Tekker

Soundcard Dead?

I'm not much of a computer tech (I just know enough to be able to mess things up really good ;)) so hopefully one of the computer savvy members here can help with this....

My Aardvark Q10 soundcard keeps giving error messages that it can't connect to the driver.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled the driver, unplugged the PCI card and re-seated it, unplugged the connections from the PCI card and the breakout box, reinstalled the driver again.... and again.... and again.... I even tried moving the PCI card to a new slot (just in the odd chance it'd do anything).

Nothing has changed.

The Aardvark driver has always been very flaky and I run into this problem fairly often, but usually rebooting the PC fixes the problem or at the very worst, reinstalling the driver definitely fixes it. This is the first time it won't respond to any of the above, so I'm thinking it's something going on inside the card.

I was just using it a couple days ago to listen to music, and now all of a sudden it doesn't work and I haven't even touched it. The power indicator on the breakout box is on, so the lights are on, but nobody's home.

Am I out of luck here or does anyone have any other ideas to try?

-tkr

I'm no techie either, but it sounds to me like a port conflict{according to error message}...just a thought Tekker, wish I had more for you. Skimming thru some Aardvark forums, there was a few mentionings of Ethernet cards causing port conflicts....Hmmm

Hmmm ... this is a bit long winded

Go into BIOS on boot up. Check for onboard sound devices. See if is turned on/turned off.

If there is an onboard sound device.........

Exit out of bios without saving

Boot normal - make sure your other sound card is deleted in hardware and software.

Reboot to BIOS

Turn on onboard sound device - SAVE BIOS settings (probably F10)

Let it boot to normal and find the onboard device.

Then reboot to BIOS and turnoff sound device.

Reboot to make sure the onboard device is gone.

Reboot to clean OS without any sound.

Install your Aardvark software......

I know that's a hassle to reboot like that ..... but that's the same problem I had a couple weeks ago....

Doing that routine cleaned things up and opened IRQ's for sound....

And as my old boss would say, ask me no questions, I tell you no lies. :)

LC

Tekker,

I would have kept this a secret and got a different card.

LOL! Actually, I did bid on another one on ebay (since at the time it was really cheap), but it went higher than I was willing to go at the end.

LC,

I do use the onboard sound, so I know it's turned on. I'll give that a try and see if it fixes it.

I've been using the onboard sound along side my Q10 for about 2 years and it's been working fine, now all of a sudden just out of the blue it stops working. I'll never understand computers. :dunno:

-tkr

I've been using the onboard sound along side my Q10 for about 2 years and it's been working fine, now all of a sudden just out of the blue it stops working. I'll never understand computers. :dunno:

-tkr

Do you have another set of speakers you can hook up to the sound card to test the output? Maybe the speakers are acting up. Second thought, try a set of headphones too if you don't have another set of speakers.

What OS are you running?

John

Do you have another set of speakers you can hook up to the sound card to test the output? Maybe the speakers are acting up. Second thought, try a set of headphones too if you don't have another set of speakers.

I'm positive that it's not the speakers. I get an error message every time I try to play sound through the Aardvark device that says it cannot connect to driver or that the device is busy (even after a reboot).

Also, this soundcard has 5 playback/record devices that show up in the control panel's sound and audio devices properties (since it has multiple intputs/outputs). Whenever there is a problem with the driver only one of them shows up and I get the error messages mentioned above when I try to use it. I get this problem a lot as the driver is very flaky, but rebooting (or reinstalling the driver) always fixes the problem. This is the first time that none of these fixed it.

What OS are you running?

XP Pro SP2.

-tkr

OK, just tried it LC and it's still doing the same thing. Here's what I did:

Uninstalled the Aardvark drivers

Reboot and went into BIOS

Disabled onboard sound

Booted up computer and checked the Audio devices and it said there were no playback/recording devices.

Rebooted again (just for good measure)

Reinstalled Aardvark driver and rebooted

But still no change. :(

I'm also going to try removing the card and booting up without the card in just to see if that makes a difference.

Later I'm going to try moving the soundcard to another computer just to eliminate my computer as the source of the problem.

-tkr

Would'nt it be nice if all you had to do is use them and have to understand them.

Either way always nice to learn something here. Wish I could help.

Nice job fellas on the advice though.

I'm also going to try removing the card and booting up without the card in just to see if that makes a difference.

Nope, same thing. :(

Next up, moving it to the other computer, then I'm out of ideas.....

Would'nt it be nice if all you had to do is use them and have to understand them.

Yes it would! I love using computers, hate fixing them. ;)

-tkr

Well, I just tried it on the family computer and......

