Guitarplayer_heavymetal

n00b at recording.

What do i need to be able to record my guitar? i'd like to post of some of me on this site,

but i dont no what i need to record.i want to record my electric.

heres what i have

-cool edit pro

-electric guitar and amp(etc)

-a computer

thats bout it im willing to spend 100bucks (canadien)

you can do it w/an amp and mic but it's easier w/a modeler or even a pedal. You want to use the Aux In on your sound card. Get a stereo Y plug or adapater to go into that then work backwards to your guitar. If I were you, I'd bag a used Johnson J-station and come out of the 1/4" jacks out, left and right, and adapt that down to the Y going in your Aux In.

allthumbs    8

If you have a line out on yor amp you can plug it into your sound card. You could go through a bad monkey pedal (40buck) it has a mixer line out port you can use to your sound card.

Lcjones    8

Guitar_Player ...

You've got some good equipment and software. If you want to record directly into your PC you're going to need a couple of things.

You're going to need a transport (just a fancy word for equipment) to get your guitar sounds from your guitar to the PC. Yes, you certainly can do an "open mic" type of thing and have a mic positioned in front of your amp to grab tone. But in a home atmosphere that can get pretty mushy. You have no way to control what's coming out of the amp as it goes into the PC via the mic.

I highly recommend, at the minimum, a Behringer console. Such as this .. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Mixers?sku=631238

You can plug your guitar into any chain of pedals you have, plug into the Behringer, and then plug into the line-in on your PC. And as UGB said, if you can get your hands on an amp modeler, you'll have a very wide berth of control. From the console you have complete control of sound levels.

You will need adapters to convert your 1/4" guitar patch cables to 1/8" computer soundcard inputs. Check Radio Shack, or your local electronics shop for 1/4" to 1/8" adapters. And be sure to verify what sound card you have and whether the line in supports MONO or STEREO jacks and get the appropriate adapters. Most likely your guitar cables are MONO, so you'll need 1/4" MONO to 1/8" Stereo adapters.

I use a Line6 POD and a Behringer EU1202 console.They are very easy to use and the result is studio quality. Aside from the computer itself, my total investment for a "home studio" including software, Nady acoustic guitar condenser mic, an MXL 990 condenser mic for vocals, associated cables, the Behringer EU1202 and Line6 Pod was about $450.00 US. And just so you know, my computer is a Dell 8400 with a 3.4 GHZ processor, 1GB ram and and 80GB hard drive. And that cost was about 1200.00 US, give or take a buck. But I also ran all the same equipment with a home-made 1.0GHZ with 256Mb ram box before I bought the Dell.

Also, I swear by Audacity. It's the most righteous audio editor available. And its free ... as in Open Source. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Les

Guitar_Player ...

You've got some good equipment and software. If you want to record directly into your PC you're going to need a couple of things.

You're going to need a transport (just a fancy word for equipment) to get your guitar sounds from your guitar to the PC. Yes, you certainly can do an "open mic" type of thing and have a mic positioned in front of your amp to grab tone. But in a home atmosphere that can get pretty mushy. You have no way to control what's coming out of the amp as it goes into the PC via the mic.

I highly recommend, at the minimum, a Behringer console. Such as this .. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Mixers?sku=631238

You can plug your guitar into any chain of pedals you have, plug into the Behringer, and then plug into the line-in on your PC. And as UGB said, if you can get your hands on an amp modeler, you'll have a very wide berth of control. From the console you have complete control of sound levels.

You will need adapters to convert your 1/4" guitar patch cables to 1/8" computer soundcard inputs. Check Radio Shack, or your local electronics shop for 1/4" to 1/8" adapters. And be sure to verify what sound card you have and whether the line in supports MONO or STEREO jacks and get the appropriate adapters. Most likely your guitar cables are MONO, so you'll need 1/4" MONO to 1/8" Stereo adapters.

I use a Line6 POD and a Behringer EU1202 console.They are very easy to use and the result is studio quality. Aside from the computer itself, my total investment for a "home studio" including software, Nady acoustic guitar condenser mic, an MXL 990 condenser mic for vocals, associated cables, the Behringer EU1202 and Line6 Pod was about $450.00 US. And just so you know, my computer is a Dell 8400 with a 3.4 GHZ processor, 1GB ram and and 80GB hard drive. And that cost was about 1200.00 US, give or take a buck. But I also ran all the same equipment with a home-made 1.0GHZ with 256Mb ram box before I bought the Dell.

Also, I swear by Audacity. It's the most righteous audio editor available. And its free ... as in Open Source. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Les

quality stuff.you sound like you know what you are talking about:thumbup1:

so i should consider geting a behringer?what other things could i do with this?

you should know,you sound well educated with this please tell me what other things this machine,can do.if i get 1 i'd like to know more about it first.....

-thanks.

Lcjones    8

guitar,

The Behringer is your sound level control. With it you'll have the ability to Pan Left and Right for stereo seperation as well as low, mid and high frequencys. Most good audio editing software has the same the features, however, with a console you can control the level of sound "before" it gets to the computer.

A short example ... if you're going to do any home recording get to know the word "clipping" and what it means. If your sound is going directly into the audio editor without any pre-amp or mixing console, exactly what you are playing is exactly what you're going to record. And if you clip, you'll have to do it all over again. With a console you can experiment prior to recording and get your sound level the way you want them without have to record all over again.

Clipping is when the sound level goes beyond the db threshold or out of normal db range. As noted below, the clipping zone is what turns your sound into mush and buzz and harsh tones coming from your speakers. Clippping is to be avoided at all costs. ( or at least, reasonable cost ;) )

Having a console like the Behringer or similar tool, will allow you to contol the sound levels before it gets to the computer, and that truly simplifies the production and mixing processes.

clipping zone

(+10)------------------------------------(+10)

no clip

( 0)--------------------------------------( 0)

no clip

(-10)------------------------------------(-10)

clipping zone

And like all things of this nature, there is a learning curve as well. Because once you step out of the "creative" playing music window and into the "technical" production window, it's a whole new ball game. You'll learn to seriously appreciate how much work goes into producing a high quality song that you hear on the CD. And thats not a bad thing! :) I think a musician that learns the technical side of things has a better appreciation of the creative side of things as well and works harder to make his or her music better to begin with.

Can you image what the Beatles could have done if George Martin had the equipment that we can get today? I can't!

Les

Hey,thanks again man i can use that machine for a lot,i'd like to get 1.i prefer using a mic to get that real sound,instead of a straight plug in.so without paying so much money i can use this console like a 4 tracker too,with my pc programs right?All I need now is a

mic,and the machine......buts that bout it right?-thanks for reading this and writing a lot of things.