Tekker

Soundcard Dead?

I'll just wait for you to come back in a few hours and say....Nooooo that didn't work.:) :)

You can test the PSU with a home multimeter, but it needs to be under a constant load to get a good (accurate) reading of the output.

It's probably easier to run the one you have in there currently (pun) until you know whether the PSU was the prob or not.

Another thought----If windows was installed with the dodgy RAM chip in the PC.....you are now testing everything with a corrupt windows installation (see what I mean about chasing my tail).

I'll just wait for you to come back in a few hours and say....Nooooo that didn't work.:) :)

LOL! I'm waiting for that too....

But believe it or not it's still working. I've rebooted several times and each time it shows up. But again, I'm not getting my hopes up until this thing works for a month straight. Then and ONLY then will I come back and say it is fixed. :D

You can test the PSU with a home multimeter, but it needs to be under a constant load to get a good (accurate) reading of the output.

I was hoping for an easier way. Like a program or something. I know you can find voltage leves in the BIOS for the motherboard or something like that.

It's probably easier to run the one you have in there currently (pun) until you know whether the PSU was the prob or not.

This may take a while then.............. About a month to be exact. :D

Another thought----If windows was installed with the dodgy RAM chip in the PC.....you are now testing everything with a corrupt windows installation (see what I mean about chasing my tail).

Interesting. So I probably should remove the stick and reload windows again.

The other "good" stick has also caused windows to freeze up when booting a few times. So who knows what's going on.

I have a friend who is a network admin for a local school district and he said he has some tools there so maybe he'll have a way to test RAM. Unfortunately he's out of town and I'm not sure exactly when he's coming back... But if this problem is not solved by the time he gets back, then I'll find out what he can do.

The RAM is Cosaire so if it is bad (which it certainly seems like it is) I can get it replaced for free.

Maybe I should also try the "bad" stick with the "good" power supply, just to be sure this was the stick is bad and nothing else was causing a problem. I'll try that one tomorrow.

One thing's for sure, I outta be pretty good at troubleshooting computer's by the time this is over with. :winkthumb::D

-tkr

Still working!

In case this turns out to be the problem, here's the replacement I'm lookin' at. (BTW, I am NOT getting my hopes up mind you.... Just thinking ahead is all. ;);):D)

Power Up 450-Watt ATX 120mm Fan SATA-Ready PCI-E-Ready 24-Pin Power Supply GEN-2005 at TigerDirect.com

I guess one way to verify that my PSU is bad would be to plug it into the family PC and see if my Q10 stops working there. But I don't want to risk messing up the components on the family PC if it is bad/going dead, so I guess I'll just stick to running the family PC's PSU on mine for a while. It's only a 300 Watt supply, so I'm not going to plug all my stuff in with this one.

There's also this nifty little gadget. With as many hardware problems as I seem to have, maybe it's time to start collecting some hardware diagnostic tools. :D

Ultra 2024 Pin Power Supply Tester ULT31553 at TigerDirect.com

Also, if the PSU is going bad, I wonder why only my Q10 is showing any signs of this. Everything else works flawlessly. The Q10 must be a power hog or something. :dunno:

-tkr

One way to check the power supply is with a volt meter. The video will work without drivers well enough for you to reinstall them later.

PC Wizard is free software that you might try. It will give you some voltage readings to your devices.

It's usually best to install drivers in safe mode so Windows auto-pilot doesn't take over which sometimes screws things up.

It is still working. :claping:

I rebooted about 4 or 5 times today, turned the computer off completely a couple times, and uninstalled/reinstalled the driver and it worked every time.

I even put the "bad" stick of RAM back in by itself and it booted into windows just fine and my Q10 drivers loaded fine also.

