Tekker

Soundcard Dead?

Lcjones    8

I'd forgo a system restore if everything else is working and use it as a last resort only.

What OS are you running Tekker?

Hmmm.... Sounds like an ownership problem.... not being able to delete an an entry. Send the full error to me as well.

By that I mean, Windows has numerous users on a machine well before you get it. There is a USR, SYSTEM, of course Admin and a couple others.

It very well could be that pieces of the software that was install could have received weird ownership other than Administrator. We find out who owns the offending file and then grant ownership to that file causing the error to Admin.

This can be hard to explain ... Let me know your OS and well take a look at that angle.

LC

starsailor    20

I'm not that technical as you know Tekker, I was just concerned that you are delving deeper and deeper and risking compromising your computer, could it be time to take the Aardvark out in the backyard and shoot it. I'm not being flippant I just wondered if it's worth damaging your system to try to solve the problem but as I say I'm no expert and despite your modesty you know a fair bit about computers. and a lot more than I do, hope you can find a solution to the problem.

Regards

Chris

Tekker    1

LC,

I'm using XP Pro SP2.

I'm not that technical as you know Tekker, I was just concerned that you are delving deeper and deeper and risking compromising your computer, could it be time to take the Aardvark out in the backyard and shoot it. I'm not being flippant I just wondered if it's worth damaging your system to try to solve the problem but as I say I'm no expert and despite your modesty you know a fair bit about computers. and a lot more than I do, hope you can find a solution to the problem.s

No worries! I've reloaded windows more times than I can count. :D So there's no harm done, the registry is only windows and if something gets messed up beyond repair I can always reinstall it.

I have my system setup so that Windows is on it's own partition. Nothing else is loaded on this partition (other than the user settings and the occasional program that will only install on the C drive). All of my program installations are saved on another drive. So I could wipe out my C drive right now and not loose anything, other than a couple days of non-stop work reloading/reinstalling everything. ;)

So yes, my $500 soundcard is worth more than my windows settings. :D

-tkr

si16    10
I'd forgo a system restore if everything else is working and use it as a last resort only.

Well it only takes a couple of minutes and it's completely reversible. It's a feature I've used many times without causing further issues. It probably won't solve the problem but worth a try, no?

starsailor    20
LC,

I'm using XP Pro SP2.

No worries! I've reloaded windows more times than I can count. :D So there's no harm done, the registry is only windows and if something gets messed up beyond repair I can always reinstall it.

I have my system setup so that Windows is on it's own partition. Nothing else is loaded on this partition (other than the user settings and the occasional program that will only install on the C drive). All of my program installations are saved on another drive. So I could wipe out my C drive right now and not loose anything, other than a couple days of non-stop work reloading/reinstalling everything. ;)

So yes, my $500 soundcard is worth more than my windows settings. :D

-tkr

Point taken Tekker that is a bit too much Cash to Trash :winkthumb:

fly135    5

I went into the registry on one of my XP computers and tried to delete an entry in that section for a previously removed VGA card. And it wouldn't delete. Not a privilege thing either as I could delete entries in other sections. You might try booting in safe mode to delete.

fly135    5

The computer I'm using right now doesn't have any devices I want to chance deleting. But I found that when you right click on a registry entry there is a menu item for permissions. Might be worth checking that out. On this computer it says I have full permission (see the advanced button).

The last resort would be a full format and reinstall of XP. For a $500 sound card I'd do it.

Tekker    1
But I found that when you right click on a registry entry there is a menu item for permissions. Might be worth checking that out.

IT WAS!!!

You're a genious! :clap:

I'm off to reinstall the card and the drivers! :D

-tkr

Tekker    1

Dang..... Still doesn't work. :(

I'm gonna try a system restore and see if that does anything.

*EDIT*

OK, no I'm not.... It seems the system restore is only saving restore points for the last 4 days, which does not go back before the problem started.

Bummer. :(

-tkr

eddiez152    129

Tekker,

You certainly got spirt ! I have learned much from your trials and tribulations.

In my case I bought a new computer. That fixed everything until i screw it up again, that should take about 1yr and 7 months.:)

Almost like giving birth......................Just trying to cheer you up. ..................I know, shut up in the peanut gallery !

eddiez

Tekker    1
In my case I bought a new computer. That fixed everything until i screw it up again, that should take about 1yr and 7 months.:)

WOW!! You can last that long without screwing it up? I'm impressed! :D

-tkr

Stratrat    0
I lied !:)

LOL!

They say misery loves company, so I'll tell you that I'm going through the same thing with a video card right now, Tekker - absolutely giving me fits. I think I'm going to take the easy way out and just buy a new video card rather than diddling with the drivers and settings anymore....I've spent the last four days messing with it and I'm tired of it. Normally I refuse to let a computer defeat me, but there comes a point where you just gotta quit pussyfootin' around and get tough with it! :boxing: If I were in your boots and dealing with a high-$$$ sound card, I probably wouldn't be so quick to resort to that, though.....

Tekker    1

UPDATE:

I just got done re-loading Windows and it still doesn't work. :(

It "kind of" worked temporarily right after the install as all of the Q10's playback devices showed up in Sounds and Audio Devices Properties and I could play music files with media player. But as soon as I tried to play something in Samplitude using ASIO drivers the playback froze up and after that nothing would play at all (not even in media player). I rebooted the computer and again I could play with media player, but Samplitude would not play.

