid of me Clancy :)

Your just messing with my head now aint you :)

Hi Clancy didn't have a clue what RSS was either, though I have now been educated, I only discovered the Active threads link a few weeks ago, now that's in my eyeline I use it all the time, I don't know if RSS would benefit me. Maybe the best way forward would be to put this up as a poll with a brief explanation of the benefits of using RSS, it might not be worth your while if not many people use it. Just a thought.