somedayillplaywell

Songs that you hate and everyone else loves

OK, here we go:

- Macarena - for years I was successful in never hearing anything but the first line of that song.

- All boy bands- New Kids on the Block, N-Sync, Backstreet, etc.

99% of rap post 1990 (where the gangsta style became dominant)

- Most of Madonna

- Top 40 music since the early 90's (I figure if there was actually any good Top 40 music since then I'll hear it sometime in the 2010's on the classic stations)

- Yngwie Malmsteen

I am proud to say that last week while looking in the paper I saw that I had never hear a single Top 10 "hit" in any category. I'm not going to waste my time on that garbage when I can listen to the good stuff that is being put on the net by folks like us doing music for the love of it first, and then for some, the money.

Finally found a song that I know lots of people like (no.1 in the UK and US charts) and that I can't stomach - Maggie May by Rod Stewart.

And if you're reading this, Rod (as I'm totally convinced you must be :laugh:) then I'm sorry - IMHO it is just awful.

[With further apologies to the forum for starting a sentence with 'and' :P]

Finally found a song that I know lots of people like (no.1 in the UK and US charts) and that I can't stomach - Maggie May by Rod Stewart.

And if you're reading this, Rod (as I'm totally convinced you must be :laugh:) then I'm sorry - IMHO it is just awful.

I'm sorry you don't like my song Ian, but that's cool:sneaky2: :sneaky2:

I actually thought it was better than "Tonight's the Night"....just.:yes:

And I did put an awful lot of effort into that recording.

From memory, it took two days to put down (some say it should have been put down, earlier), 250 cigarettes and 6 bottles of Glenfiddich:callbeer:.

It's this attention to detail that make my fans love me.

Appreciate the feedback.

Regards Rod

Anybody seen Britt lately?

You're so Vain - Carly Simon.

"I'll bet you think this song is about you, don't you?"

It is about him, isn't it?

Songs that you hate and everyone else loves....

Just about anything by the Beatles.

Yeah, yeah, I know. I've just never "gotten it". My personal opinion (and I know most will disagree) is that they are probably THE single most overrated band in the history of rock & roll.

For my fellow Australians - Khe Sahn. I tell people at gigs now that I have never heard of it, Jimmy Barnes or Cold Chisel when it is requested at gigs.

Oh, yeah, preach it.

That was the closing time song whenever I went out for a night on the tiles as a 15-19 yo (started young). It reminds me of the "ugly lights" coming on.

I was gonna say the Ketchup Song, but no Khe Sahn is much worse, and I love Chisel generally, too.

When I was in high school, we used to get stoned and listen to Dark Side of the Moon over and over and over. It was new and cool. Some time around 1990, I was going through my vinyl collection and found my copy. I put it on the turntable to find out if there wasn't one track that had been overlooked, not played to death. There wasn't. Disappointed, I put the album back in it's sleeve, took it outside and lit it on fire.

To expand on my comment from the other day, don't get me wrong. The music was amazing, innovative and inspirational. I've just heard it too many times.

As far as Hendrix is concerned, there's a few songs that have been played to death, but most of his catalog remains in the category of "OH WOW MAN, I HAVEN'T HEARD THAT TUNE IN YEARS!!!!"

Led Zeppelin is another band that's worn out it's welcome. Not by any fault of their own, but by the shear weight of repetition.

A lot of Lynard Skynard's stuff has also fallen into the same category, and for the same reasons. I LOVED "FREEBIRD" back in the 70's. By the 80's it was getting stale. By the 90's it had become annoying. By the turn of the century I had given up and tuned to talk radio!

So for what I see, basically, as it happens with me too, what people dislike are the songs that are played over and over and over and over.

"Stairway to Heaven" is one of the songs that you are forbidden to play in most guitar shops... as everyone plays it.

You could learn to play instead the song "Taurus" by "Spirit".

YouTube - Spirit - Taurus - 1968 - (slideshow)

Yes, Led Zeppelin had opened for them... Yes, there are similarities in "Stairway to Heaven".

So you go to the guitar shop, start playing the first notes of "Taurus", the guitar shop guy tells you you can't play that song, you keep playing and watch his face (sorry, I'm evil).

This song to this day still haunts me. I went to a lesson tonight and this 11 year old was asking me if I could teach them Sweet Child... It was then that I relised that:

Number 1 - I'm getting old...and

Number 2 - This song will haunt me....

Not only did I teach this to people that are old enough to be parents of 11 year olds but now the kids want to learn it!

Great Thread!!!

Matt B.

ok here is my number one all time hate it song, although not top 40 or covered by any bands....

its a small world afterall, its a small world afterall, its a small world afterall its a small small world......

pardon me but now i must go cut off my fingers for even typing the lyrics

Without a doubt....SWEET CHILD O'MINE...

That one is definitely up there too. Guitar shops should discontinue the "No Stairway" thing and start enforcing a "No Sweet Child" thing instead!!! :brickwall: