BackToBlack

Joined the Fender Club

Well guys and gals-

I became a member of the Fender club this weekend as I upgraded over the weekend to what I want to be my signature guitar. I took a long time to decide between a Stratocaster or a Telecaster and after careful deliberation, I chose a Tele. I love Strats, but that classic 50's look and that punchy, twangy Tele sound is like a Siren's call. I named her Carmenere, after the deep red wine. Ah-it's great to be a Fender guy.

:smilinguitar::clap:

5696.attach

5697.attach

Beautiful guitar, BToB - congrats! Those wine red Teles are certainly beautiful. "It don't mean a THANG if it ain't got that TWANG!". :D:yes: Let's hear some sound clips!

I only have one electric and it is an American Fender deluxe Nashville with the parson green B bender system. Has an extra tex-mex pickup in the middle with a five way switch. Like you I have a love affair with my tele. Yours is absolutely a beautiful ax. Wish you many happy hour of playing enjoyment. I had a Squire tele before that. I passed it on to my grandson. Soon as I learn how to post pictures I will post mine. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys!

Hey Stratrat- which do you prefer? Strats or Teles?

Tele all the way, baby!!!

I like the Strat and it certainly has its place, but I can't seem to put my Tele down long enough to find it! :)

Lori - that bound 'burst Tele is absolutely mouth-watering!!! :wow::drool:

BToB - "TeleMaster" is a title I can only hope to reach one of these days...right now I'm just another hack with a nice-lookin' guitar. ;) Spend a lot of time playing with the pickup selector and vol/tone knobs in different configurations - you'll be surprised at the amount of different tones you can get out of such a simple guitar.....I use them on the Tele much more so than any of my others.

...I'd like some chick'n pick'n. Deep fried, If y'all don't mind...

Precisely what I've been working on lately. A lot more to it than one might think. Country pickers don't get the credit due them, IMO - it's a lot harder to play "clean", you don't have all the distortion to hide your mistakes!

Welcome to the Fender Club. We meet on Tuesdays. Just don't bring potato salad to the meetings, no one ever eats it.

Great looking guitar, for a Tele. Kidding lol. Don't know much about chicken pickin though, other than Zakk Wylde is famous for it.

Precisely what I've been working on lately. A lot more to it than one might think. Country pickers don't get the credit due them, IMO - it's a lot harder to play "clean", you don't have all the distortion to hide your mistakes!

Amen, brother!

For those who don't happen to know, chick'n pick'n is hybrid picking. In which the plectrum (pick) is held between the thumb and index finger as normal but using the middle, ring and sometimes pinky to accompany the plectrum. Basically, it's finger picking while using the plectrum. Nearly every tune you hear which includes incredibly fast or an unfathumable number of notes in a measure is done by hybrid picking.

A couple of examples ... Albert Lee, Brian Setzer . Albert Lee being the god-father of chick'n pick'n. Nearly every country lead twanger, with a Telecaster, over the last 30 years has based their playing technique on the Albert Lee way of guitar life.

The blue-bloods call it hybrid picking, real folk call it chick'n pick'n.

LC

Amen, brother!

For those who don't happen to know, chick'n pick'n is hybrid picking. In which the plectrum (pick) is held between the thumb and index finger as normal but using the middle, ring and sometimes pinky to accompany the plectrum. Basically, it's finger picking while using the plectrum. Nearly every tune you hear which includes incredibly fast or an unfathumable number of notes in a measure is done by hybrid picking.

A couple of examples ... Albert Lee, Brian Setzer . Albert Lee being the god-father of chick'n pick'n. Nearly every country lead twanger, with a Telecaster, over the last 30 years has based their playing technique on the Albert Lee way of guitar life...

In addition to the above, two fine examples I've been listening to a lot lately are Brad Paisley and Redd Volkaert. Brad is just ungodly fast - banjo rolls, double stops, etc. in addition to the pickin'....he's one of the "shredders" of country music. I just bought a 2-DVD set from Redd Volkaert's website which includes a live performance with his band at the Continental Club in Austin, TX (worth the price of admission all by itself - in addition to Redd's playing, Cindy Cashdollar picks a MEAN steel guitar!) and another instructional DVD entitled "Stolen Licks". Redd shows some fine examples of chick'n pick'n and double stops, along with a tab booklet to help you figure out what the heck he's doing. It's gonna take me a while to get this stuff down pat, but it's fun learning!

Don't forget Cliff Gallup. Great player although many have never heard of him. What's even more impressive is that, just when he was on the verge of making it big, he gave it all up for his family. Apparently, later in his life when he was asked about the influence he had on people like Albert Lee, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, he basically said he'd never heard of them.

What I like about him is his inventiveness and some of the unexpected notes he used to play. Check out the second solo in 'Race With the Devil' when he just throws in that one note about an octave up and then jumps back down again for the rest of the solo (around about 1'19).