.....IT WORKS! :yeahhh:

So it's a software issue and my soundcard is fine. I'm going to let it run over here a while and let it warm up to make sure it's not just working because it was sitting for a while and the components cooled down.

But things are lookin' good so far!

So my next plan of attack is if it continues to work over here, then I'm going to install XP on a new partition (with nothing else on it) on my computer and see if it'll work.... Unless LC has some more things for me to try.... :winkthumb:

-tkr

Success !!!!!! AH !!!!!

Almost.... It still has to work on my computer. ;)

At least the problem has been narrowed down to my computer and not my soundcard.... I can live with that because the computer can be fixed. :)

-tkr

Hey Tek,

Here's a PDF for your sound card. I don't know if you have this or not. It has a troubleshooting section in it that maybe you can try.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pdf/man/m_703010.pdf

and

here's a link for XP drivers:

DriverGuide.com (printer drivers, cdrom drivers, modem drivers, sound drivers, mouse drivers, monitor drivers, etc.) - DriverGuide.com

John

Hey Tek,

Here's a PDF for your sound card. I don't know if you have this or not. It has a troubleshooting section in it that maybe you can try.

Thanks tonedeaf, I read through the troubleshooting guide but it doesn't have anything about driver problems. :(

here's a link for XP drivers:

Yep, that's the one I'm using. The old driver (the one that comes on the CD) won't work at all in XP.

PS. The soundcard is still working on the family computer, so it's passing the "burn in" test. :)

-tkr

I have a feeling that something in the registry is fubared.

If you are courageous then maybe go into regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet,Enum,PCI. Look in the tree right under each VEN_xxxx... and see if you find the device. I'd try deleting it and then reinstalling. By chance if you kill your OS then I'm sorry in advance:)

I know Aardvark has gone the way of the Dodo but is there any chance you could update the driver or are you on their last driver, I went on a few tech sites and a lot of people had the same problem. I don't know what updates are left for the Q10 but some of the people updated and solved the problem.

Or you could switch Computers when the Family's not looking:devil2:

I have a feeling that something in the registry is fubared.

If you are courageous then maybe go into regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet,Enum,PCI. Look in the tree right under each VEN_xxxx... and see if you find the device. I'd try deleting it and then reinstalling. By chance if you kill your OS then I'm sorry in advance:)

OK, I'll give that a try when I get home tonight.... It already doesn't work, so what do I have to loose? :D

I know Aardvark has gone the way of the Dodo but is there any chance you could update the driver or are you on their last driver, I went on a few tech sites and a lot of people had the same problem. I don't know what updates are left for the Q10 but some of the people updated and solved the problem.

Yep, I have the latest one. They only have two drivers, the XP driver and the non-XP driver.

Or you could switch Computers when the Family's not looking:devil2:

The only problem with that is mine's faster.... ;)

-tkr

OK, I found the tree with my soundcard in it and I tried getting rid of the whole tree and even individual components but it won't let me delete anything. :dunno:

BTW, I exported the whole tree with my card so if I mess things up I can stick it back in.

-tkr

Ok, two last ideas:

1) Disable your virus protection and try to reinstall your card software

2) Have you installed or upgraded any software recently? Working backward try to deinstall them and try your Q10 again.

You might have to wipe out your disk and reinstall again. Q10 only then go from there. Do your backups first though. :)

I haven't upgraded/installed anything between the time it was working and the time it went out. The day before it stopped working I had some music playing on my computer through this card and the next day it was all messed up. :dunno:

I'll try removing the antivirus tomorrow.

But if anyone knows why I can't delete the entries in the registry, I'd like to try that. After uninstalling the Q10 driver there was still all kinds of stuff in the registry from it. So this could very well be the problem if something got messed up in there that isn't being changed with an uninstall/reinstall.

If worse comes to worse I know I can always wipe everything and start over, but I really hate having to reinstall everything.... It takes FOREVER! :(

-tkr

OK, I found the tree with my soundcard in it and I tried getting rid of the whole tree and even individual components but it won't let me delete anything. :dunno:

BTW, I exported the whole tree with my card so if I mess things up I can stick it back in.

-tkr

Make sure you're logged in as Administrator on the PC.

If regedit does not allow you to delete a registry entry then use "regedt32". Depending on you OS, regedt32 may or may not be installed.

Of course.... editing the registry, I need give no warnings. It's at your own risk.

LC

Make sure you're logged in as Administrator on the PC.

I was, and all other users were logged off.

If regedit does not allow you to delete a registry entry then use "regedt32". Depending on you OS, regedt32 may or may not be installed.

regedt32 didn't allow me to delete either. The error messages I get are:

Cannot delete 123456 (whatever the name of the branch is): error while deleting key.

That's all it says.

-tkr