A-----------------------------------------

E-----------------------------------------

4 2 3 4 2 3 2 3

Pinky =1

ring = 2

Middle=3

#####=4

Thumb= 5

Thats how i play it. You need to use the neck pickup and tons of MIDs on your Eq :winkthumb:

I had a go and found that I didn`t use my middle finger - using GT`s finger numbers, I got 41241212. So my pinky was used a fair bit.

There`s no "correct" way of doing it so try a few ways and see which is easiest.

Will

Yes, true thing. I wrote it: "That´s how I play it". But also because when i use the pinky i tend to play unwanted strings. The muting strings factor is very important on this riff and when i get my fingers togeter i gain more control ;)

As you say GT, the control element is important with this riff - you don`t want odd notes creeping in especially when playing with distortion.

I reckon I use my pinky more because it reflects the way I finger a D shape barre chord, which is how I remember which fingers start where on this riff - my pinky is already on fret 15, string 2 when I start.

Will

Hey Scorpius--

I guess a purist might tell you:

index = 12th fret

middle= 13th fret

ring = 14th fret

pinky = 15th fret

And why not try it that way? Tricky and painful maybe, but it gets the lotion going in the fingers anyway. Me, I'm really not much of a purist. Sometimes, but rarely. You have to go with what works for you.

For this riff, I use:

index = 12th fret

middle = 14th fret on the D string, ring on the E string.

pinky = 15th fret

Steve

Hey Scorpius--

I guess a purist might tell you:

index = 12th fret

middle= 13th fret

ring = 14th fret

pinky = 15th fret

And why not try it that way? Tricky and painful maybe, but it gets the lotion going in the fingers anyway. Me, I'm really not much of a purist. Sometimes, but rarely. You have to go with what works for you.

For this riff, I use:

index = 12th fret

middle = 14th fret on the D string, ring on the E string.

pinky = 15th fret

Steve

Yeah, thanks. I'll be trying them too.

By the way, I had a chance reading upon your Playbook series lessons in WN. Very informative, stage-by-stage lesson and a good reference, too.

...By the way, I had a chance reading upon your Playbook series lessons in WN. Very informative, stage-by-stage lesson and a good reference, too.

Thanks for that. For my lessons here, I'm trying not to reinvent the wheel. I need to spend some more time on basics lessons, but I wanted to branch out. Thanks for the kudos.

Steve