krissovo

I got gas. New Tele for £41

I won a brand new Wesley Telecaster copy on ebay for £41. The reviews seemed ok so I thought why not.

eBay.ie: WESLEY VINTAGE T-SURF METALLIC BLUE ELECTRIC GUITAR (item 290146077199 end time 08-Aug-07 19:58:41 BST)

meg9401mbl_03.jpg

I have also ordered a pre-wired pickguard for this with GFS pup's and new tuners and a new bridge to try and turn it into something semi decent. If all else fails and its not very good I shall sell it on. Its only beer money at the end of the day.

I am also winning a bid for this one and I think I will pick it up at the same price:

etl150_bls_03.jpg

I have always fancied a hollow body with P90's.

Hey Krissovo, is that a string-thru design? I'm putting the bridge from my std tele on my Affinity and converting it to string-thru. I'll be curious to see how you like the conversion. Did you get locking tuners? I just put the Bigsby Trem on my std tele and new strings. I haven't had a chance to see if the stock tuners hold.

Good Luck!

Nice Teles, Kriss - congrats. That thinline is definitely unconventional for a Tele-type guitar, but still looks like it would be fun to play!

Yes I've seen them on Ebay, I'm still looking for a cheap electric, any chance you could post a review on this Krissovo? good result on the price and it's a nice looking guitar:thumbup1:

Very nice, I too recently bought a guitar (samick strat) for 10-15$.

Had it fixed up at the luthier, and it seems to be worth quite a bit more (not that I'm planning on selling).

Hey Krissovo, is that a string-thru design? I'm putting the bridge from my std tele on my Affinity and converting it to string-thru. I'll be curious to see how you like the conversion. Did you get locking tuners? I just put the Bigsby Trem on my std tele and new strings. I haven't had a chance to see if the stock tuners hold.

Good Luck!

I have no idea if it is a string through model so sorry. I am looking forward to it coming now. The tuners I have gone for are from guitar fetish and are the E-Z locks at the bottom of the page. Fender Style (Six on a Side)

I also got the replacement pups and bridge from the same place.

Yes I've seen them on Ebay, I'm still looking for a cheap electric, any chance you could post a review on this Krissovo? good result on the price and it's a nice looking guitar:thumbup1:

I will do a full review, it will be a couple of week though.

It has arrived!!!!

On initial inspection I have got an absolute bargain! I colour is fantastic, its more a sea greeny blue than the blue in the pic. The frets are well dressed, the setup is nice and low, no blems on the guitar at all. The only thing I notice is the nut looks cheap, its a plastic block but to be fair its setup well. From a couple of strums in the office this morning un-plugged it was actually sent almost in tune!!!!!! No buzzing and the neck feels nice, not like my american strat but still for £41 it feels great. I will plug her in tonight when I get home from work and complete a full review for those that are interested as well as some nice photo's.

Sounds good Krissovo, how did you get on with the Hollowbody that looks good as well.

Outbid on the hollowbody :-( I will try again when another comes up in another auction.

Outbid on the hollowbody :-( I will try again when another comes up in another auction.

Wesley usually have guitars on there so you'll get another chance, I got outbid on a guitar last week but I have to set a price and stick to it otherwise I'd get carried away.:)

I put the std tele bridge on my Affinity this weekend. Drilled the body and put in the string ferrules. Sounds good but I up sized my string gauge from 9's to 10's so a direct compare wasn't possible. If you decide to do the same, I have some tips on things that I should have done but didn't that affected the outcome cosmetically.

It has arrived!!!!...

...I will plug her in tonight when I get home from work and complete a full review for those that are interested as well as some nice photo's.

Sounds like it was a good find, Kriss....can't wait to see the photos and read the rest of your review. I recently bought an inexpensive Tele also (the paisley one) and am very satisfied with it.

Fly135 - it would be cool to see pics of your Affinity conversion also, and I'm interested in your tips - I've been kinda considering doing something like that to my Affinity BSB.

Stratrat, here's a description of what I did and what I should have done.

The Affinity Bridge was the same size and the location of the string bridges were the same. So here's what I did.

1) Remove old bridge and place masking tape over the front and rear locations.

2) Put old bridge back on and mark around it with a pencil. This gives me the location to place the new bridge on. If your new bridge is a different size then measure and mark the tape so the new bridge has the individual string bridges at the same location of the old.

3) Remove the old bridge and place the new bridge in the correct location. Mark the holes for drilling the new mounting screws. The masking tap should be in these locations so it can be marked easily.

4) Drill the new mounting holes and mount the new bridge. Clean up and remove tape now. Put a little soap on the mounting screws so they don't bind while putting them in.

