Tekker

Soundcard Dead?

This has been interesting reading! What about us poor folk that just know how to plug 'em in and turn it on?? I think we're in deep_________!!!! Good luck Tekker, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you, that's about all the hrelp I can offer!:clover:

Now this is weird.....

There seems to be a lag of about a minute or so before the Aardvark drivers load. If I check the sounds and audio devices properties and the playback devices aren't there I just let it sit for a minute and they will show up. I tweaked the graphics accelerator also, so maybe this has something to do with why it is working now. I know before even when they were showing up trying to select ASIO drivers in Samplitude would cause it to crash. So I don't know what exactly I did that fixed it. LOL But it seems to be working now.

Also windows will sometimes not load when I try to log on (I've let it sit there for over 5 minutes), but after rebooting (once or twice) and it does load it takes less than 2 seconds to log in. So I'm going to try reloading windows again and see if that clears this issue up.

But for the time being IT IS WORKING!! :clap: I'll keep you all posted if this changes. I'll be giving it a good work out over the next couple days just to be sure.

Thanks everyone for your help and support! :yeahhh:

-tkr

OK, upon further testing..... I don't know what is going on! LOL

I stuck the other vido card back in and the playback devices showed up in the sounds and audio properties, but upon trying to use ASIO drivers in Samplitude it froze up. So I'm quite positive that video card is bad. Then after removing the video card and booting up the playback devices still weren't showing up (waiting well after a minute). I tweaked the graphics accelerator and no change.... So I set it back to normal and rebooted and now it works.

I think I have audio gremlins or something.

-tkr

Does it continue to work after multiple restarts? (giving time for the drivers to load)

If the answer is yes, it's probably not the video card that was causing the conflict but the video drivers for that card.

It takes TWO restarts for windows to completely dump the drivers for a removed device.

Does it continue to work after multiple restarts? (giving time for the drivers to load)

Last night yes it still worked after a few reboots, today.... no! :(

I tried rebooting it a few times today and it was still working after the first one, but on the second one it stopped working and I've done several after that and it's still not working. I reloaded the Q10 drivers and still nothing.

So it's back to not working now. The other video card is still out and it's not working. I guess that wasn't it after all.

Out of all the computer problems I've had, this is by far the worst problem I've had, because it works for a long time, goes through many tests and it seems to be fixed and then nothing. Soooo frustrating!!!! :mad:

I tried running memtest yesterday to test the RAM and there were no errors.

-tkr

This looks VERY promising....

While trying to look up how to find the BIOS version I found out about this nifty utility in windows called msinfo32.exe which can be used to check your BIOS version.... Turns out it does a whole lot more. I used this to check my IRQ's and sure enough my video card and Q10 are on the same IRQ (IRQ 19).

Here are the list of IRQs:

IRQ0 System timer

IRQ1 Keyboard

IRQ5 Ethernet

IRQ6 Floppy Disk

IRQ8 clock

IRQ9 Microsoft ACPI

IRQ11 PCI system management

IRQ13 numeric data processor

IRQ14 primary IDE

IRQ18 RAID

IRQ19 Q10

IRQ19 Rage Fury Pro {Video}

IRQ20 Standard openHCD USB

IRQ20 Standard enhanced PCI to USB

IRQ21 Standard openHCD USB

IRQ21 1394 {Network}

IRQ22 NvDIA N-Force {Network}

I have no idea how to change it (or what to change it to) but this seems to be a very likely source of the problem here.... :)

-tkr

I recently got a new puter with Vista (which is good) and I lost the ability to record the output of the computer (What U Hear)!!!! Which sucks because now, if I want to record a lead over a BT, I have to import it into Auacity as opposed to hitting play and just recording over it.

I uninstalled the onboard sound and put a cheap Audigy in there (same model I was running in my XP box, only newer). I was expecting the same features as I had in my XP box BUT, Billy changed the way sound is processed in Vista so no more multi-source recording (at least not via software)!!

Besides that, Vista is pretty cool but I miss XP Pro!!!

OK, well, um.... It's not the IRQ. :(

I just moved the card around until I got it into an unused IRQ (IRQ 17) and the problem persists. After reloading the drivers and rebooting a number of times the Q10 devices still won't show up in the sounds and audio devices.

Tekker,

What kind of computer is this ? Besides the computer from hell !