So I tried switching hard drives my old 6GB drive I used to use that still had Windows and Samplitude on it which I know worked fine right up until I stopped using it (so I figured this would be a good test). When I tried it on this drive I uninstalled/reinstalled the driver, and it messed up right from the start. The playback devices were missing in Sounds and Audio Devices Properties and I got an error message when trying to load Samplitude that it could not connect to the driver.

After putting the drives back, now this one is completely messed up also... I can't play media files anymore and the all but one of the playback devices are missing in the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties (and the one that shows up doesn't work).

I just got done testing the card on our family computer again, this time I loaded the same version of Samplitude over there and tried it again with the ASIO drivers.... It works just fine there! :dunno:

Everything is exactly the same on both computers, except for the computer itself. I have a completely fresh install of windows here and it doesn't work! All I have installed are the windows updates and an antivirus (which is also on the family computer).

Maybe in a little bit I'll try stripping everything off this computer (disabling the on-board sound, uninstalling the antivirus, removing my other hard drives/DVD drive, and my second video card) and try again.... But right now I need to get away from this thing (been working on it since yesterday evening) so I'm gonna go pound the "you know what" out of my drums and relieve some stress. :)

-tkr

Tekker    1

Also, I should have mentioned I deleted the old partition with windows on it and created a new one so I could do a completely clean install of windows.

-tkr

Tekker    1
I admire your spirit Tekker, good luck, sure you'll solve the problem

I sure hope so, but so far it isn't looking good..... I just stripped everything down and it still isn't working. :(

Here's what I did....

Uninstalled the Q10 driver and removed the card.

Disabled antivirus (the only thing currently running on my computer except windows, Samplitude, and firefox)

Unplugged all hard drives except the OS drive (which is partitioned and the program files are on one of the other partitions), the DVD drive, and the floppy drive. I removed my second video card and also unplugged the extra Firewire and USB connectors.

In the BIOS I disabled the following "onboard" stuff:

MIDI

Serial Ports 1 and 2

Audio

LAN

1394 (something else to do with the network)

Floppy controller

Then I booted up the computer with nothing on it and turned it off, plugged in the Q10 card and installed the driver again....

When it first came up it worked, so I started testing it and putting it through it's paces, then it locked up and now won't work at all.... So even when it was "working" it still wasn't working solidly. I've tried removing the Q10 driver/card and letting it boot up with no sound to reset it, then reboot (again) and reinstall the card/driver again but it won't come back now. The Q10 playback devices are missing in Sounds and Audio Devices Properties right after the reinstall.

Something is being stored somewhere that is conflicting with this card and I don't think it's in windows (though I could be wrong) as I did a clean install on a brand new partition and any old program registry entries should have been wiped out when I deleted the old partition.

Someone on another forum suggested replacing the CMOS batter and resetting the BIOS. So this is my next plan of attack.... I sure hope one of these fixes this thing as I'm about ready to give it the bench-to-floor check. :mad:

-tkr

skinnybloke    4

Someone on another forum suggested replacing the CMOS batter and resetting the BIOS.

-tkr

Won't work, either the battery is flat - or it's not.

Are any other devices sharing the S/cards IRQ?

Tekker    1

Reset the BIOS, no fix. The playback devices showed up in Sounds and Audio Devices Properties but would not play (the soundcard was "busy"). Upon reboot they were gone from the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties again. :(

As far as I know no other devices are left. I've removed everything from the PCI slots and disabled everything in the BIOS except the stuff I need to be able to run my computer (one video card and USB for my mouse).

-tkr

Tekker    1

Here's the latest update:

skinnybloke just sent me a PM and suggested switching video cards and.......

..........IT WORKS! :claping:

What's funny is I did try removing one of my video cards (I had two in before) but I just tried swapping them and it's working now. So apparently I left the one that was causing the problems in while doing all of my tests! LOL

I tried a test that caused it to crash and completely stop working before.... That didn't happen this time and even after a reboot it is still working.

I've tried all of the drivers MME and ASIO and both work now! I even loaded in a full project with effects and it's still going strong. I think that did it! :winkthumb:

...and now I'm going to take that video card outside and give it the thrashing of a lifetime. :D

-tkr

skinnybloke    4

I have a huge grin on my face:) :) Tekker! I think that out of every ten probs I try to solve over the net, about two work:crying2:. You've made my day (LOL I'm sure you feel the same). You made things a lot easier with your detailed posts:claping: :claping: .

I'm gonna go open a bottle of red to celebrate:yeahhh: :claping:

Skinny

...and now I'm going to take that video card outside and give it the thrashing of a lifetime. :D

-tkr

I would suggest a hammer:hammers:

Stratrat    0

Man, glad to hear you finally got it worked out. Video card - who'd have thought??? Computers can be absolutely maddening sometimes. I'd send you another bad video card to take your frustrations out on (I replaced mine and all is fine now), but I think I want to save the pleasure for myself! :devil2::hammer::boxing:

Tekker    1

NOOOOO!!! It's at it again. :(:(:(:(:(

I let it run overnight so I could test it today warmed up, and after rebooting the computer it went right back at it. The playback devices no longer show up.

It ran perfectly last night just enough to get my hopes up. I gave it a good testing and even played my guitar through it using the VST monitoring (with ASIO drivers) for 30min or so and thought for sure that it was fixed. But today it's acting up again.

Now I have to start the 5 stages of soundcard death all over again.

:dunno::reallymad::innocent::crying::yes:

I guess the next step is checking the memory. I've got two sticks in so I can test each one separately. I also have a RAM checker program that I used before when I had a bad stick of RAM... Before I had a very different problem when the RAM was bad, but it's worth a try.

-tkr