Tekker

Gas! Gas! Gas!

Tekker    1

..... No this time it wasn't mine. :isaynothing:

One of my guitar students has ordered a Raven West guitar (on my suggestion of course :yes:), and it should be here by the end of the week. But of course he had to go and get the same model and color that I want to get before me.... :nono:

ravguitar_1948_49382434

ravguitar_1963_5977547

I've been dying to get my hands on one of these out for a long time, so now I'll finally get a chance to. If they play even half as good as they look it's gonna be a real treat! :winkthumb:

-tkr

Tekker    1

It is definitely a nice piece of eye candy. :D

Ok, now without looking it up.... How much do you think that guitar costs? ;)

-tkr

mattz196    15

One of my guitar students

Has just been advised by his teacher that he would be better suited to piano, and of course he would be only too happy to relieve him of unneeded gear ;)

Stunning guitar

$1750.00

Tekker    1

Hehe, that's what I was hoping for..... Are you ready for this?......

......$470! :)

RAVENWEST GUITARS

Is that amazing or what?

It seems at that price there HAS to be a catch somewhere, it's almost too good to be true. But I'll know very soon if they play and sound as good as they look. If so, I'm saving my pennies! :winkthumb:

Has just been advised by his teacher that he would be better suited to piano, and of course he would be only too happy to relieve him of unneeded gear ;)

This would be a great plan if I could somehow intercept the UPS truck..... Once he gets his hands on it, I don't think he's going to be converted to piano so easily. :(

-tkr

allthumbs    8

I have mentioned Raven here before. A great bang for the buck. I used to chat with their designer every now and then. He has since retired. He used to get paid in one of every guitar he designed for them. Needless to say he has guitars everywhere in his house.

Tekker    1

It just came in today.... And oh man is it ever awesome! :clap:

It's super light being a semi-hollow, but it's got some serious bite to it. We tried it through his new VOX AD50VT and it sounds great! I also brought my solid body Cort CL1000 over for a comparison and the Cort left with it's tail between it's legs. Although he did have an unfair advantage in that my strings are VERY old and his are brand new, so I'll change strings and go back for a rematch on our next lesson Monday. ;)

The neck is exactly what I like, thin but not "super" thin. It was setup perfectly, no fretbuzz and it was very easy to play.

So yeah, I'm definitely saving up!!! :claping:

-tkr

eddiez152    129

Tekker,

Did you buy that guitar ? I see it has a 1 3/4 nut thats cool. Thats somewhat hard to find in itself and not common for the most part.

Are those jumbo fretts or regular ?

I see its got some great reviews too.

Tekker    1
Tekker,

Did you buy that guitar ?

No, one of my guitar students did. I just got to go over and play it as soon as he got it. :winkthumb:

Are those jumbo fretts or regular ?

They felt like regular frets, although I don't think I've ever played jumbo frets for a comparison.... Or if I have I wasn't paying that much attention to it. lol

-tkr

justinthyme    3
Hehe, that's what I was hoping for..... Are you ready for this?......

......$470! :)

-tkr

OK, I was closest .... need my address to send the guitar to? Umm - that was the prize, right? :laughingg:

Tekker - excellent find. Hope you enjoy yours when the time comes! :)

Tekker    1
I have mentioned Raven here before.

I first heard about them mentioned on this forum, so it was probably by you and I have had my eye on them ever since! These are amazing guitars at an even more amazing price.

The next test is going to be up against the PRS that the guitarist in my church band plays. He's a true tone snob in every sense of the word, so if he likes it then that's a HUGE thumbs up! :)

OK, I was closest .... need my address to send the guitar to? Umm - that was the prize, right? :laughingg:

Sorry, I have first dibs on it. :) Although he didn't seem to be too interested when I suggested switching to piano. So I guess we're out of luck. :(

-tkr

Stratrat    0
...The next test is going to be up against the PRS that the guitarist in my church band plays. He's a true tone snob in every sense of the word, so if he likes it then that's a HUGE thumbs up! :)

Yep - matching up to a PRS would put it in some pretty lofty company indeed. Great price for that axe if it plays and sounds as good as it looks!

Tekker    1
How did you feel about the tone Tekker?

I'm not very used to his amp yet, as it's brand new also (just got it a few days before his guitar).

But playing his next to my Cort through the amp, his was very impressive. But course I need to change the strings on mine as that makes a big difference in tone. Old strings just suck the tone right out of your guitar. So I'm gonna change them before Monday so I can do a more accurate comparison.

I would also love to do a comparison with the PRS that our electric guitarist uses. He's also got a $4k or $5k Guytron amp. So this will be the ultimate test on tone! :) Unfortunately he's not playing with us at the moment (he's taking a break for a while) and I don't know when he's going to come back.

I was gonna get a Sheckter before seeing this. Too narrow of a neck on them for me.

So was he. That's what he was looking at when I suggested that he look more into the Raven West.

He played the Sheckter and also a Jackson (another one he was looking at getting) through this amp down at the Guitar Center and he said he likes the Raven West better and he's glad he got it.

The acoustic player at my church has a Sheckter (he used to own the PRS, but sold it to our electric guitarist), so I can do a comparison with the Sheckter also. The Sheckter is also really nice, but I haven't played both through the same amp. It's also been a while since I've played the Sheckter so I can't even compare how both feel. One thing I can say for sure though is the Raven West is a LOT lighter. :D

-tkr

eddiez152    129

Tekker,

It will be interesting to get your results on this. And their opinion.

The lighter body and fretboard is the interesting part. The guitar is beautiful you know.

The color reminds me of an Old Schwin bike I had back in 1959.

Tekker    1
Guytron! Never heard of 'em.

What are they like?

I hadn't either until I saw his.

Guytron makes some amazing sounding tube amps. Great for blues and jazz and does amazing heavy distortion too!

Here's a bunch of samples I found of the Guytron: I'm not sure if this is the same model our guitarist has, but it sounds like it could be.

Guytron Guitar Amplifiers

Not all of the recordings are very good quality, but these below are my favorites of their recordings and give the best idea of how it sounds.

http://www.guytron.com/images/mp3/heavy_ab_strat.mp3

http://www.guytron.com/images/mp3/funk_a_prs.mp3

-tkr

Tekker    1
Tekker,

It will be interesting to get your results on this. And their opinion.

I'm really interested in this also.

I've also suggested that we go down to Guitar Center with it and compare it against the Gibson, Fender, and PRS (if they have any, which they do sometimes) guitars.

The lighter body and fretboard is the interesting part.

Yeah, the light weight was really nice. The string spacing was also much better than my electric for finger picking. It seemed like they were spaced a little farther apart than mine because I was able to finger pick a lot easier on it without having to worry about bumping other strings.

-tkr