It's one I assembled myself:

Asus A7N8XE Deluxe Motherboard

AMD Athlon XP2800+ Barton

Corsair VS1GB300C3 1GB DDR SDRAM (x 2)

But I think the computer from hell is pretty accurate.

Next on the list.... My BIOS version is 1013 created 11/12/2004. Google didn't turn up anything more recent so I think this is the latest one.

-tkr

I recently got a new puter with Vista

I've heard so many bad things about Vista that I'm staying away from it until they completely stop supporting XP. Even then I'll probably still keep XP on a dual boot and offline for my recording apps.

-tkr

Is the family computer Intel or AMD?

The family computer has:

K7T MS-6330 Motherboard

AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.4GHz

640MB SDRAM (don't know the brand)

-tkr

Probably because it's so easy to record streaming audio.

It's ridiculous IMO. People have been legally recording songs off the radio for decades now! The computer just makes for better quality and convenience. I liked it primarily for recording tracks quickly and easily anyways. Someone will likely figure out a way to emulate the direct sound and incorporate it in Vista as a hack.

All you have to do is get a y adapter and run a line from output to line-in lol (in theory anyways, haven't got around to doing it just yet). Just a bit of inconvenience is all.

I've heard so many bad things about Vista that I'm staying away from it until they completely stop supporting XP. Even then I'll probably still keep XP on a dual boot and offline for my recording apps.

-tkr

All my hardware and apps run fine so far. Games seem to be running even better (most likely because of the better graphics processor). Smooth and fast! I would recommend getting a ton of ram if you want to upgrade though.

It eats a gig for breakfast. Running smooth on 2 gigs so far.

Tekker…this is a doozy.

So much has already been covered, that I’m just going to throw a heap of things that you can try in your own time.

1/ Did you just memtest the ram, or swap the chips out? (memtest is unreliable)

2/ Take the hard drive and Q10 from your PC and put them in the family PC. You know the Q10 works in the family PC, so if it plays up after moving it and the drive, the problem is on the drive. Unless the family PC has an intel chipset—see below

3/ Apparently the Q10 doesn’t like the VIA chipset found on a lot of motherboards. Both Asus & Gigabyte use these chipsets! (I guess I’m suggesting swapping out the M/Board for an Intel chipset board if yours is VIA, leave this option to last)

4/ Dry solder joint on the M/Board. As you’ve changed slots this doubtful. (Again, leave this to last, but you might have a warranty claim)

5/ Power supply! If possible, swap yours out for one with more watts. Try the one from the family PC, if it’s compatible.

6/ Unplug power and data cables from the floppy drive, CD, DVD……EVERYTHING, except the hard drive you boot from.

7/ Make sure that no external peripherals are plugged in IE: Printer, speakers, mic, scanner

Do all the above one at a time, OK

This sort of problem used to drive me nuts in the shop, I would chase my own tail for a couple of days before solving it.

Something made it work after the second video card was removed, so we a clue!:dunno:

My approach would be …Option 1/, 5/, 6/, 7/, 2/, . Option 3 and 4 both mean a new M/Board

1/ Did you just memtest the ram, or swap the chips out? (memtest is unreliable)

I just ran memtest. I thought this would be better as it would say for sure if the RAM had a problem. With all of the "fix/not fixed" stuff going on I figured this would be the sure way to tell.

I just removed one of the RAM sticks and it is working now.... But I'm not going to get my hopes up just yet. LOL!

2/ Take the hard drive and Q10 from your PC and put them in the family PC. You know the Q10 works in the family PC, so if it plays up after moving it and the drive, the problem is on the drive. Unless the family PC has an intel chipset—see below

The family PC has an AMD. But I'll have to reload windows again on the family computer, right?

3/ Apparently the Q10 doesn’t like the VIA chipset found on a lot of motherboards. Both Asus & Gigabyte use these chipsets! (I guess I’m suggesting swapping out the M/Board for an Intel chipset board if yours is VIA, leave this option to last)

I have been using the Q10 on my system for over 2 years. So the Q10 will definitely work on my system, there's just something wrong with it at the moment.

5/ Power supply! If possible, swap yours out for one with more watts. Try the one from the family PC, if it’s compatible.

My power supply is more powerful than the family PC. Mine is 450Watt server power supply.

6/ Unplug power and data cables from the floppy drive, CD, DVD……EVERYTHING, except the hard drive you boot from.

I tried unplugging the data cables, but not the power supplies, I unplugged the power supplies as well when I took the RAM out.