5) Remove the string bridges if you haven't already (for the last step) so you can drill the string-thru holes.

NOTE: this is where I messed up. If you don't have a drill press then it's hard to make sure you drill a perfectly vertical hole. In my typical bull in a china shop fashion I just drilled all 6 string-thru holes and they weren't perfectly aligned on the other side. This is one of my cosmetic problems. So the next step is what I recommend instead of what I did...

6) If you don't have a drill press for perfect alignment and you are doing it by hand like me then.... Only drill the two outter string thru holes all the way thru with the same small bit you used for the screws. Drill the remaining interior 4 holes only deep enough to make it to the string ferrules. IOW about 3/8" short of all the way.

7) Flip the guitar over and put masking tap over the two string holes. Then draw a straight line between the holes. Measure equal spacing for the interior 4 holes and drill them about 1/2-1" deep. If you are lucky they will meet the holes from the other side.

8) Drill the string ferrule holes using the other holes as starting points. Use a scrap peice of wood to make sure the bit size matches the ferrule snug tight.

9) You should be done but the string through holes may not match. You should be able to see this in the string ferrule hole if you drilled deep enough from the other side. If you completely missed the mark then you should of used a press:). Nah you can;t be that bad at lining up.

10) Push in the ferrules and you're ready to restring.

NOTE: the last cosmetic mistake I made is fixed by putting masking tape on the back of the guitar before drilling. This prevents paint from chipping around the drill. This is important when drilling the 1/4" string ferrules. I chipped paint on two ferrules before I stopped and put the tap on. Tape before drilling is a good motto.

Anyway so mine has ferrules that aren't exactly in a straight line and a couple small paint chips. But it's solely cosmetic and it sounds great.

Oh I should had added for step 9... The thru holes may not match exactly, but they should be close. You should be able to use the small string thru drill bit to route the hole and make them come together enough so that the string goes thru when restringing.

Ok here she is, the £41 Tele:

My first impressions was that it is a great guitar, now I have plugged her in for an hour or two my next impressions are that it is a great guitar...........BUT with a couple of minor issues.

Good points:

1. The bridge pick up - Sounds great, its crystal clear and produces a sweet "twang". The tone is worthy a much more expensive axe. Tomorrow I shall do a comparison with my American strat, I bet you cannot hear €1235 of tonal difference

2. The neck, slick, quick and a very reassuring hold

3. The finish, looks like she is worth 10x the price at least. Even if it was a dud it would look great mounted on a wall. The finish is much better than my Epi LP custom that cost about 18x the price of this baby. The pics do not do it justice but the metalic blue paint job is great and there is tiny red flakes that make this a true sexy axe.

4. Tone pot - Works very well, I was shocked about the full control it gave me of the tone and not just a tiny adjustment it worked the full rotation of the pot. Thats better than most mim strat's I have played!

5. Tunning, apart from the issue below the tuning held for about 70 minutes of messing around and was still in tune when i went back a couple of hours later.

Ok points:

1. Fret work - They are fine apart from see bad points below, same quality I would suggest as my Epi

2. Set up, from the box it was almost in tune and the action is nice......in fact near perfect for me!!!!! I have also changed my mind at what i initially thought was a poorly finished nut, its fine again better than when i first picked up my Epi LP Custom.

3. Neck pick up - A bit muddy, I think it needs adjusting a bit but still sounds good when mixed with the bridge pup. I can get a great dirty blues tone from it so i not upset by it.

4. Low E was initially a pain to tune up but then held fine

Bad points:

1. 5th fret low E - I can get virtually no sound from this fret, I think it has been shaped to harshly. Every other fret gets great tone but this one. I will not it back for this, it would be worth spending a few €'s on to sort out. I rarely use this so I might even live with it

2. Electrics, when strumming I think if my hand struck the pup selector the volume would change slightly. I had planned on this already and i might re-wire at the weekend and insulate the electrics as well. It might be just my hand also hitting the volume knob but i might film it tomorrow to put my mind at ease.

3. Strings are poor, who cares she still sounds good and I shall treat her tomorrow to a couple of packs

Conclusion:

Lets face it for £41 I didnt expect to purchase a axe that could play anything but this has sooo much going for it. The tone is very good and the finish looks great. So I have one dud fret that chances are I will not use very often if at all. My only problem I have now with this make of axe is where am I going to store the other 4 guitars that I am going to buy from them and what do I do with all the add on I bought......Do i need them i ask my self?

Tomorrow I shall post some sound clips.

5692.attach

5693.attach

5694.attach