Maybe that RAM stick isn't bad after all? It seems like a very strange coincidence because I tried all kinds of slots and rebooted several times and that stick would never load by itself. But the other one worked most of the time except for a couple occasions where it locked up also. It looks like the PSU had something to do with this, but I wonder why one stick would never work by itself but the other one would..... Gremlins maybe? :dunno:

But the PSU appears to be the problem.... Well, at least it has lasted longer than all the other "fixes" thus far. I've already taken this PSU one out and put it back into the family PC so I won't be able to test anymore with it (the natives were getting restless and wanting their computer back). But I don't want to put mine back in if it is dying so no more testing there either.

I'll look into getting another PSU (450 Watt), any particular brands you recommend or brands that I should avoid? ;)

-tkr

Connecting Point didn't have much of a selection under $80, so I got a 550 Watt for only $30 (it doesn't mention a brand anywhere on the box or the PSU itself, all it says is WT550i). This one is 100 Watts more than I had before, so hopefully it'll hold up for a while. :winkthumb:

I put it in before I had to leave and rebooted it a few times, then I let it run with the minimal stuff I had in before (two hard drives and everything disabled in the BIOS), I rebooted it several more times when I got back and it continued to work. Then I plugged everything back in, put the 2nd video card back in, and enabled everything in the BIOS and rebooted several more times and it still works!

:clap::clap::clap: I think we did it!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

I've said that before, so hopefully I won't end up eating those words. LOL! But this has lasted much longer than all the other fixes. Ever since I took my power supply out the Q10 has worked every single time. Even with all the other stuff that I "thought" were causing problems back in my computer, it's working just fine.

Thanks everyone for your help and support!

And for skinnybloke a very special

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

:claping:

-tkr

Tekker,

Hope it works out. Glad to see it. Skinny's my hero too.

Be looking forward to your posts. This has been educational. Wish I could have done something other than keep you smiling. I would have made a catapult and watched it fly. Just part of the engineering process you know.

Congrats Tekker! I hear a worldwide forum-based sigh of relief :)

Actually, I think that was just me....... You could hear that huh? :D

Tekker,

Hope it works out.

It seems to be. I haven't had anymore driver problems since removing my old power supply! :)

I would have made a catapult and watched it fly.

That's what's in store for this power supply!

I'm still trying to decide on quick and forceful (ala hammer) or a slow and painful death like what it put me through the last 3 weeks! :devil2:

-tkr

what a man Skinny you are

Congrats

Indeed. Great effort from Skinny. :claping:. Congrats to Tekker for keeping the faith. Really glad it's continuing to work for you.

Looks like there goes my chance at a live-in tutor :brickwall:

I don't know about that.... I'm sure my next computer problem is right around the bend.....

:helpsmili

-tkr

I'm sure my next computer problem is right around the bend.....

:helpsmili

-tkr

... and that's when we call in the SWAT team! :yes: For the computer, of course - not you, Tekker LOL

Tekker,

I say to you my man, take the power supply. slowely pull each wire out, split the case, rip the guts out, and madly laugh at it while to toss it outside to rust in a slow death. Finally, when it is weak from rust crush it and send it to its final resting place, the garbage.

eddie, I like the way you think! :winkthumb:

Here's a few things I've been thinking:

Reversing any polarized capacitors and plugging it in.

Melting/burning the guts with a soldering iron.

Taking up to a shooting range for target practice. (I don't shoot, but for this, I'll learn. ;))

Backing over it with my car.

Then finally, dousing is in gasoline and taking a match to it.

:clap::yeahhh:

-tkr

Excellent, I haven't been game to ask in case I jinxed it.:yes:

Until I come back on posting....

NOOOOO IT'S NOT WORKING AGAIN!!!! AAAARRRRRRRGGHHHHHH!

Then you can safely assume that it is still working! :D

-tkr

PS. Thanks again skinnybloke! :winkthumb:

Like your idea of reversing the polarity of the caps. That is sure to please. If you do it, video the power up and post it.

LOL! Well, I do have an old motherboard (which is also bad) that I could plug it into. :devil2: I don't think you can turn the power supply on without it being plugged into the motherboard.

I may just have to do that! ;)

-tkr