7/ Make sure that no external peripherals are plugged in IE: Printer, speakers, mic, scanner

I just had a couple audio cables in the onboard soundcard for my mixer. I just unplugged them.

Something made it work after the second video card was removed, so we a clue!:dunno:

Any clue what that clue means? :D

-tkr

Hmmm

I just ran memtest. I thought this would be better as it would say for sure if the RAM had a problem.

Never trust a computer to tell you there's something wrong with itself.

I just removed one of the RAM sticks and it is working now.... But I'm not going to get my hopes up just yet. LOL!

You're learning how this works:yes:

The family PC has an AMD. But I'll have to reload windows again on the family computer, right?

No! You can just feed it the drivers it asks for when you plug your drive in. (Starting with a fresh windows does make things cleaner though) It's up to you!

I have been using the Q10 on my system for over 2 years. So the Q10 will definitely work on my system, there's just something wrong with it at the moment.

One of the chips could be borderline good/bad

My power supply is more powerful than the family PC. Mine is 450Watt server power supply.

Doesn't matter what it says on the label. Is it delivering?

A good 350 watt is better than a bad 450 watt.

I unplugged the power supplies as well when I took the RAM out.

Good

I just had a couple audio cables in the onboard soundcard for my mixer. I just unplugged them.

Good

Any clue what that clue means? :D

Next question please:smilinguitar::yes: :yes:

-tkr

Tekker, It's now a process of elimination....we'll get there.

I would hope it's the power supply.

Skinny

Did this problem start after updating Windows by chance? Every once in a while, an update will screw with drivers.

I would uninstall the video and sound drivers and devices. Boot to BIOS, and make a note of your settings and then load the default settings for BIOS and reboot into SAFE mode.

Install the drivers for sound and video in safe mode. Reboot to XP. See if it works. If it does work, reboot and go back into BIOS and set your parameters back where they were and reboot back into XP.

If this doesn't work, if System Restore is enabled, go back to a time when you know it was working.

Tekker, found you a solution......come on over and use my set-up, not as swell as yours, but you probably need a break from yours and I would love to watch and learn first hand from you....to tip the scale in my favor...I'll buy the :beer:

Hang in there TKR...We're all still pulling for you.

It looks like one problem has been found though, one of my sticks of RAM seems to be bad. Even though memtest gave both a clean bill of health, I swapped it out and sure enough one of them will not boot into windows at all (tried different slots and everything). Windows will never load if it's just this stick of RAM. However, there have been several times where windows locked up with the "good" one in also.

Skinnybloke knows what's he's talking about! :winkthumb:

At first the drivers loaded after removing the "bad" stick, but after a few reboots it went right back to not showing up anymore and hasn't come back since. So the RAM was a problem but not THE problem to my Q10.

Doesn't matter what it says on the label. Is it delivering?

A good 350 watt is better than a bad 450 watt.

Very true. It should be delivering though, it's not very old (much newer than our family PC's). I'll try a swap though and see what happens.

Did this problem start after updating Windows by chance?

No, I hadn't done any updates in between the time it worked and the time it stopped working. Also I tried sticking in an old 6GB hard drive that still had windows on it and it had XP SP1 still (because SP2 would not fit on that drive). It didn't work with SP1 either and I know the Q10 worked on that right up till I stopped using it.

I would uninstall the video and sound drivers and devices. Boot to BIOS, and make a note of your settings and then load the default settings for BIOS and reboot into SAFE mode.

Will the video still work without the video driver? I've already tried removing the audio driver and reset the BIOS (pulled the CMOS battery out and set the jumper setting to reset the CMOS). But I didn't reinstall them in safe mode.

If this doesn't work, if System Restore is enabled, go back to a time when you know it was working.

I've completely reloaded windows (which didn't fix the problem). So there are no restore points since it's been working.

-tkr

Tekker, found you a solution......come on over and use my set-up, not as swell as yours, but you probably need a break from yours and I would love to watch and learn first hand from you....to tip the scale in my favor...I'll buy the :beer:

You have no idea how temping that is! :D:D I'm about ready to throw this thing in the trash and get a Mac. ;)

-tkr

Swapping the power supply has brought the Q10 back to life.... What a shock! LOL We'll see how long this one lasts. :dunno:

How can we verify that this is the cause? Just let it run and see if it dies off again or is there a way to monitor the power is being put out by the PSU or the power being consumed by each of the devices?

-tkr